IGNORED

The Official Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day Thread (Merged)

ploppy

12 minutes ago, AdamB said:

Sky Sports pay a not insignificant fee for these rights.

We do not have the rights to broadcast live video, just live audio.

From 2017/18 onwards this changes for live video, but only for users outside UK and Ireland.

Hope that explains the situation.

Regards,

Adam

TL:DR?

Get yourself a good VPN for next season!

Good day everyone,

In 2001, Leeds United were playing in the semi-final of the Champions League. Now it is synonymous with greed, mismanagement and chaos on and off the pitch. Longtime (and long-suffering) fan Richard Benson charts the rise, fall and fall even further of his hometown team. Apparently people in Leeds are chummy and open so opines Richard Benson again. A guard on the mainline train north, as it thunders through Leeds announces that "Yes, Manchester United has the Theatre of Dreams," and, pausing for effect, "While Leeds... has the comedy Playhouse." That is Benson's account of a journey by train to Leeds but frankly, while it sounds like it fits the bill, I doubt a train guard would announce such a thing unless he does not feel confident of coming to work the following morning, something of course many a Leeds manager has experienced.

From Ridsdale's dash for fame in the Champions League to the folly of an Italian owner sacking managers more often than we change the dish water. Leeds fans have suffered more than most. But you know what they say; you deserve the government or the owner you end up with or is that a little unfair? Financial mismanagement on such gargantuan scale has gone down in folklore as 'Doing a Leeds'. Maybe there is something in the air in Yorkshire or is it just the fair city of Leeds? Well, it is certainly not just Leeds United for Leeds City were expelled from the football league in the early 20th century for financial irregularities. Leeds United were soon voted in though and so the city had a league team again. Not a lot happened for Leeds United until, of course, Don Revie appeared in 1961. Revie was perhaps to Leeds as Ferguson was to United or, probably more accurately, as Clough was to Forest. Nothing had happened to Forest or Leeds before their heroes arrived. We have spoken of those playing heroes of Leeds before all of the names now in folklore and a few, such as Cooper and Hunter, even graced a City shirt. True greats of the game.

The dash for millions came and went and another team have delusions of grandeur, like Forest. A city of not too distant a population as ours down here in the fair south west still waiting for our era in the sun.

And so here we find ourselves soon to kick off a match with an unbeaten run of 3 matches behind us and the calls for Lee J to go dimming by the day. Can City continue their unbeaten run and thwart the now upwardly mobile Cellini owned, Monk managed Leeds? 

Hope you all enjoy the match today. Leeds has some fine hostelries if you do not. UTC

Thank you Hav for kicking things off so well as per usual.

Well done everyone making the trip to Leeds today.

I started a thread yesterday reminiscing about one of my best ever City moments as on 19th February 1974 I was one of of the 47,182. Who else witnessed this remarkable event? Which is captured brilliantly here: http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Forty three years on, almost to the day, and I have not experienced many such special moments as a City fan!  I remember our win at Elland Road being a headline on the BBC national news and all over the front pages of the papers the next day.

I was just 17 and when we scored (Donnie Gillies 73rd minute) I went completely berserk and nobody, absolutely nobody, anywhere near me moved.....the young, naive boyhood me suddenly realised I was surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans!

Be great to hear other memories of this famous win and equally good for us to repeat it tonight.

UTC

2 hours ago, AdamB said:

Sky Sports pay a not insignificant fee for these rights.

We do not have the rights to broadcast live video, just live audio.

From 2017/18 onwards this changes for live video, but only for users outside UK and Ireland.

Hope that explains the situation.

Regards,

Adam

Thanks for the info Adam, 

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you Hav for kicking things off so well as per usual.

Well done everyone making the trip to Leeds today.

I started a thread yesterday reminiscing about one of my best ever City moments as on 19th February 1974 I was one of of the 47,182. Who else witnessed this remarkable event? Which is captured brilliantly here: http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Forty three years on, almost to the day, and I have not experienced many such special moments as a City fan!  I remember our win at Elland Road being a headline on the BBC national news and all over the front pages of the papers the next day.

I was just 17 and when we scored (Donnie Gillies 73rd minute) I went completely berserk and nobody, absolutely nobody, anywhere near me moved.....the young, naive boyhood me suddenly realised I was surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans!

Be great to hear other memories of this famous win and equally good for us to repeat it tonight.

UTC

I was there also and suffered the same exhilarating/frightening experience of cheering when we scored.

The mainly adult fans near me simply looked/stared daggers, although the walk back to the supporters club coaches was pretty hair-raising - hundreds of irate Leeds fans looking for City fans of any age and a 'friendly' local PC, when asked if he would accompany us to the coaches for our safety, just swore and said it was our own fault for coming.

I do remember a comment following the draw a few days earlier from the late Don Revie (or was it Bill Shankly?) saying that he was looking forward to another Liverpool/Leeds clash in the next round.     

44 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

In 2001, Leeds United were playing in the semi-final of the Champions League. Now it is synonymous with greed, mismanagement and chaos on and off the pitch. Longtime (and long-suffering) fan Richard Benson charts the rise, fall and fall even further of his hometown team. Apparently people in Leeds are chummy and open so opines Richard Benson again. A guard on the mainline train north, as it thunders through Leeds announces that "Yes, Manchester United has the Theatre of Dreams," and, pausing for effect, "While Leeds... has the comedy Playhouse." That is Benson's account of a journey by train to Leeds but frankly, while it sounds like it fits the bill, I doubt a train guard would announce such a thing unless he does not feel confident of coming to work the following morning, something of course many a Leeds manager has experienced.

From Ridsdale's dash for fame in the Champions League to the folly of an Italian owner sacking managers more often than we change the dish water. Leeds fans have suffered more than most. But you know what they say; you deserve the government or the owner you end up with or is that a little unfair? Financial mismanagement on such gargantuan scale has gone down in folklore as 'Doing a Leeds'. Maybe there is something in the air in Yorkshire or is it just the fair city of Leeds? Well, it is certainly not just Leeds United for Leeds City were expelled from the football league in the early 20th century for financial irregularities. Leeds United were soon voted in though and so the city had a league team again. Not a lot happened for Leeds United until, of course, Don Revie appeared in 1961. Revie was perhaps to Leeds as Ferguson was to United or, probably more accurately, as Clough was to Forest. Nothing had happened to Forest or Leeds before their heroes arrived. We have spoken of those playing heroes of Leeds before all of the names now in folklore and a few, such as Cooper and Hunter, even graced a City shirt. True greats of the game.

The dash for millions came and went and another team have delusions of grandeur, like Forest. A city of not too distant a population as ours down here in the fair south west still waiting for our era in the sun.

And so here we find ourselves soon to kick off a match with an unbeaten run of 3 matches behind us and the calls for Lee J to go dimming by the day. Can City continue their unbeaten run and thwart the now upwardly mobile Cellini owned, Monk managed Leeds? 

Hope you all enjoy the match today. Leeds has some fine hostelries if you do not. UTC

There have been many top players who have played for both clubs , Mann, Taylor , Jordan and Hunter to name but four .

The spirit that Revie instilled into his teams was one of ' No surrender ' and winning at all costs . This didn't make him or his teams popular with the opposition or the media .

What I wouldn't give to have a half of that formidable self belief for our club .

Which City will turn up , the foppish ' After you Claudes ' or the hungry fighters and chancers who for 60 minutes against a top Derby side looked like World beaters ? 

I  am hoping that unlike a young lover on Valentine's Day we are mean and focused solely on the love of Bristol City and the desire to give our magnificent support something to cheer about as we ascend the table .

I fancy us for a draw if they haven't left everything at Pride Park or a dismal loss if they are washed out from their efforts .

Over to you LJ and chaps .

Do us proud .

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Afternoon Hav and all.

Going on skybet in a minute to do my accy. Gonna do my usual and put money on the opposition to win so City prove me wrong and win or draw.

Truthfully, I feel a 1-1 draw with a Taylor goal.

I do the same but against Derby had a bet on city to win nil :facepalm:

1 hour ago, RichardEdd said:

Do we know how many are traveling? The fans at Derby were amazing, totally out sung the Derby fans right till the end. I'm sure they'll be as amazing again today, do we know how many are traveling?

Around 250 tickets sold. POTD is available, but it's £5.00 extra.

Back to OP. LUFC now owned 50/50 by Radrizzani and Cellino. Cellino banned for 12 months from end of this week.  

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

There have been many top players who have played for both clubs , Mann, Taylor , Jordan and Hunter to name but four .

The spirit that Revie instilled into his teams was one of ' No surrender ' and winning at all costs . This didn't make him or his teams popular with the opposition or the media .

What I wouldn't give to have a half of that formidable self belief for our club .

Which City will turn up , the foppish ' After you Claudes ' or the hungry fighters and chancers who for 60 minutes against a top Derby side looked like World beaters ? 

I  am hoping that unlike a young lover on Valentine's Day we are mean and focused solely on the love of Bristol City and the desire to give our magnificent support something to cheer about as we ascend the table .

I fancy us for a draw if they haven't left everything at Pride Park or a dismal loss if they are washed out from their efforts .

Over to you LJ and chaps .

Do us proud .

Here is a list of players that have played for both clubs, hoping Ayling does not haunt us tonight with a M of the M performance!

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-news/21619/bristol-city-they-played-for-both

Leeds don't draw many games and have scored less than us. They've lost their last two games I believe, so are they in the start of a dip? 

I think it will be a close game and to be honest I think we could win if we learn quickly from Derby. Although I'd take a draw, 1-0 either-way is my guess.

Sat right on the fence then.  

Saw the home game in 1974 when Keith Fear scored and listened to the replay at Elland Road where Gillies scored the winner.  I even taped the recording which I think was regular reports rather than a commentary.  One of my greatest moments supporting City.

Tonights prediction is that we will be 2 - 0 up at half time and lose 3 - 2.

Archived