IGNORED

The Official Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day Thread (Merged)

ploppy

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Thank you Hav for kicking things off so well as per usual.

Well done everyone making the trip to Leeds today.

I started a thread yesterday reminiscing about one of my best ever City moments as on 19th February 1974 I was one of of the 47,182. Who else witnessed this remarkable event? Which is captured brilliantly here: http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Forty three years on, almost to the day, and I have not experienced many such special moments as a City fan!  I remember our win at Elland Road being a headline on the BBC national news and all over the front pages of the papers the next day.

I was just 17 and when we scored (Donnie Gillies 73rd minute) I went completely berserk and nobody, absolutely nobody, anywhere near me moved.....the young, naive boyhood me suddenly realised I was surrounded by thousands of Leeds fans!

Be great to hear other memories of this famous win and equally good for us to repeat it tonight.

UTC

I was there with my Dad and he claimed that the twenty minutes from the goal to final whistle was the longest twenty minutes of his life. I agreed with him. My late wife was there at her first ever football match and she asked me what had happened when Donnie scored, Oh, the naivety of some.

Time to find some backbone lads,  do it for us fans, and yourselves. You're more than good enough, time to start pulling up those bootstraps and restore some pride.

It's Leeds, that's the only team talk you need, play 90 like you did the 1st 45 at Derby and lets smash them.

COYR

Leeds friend said recently they just havnt clicked and lots of trepidation at home games because of recent success, and fans demanding wins. Said Cardiff came with plan to be solid at start, get crowd against home team and pressurise high up pitch. Said City counter attack style would suit away result, also said defence is shaky with pontius who was sick at weekend and not expected to play tonight. 

He said cliche but does depend a lot on first goal 

2 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Leeds friend said recently they just havnt clicked and lots of trepidation at home games because of recent success, and fans demanding wins. Said Cardiff came with plan to be solid at start, get crowd against home team and pressurise high up pitch. Said City counter attack style would suit away result, also said defence is shaky with pontius who was sick at weekend and not expected to play tonight. 

He said cliche but does depend a lot on first goal 

Pontus is set to return tonight. Bridcutt I believe is suspended though.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Good day everyone,

In 2001, Leeds United were playing in the semi-final of the Champions League. Now it is synonymous with greed, mismanagement and chaos on and off the pitch. Longtime (and long-suffering) fan Richard Benson charts the rise, fall and fall even further of his hometown team. Apparently people in Leeds are chummy and open so opines Richard Benson again. A guard on the mainline train north, as it thunders through Leeds announces that "Yes, Manchester United has the Theatre of Dreams," and, pausing for effect, "While Leeds... has the comedy Playhouse." That is Benson's account of a journey by train to Leeds but frankly, while it sounds like it fits the bill, I doubt a train guard would announce such a thing unless he does not feel confident of coming to work the following morning, something of course many a Leeds manager has experienced.

From Ridsdale's dash for fame in the Champions League to the folly of an Italian owner sacking managers more often than we change the dish water. Leeds fans have suffered more than most. But you know what they say; you deserve the government or the owner you end up with or is that a little unfair? Financial mismanagement on such gargantuan scale has gone down in folklore as 'Doing a Leeds'. Maybe there is something in the air in Yorkshire or is it just the fair city of Leeds? Well, it is certainly not just Leeds United for Leeds City were expelled from the football league in the early 20th century for financial irregularities. Leeds United were soon voted in though and so the city had a league team again. Not a lot happened for Leeds United until, of course, Don Revie appeared in 1961. Revie was perhaps to Leeds as Ferguson was to United or, probably more accurately, as Clough was to Forest. Nothing had happened to Forest or Leeds before their heroes arrived. We have spoken of those playing heroes of Leeds before all of the names now in folklore and a few, such as Cooper and Hunter, even graced a City shirt. True greats of the game.

The dash for millions came and went and another team have delusions of grandeur, like Forest. A city of not too distant a population as ours down here in the fair south west still waiting for our era in the sun.

And so here we find ourselves soon to kick off a match with an unbeaten run of 3 matches behind us and the calls for Lee J to go dimming by the day. Can City continue their unbeaten run and thwart the now upwardly mobile Cellini owned, Monk managed Leeds? 

Hope you all enjoy the match today. Leeds has some fine hostelries if you do not. UTC

Monk to out manouvre Johnson..

2-1 Leeds.

5 hours ago, AdamB said:

Sky Sports pay a not insignificant fee for these rights.

We do not have the rights to broadcast live video, just live audio.

From 2017/18 onwards this changes for live video, but only for users outside UK and Ireland.

Hope that explains the situation.

Regards,

Adam

They do which makes it all the more bewildering that i cannot somehow pay them to watch my team live. So it will be available next season but not if you live in the UK, utterly ridiculous and will make people break the law to view it. I dont think its much to ask, it needs sorting out.

6 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Monk to out manouvre Johnson..

2-1 Leeds.

Monk won't change his habit , Johnson to outmanouvre 'e .

C'mon me babbers .

I'm counting on you lot to night because Mrs Isewater has prepared a ' soirée ' truffles at Isewater acres and it may appear impolite if I hook up to the net for the match whilst our friends fill their faces . 

I will let her off this gross error this once because she suffers enough just being married to me .

It's the last minute of extra time and City are hanging on to a 2-2 draw. Luke Ayling sets off on a mazy run into the City penalty area beating 5 defenders, which leads to the winning goal. 

(He loses possession and leaves a gap in the Leeds defence, which Joe Bryan exploits to cross to Djuric to score from 5 yards)

went there in the late 60's (cant remember exact year) and Gary Sprake was sent off after an altercation with Chris Garland. We were in the away end and it became infiltrated with some Leeds yobbos intent on causing problems, twas a bit scary but it came to nothing.

Went to Elland Road with the whole family when City played them in 2010, when Jon Stead scored.

This is my take on them :

Leeds as a city is up itself. We stayed the night before in Sheffield, warm, friendly place by comparison

The fans are shit, horrible vibe at the ground, like Newcastle they think they've got a divine right and

the coppers are shit. They pushed past my mrs and daughter to get at my son who was celebrating with me when Steady scored. They grabbed hold of him and said they were taking him out of the ground. I grabbed hold of him and told them he's done nothing wrong and they would have to throw me out as well. Eventually they gave in.

Do 'em for me and my family. Come on my babbies!

16 minutes ago, tts_city said:

They do which makes it all the more bewildering that i cannot somehow pay them to watch my team live. So it will be available next season but not if you live in the UK, utterly ridiculous and will make people break the law to view it. I dont think its much to ask, it needs sorting out.

I am sure Adam knows more than me on this- in fact I am certain, but basically the reason is to prevent 3pm kick offs or games generally being on TV or streams in order to help protect lower League sides, lower league attendances. If all games were live, how many would just stay at home and watch PL big sides?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am sure Adam knows more than me on this- in fact I am certain, but basically the reason is to prevent 3pm kick offs or games generally being on TV or streams in order to help protect lower League attendances. If all games were live, how many would just stay at home and watch PL big sides?

in this day and age there has to be something workable for away matches, or will we get to 3017 and everyone is still listening in on the wireless ?

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Afternoon Hav and all.

Going on skybet in a minute to do my accy. Gonna do my usual and put money on the opposition to win so City prove me wrong and win or draw.

Truthfully, I feel a 1-1 draw with a Taylor goal.

BBC reporting that Taylor is a doubt with Hamstring??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38889193

6 minutes ago, tts_city said:

in this day and age there has to be something workable for away matches, or will we get to 3017 and everyone is still listening in on the wireless ?

I don't mind listening to football on the radio myself but generally tend to agree. The fact remains though the rule is there to protect small clubs. If I go purely on my own experience, this city- and this will be the same and maybe worse in small town sides-  this rule is there for a reason.

Example...someone where I worked not from Bristol or the West Country moved down here. Supports Liverpool and Bath Rugby- glory hunter in both codes!" Colleague who spends time between Bristol and Bath is off to a football match in a month...free ticket to Man U Old Trafford. So yeah in this era the rule has a strong case.

There has to be something workable, off the top of my admittedly dense brain, how about an addon for a season ticket holder, pay X amount above the ticket price to get all away matches streamed. Bums on seats are protected as its only available to season ticket holders, as i said there has to be something doable out there.

3 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

Magnusson fully fit and has been left at home again.

I want to wish my lads good luck tonight against Leeds. Onwards and upwards #BristolCity #CiderArmy

A pity. Not your fault Hordur. In times of doubt; think bank book :thumbsup:

Archived