IGNORED

Danny Wilson - where it all started

NickJ

In 2000 the board of directors led by John Laycock as chairman appointed Danny Wilson as manager to take over the mess left behind by Lenartson and Pulis and in his 4 seasons here finished as follows:

9th
7th
3rd
3rd

Laycock was ousted by Steve Lansdown as chairman who sacked Wilson and told us: "Trust me on Tinnion". I was at Swansea and felt really sorry for Tins.

Fully expecting abuse from some quarters, but nevertheless discuss, and justify on what grounds our owner should have himself been trusted to select a manager after that.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

In 2000 the board of directors led by John Laycock as chairman appointed Danny Wilson as manager to take over the mess left behind by Lenartson and Pulis and in his 4 seasons here finished as follows:

9th
7th
3rd
3rd

Laycock was ousted by Steve Lansdown as chairman who sacked Wilson and told us: "Trust me on Tinnion". I was at Swansea and felt really sorry for Tins.

Fully expecting abuse from some quarters, but nevertheless discuss, and justify on what grounds our owner should have himself been trusted to select a manager after that.

I miss Danny Wilson's City. We played fantastic football back then.

Oh how that play-off final was such a balls up.

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

I miss Danny Wilson's City. We played fantastic football back then.

Oh how that play-off final was such a balls up.

My sentiments exactly. His team was a dream to watch. His was an enjoyable era for me.

It was a shame that he allowed his players to piss it up so much but back in his playing days going out on the piss as a team was a bonding exercise. He never saw a problem with it.

I thought it was incredibly harsh to sack Wilson on the back of the play-off final defeat, even though we'd thrown away promotion; give him the first few games of the new season - I reckon he'd've taken us up in 04/05. What we got for the next couple of seasons was a heck of a lot worse than a one-goal playoff final defeat.

Lansdown on Danny Wilson "I made such a big mistake when I was Mary's prayer."

I jest of course, that was the other Danny Wilson. And Lansdown would never fess up to a mistake.

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

9th
7th
3rd
3rd

Good post. LJ is tinnion mark II. Beyond belief that SL has done it again. LJ has a much better squad though hence we havent taken any hammerings but he is just as out of his depth as tins was then. I think the job came too early for both of them if anything.

SL clearly is awful at choosing managers and that is why we keep on having to sack them. I wish he would leave well alone and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

My recollection is that Wilson wanted money for a sports psychologist for the players after the play off final and that was the final straw for SL who then sacked him. 

Unlike this season under LJ where a few of the players are showing signs that they might need a psychiatrist before he's finished!

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, the OP's assertion is that we should have given Wilson a fifth season to fail to get us out of L1, whilst ignoring Leroy Lita and allowing players to get pissed up?

I disagree.

No. It's that SL asked us to trust him on his judgement to replace Wilson with Tinnion, who transformed one of, if not the, best footballing sides at that level into a team destined for League 2. 

So why should we have ever have trusted him on managerial appointments afterwards is the point. 

27 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

No. It's that SL asked us to trust him on his judgement to replace Wilson with Tinnion, who transformed one of, if not the, best footballing sides at that level into a team destined for League 2. 

So why should we have ever have trusted him on managerial appointments afterwards is the point. 

Bearing in mind Cotts was Keith Dawe's man..... the SL track record is, frankly, unbelievable.  

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

My sentiments exactly. His team was a dream to watch. His was an enjoyable era for me.

It was a shame that he allowed his players to piss it up so much but back in his playing days going out on the piss as a team was a bonding exercise. He never saw a problem with it.

The ' nearly ' season culminating in the play off final was the won where he sacrificed the beautiful game for results.

Danny Wilson ' Always the Bridesmaid ' .

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So, the OP's assertion is that we should have given Wilson a fifth season to fail to get us out of L1, whilst ignoring Leroy Lita and allowing players to get pissed up?

I disagree.

I think his point is more that Lansdown has never really been a success or delivered on his personal goals since he took the reigns and fired Danny Wilson.

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

My recollection is that Wilson wanted money for a sports psychologist for the players after the play off final and that was the final straw for SL who then sacked him. 

Unlike this season under LJ where a few of the players are showing signs that they might need a psychiatrist before he's finished!

We needed an alcohol counsellor not a sports psychologist :drunk2:

32 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think his point is more that Lansdown has never really been a success or delivered on his personal goals since he took the reigns and fired Danny Wilson.

NickJ has had a resentment towards Lansdown for years so to see him come out criticise when his appointed manager is truggling is no surprise.

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

9th
7th
3rd
3rd

Nick, not sure if you saw my post last week which summarises 14 years of Lansdown rule:

I think you'll find SL actually said "Judge me on Tinnion" so perhaps even worse!

The reality gets yet worse when you consider that it is widely understood that SL was a 'Pulis man' when the board was split on appointing either him or Moyes! Oh, what could've been!

So SL's managerial picks have been somewhere along the lines of: Pulis, Wilson (to my knowledge), Tinnion, G Johnson, Coppell, Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll, L Johnson. Perhaps harsh but I won't include Cotterill who was really Dawe's man.

Of those 9 'picks' arguably, only 1 has really been successful - Gary Johnson.

In that same time period, and from starting in the bottom division, Swansea have had Kenny Jackett, Roberto Martinez, Paulo Sousa, Brendan Rogers, Michael Laudrup, and now Paul Clement who in my opinion will do a great job. Quite a few 'successes' there...

20 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I'd call Gary Johnson a success. The rest, no so much.

Was GJ selected by Keith Dawe? We all know Cotts was. 

Or was GJ the only Lansdown choice that actually worked?

Edit: KITR just said he was a Lansdown choice. 

Also never knew it was between Pulis and Moyes. Completely mad to think what could have been...

8 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Good post. LJ is tinnion mark II. Beyond belief that SL has done it again. LJ has a much better squad though hence we havent taken any hammerings but he is just as out of his depth as tins was then. I think the job came too early for both of them if anything.

SL clearly is awful at choosing managers and that is why we keep on having to sack them. I wish he would leave well alone and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

He did it with Millen too! Please can we have no more ex players other than Moyes!

41 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Was GJ selected by Keith Dawe? We all know Cotts was. 

Or was GJ the only Lansdown choice that actually worked?

Edit: KITR just said he was a Lansdown choice. 

Also never knew it was between Pulis and Moyes. Completely mad to think what could have been...

I was always a Scott Davidson fan. He had the Simon Jordan ruthless streak. What is Scott up to these days? 

59 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Moyes has gone on record saying he had accepted the job in principle and was flying back from his holidays to discuss terms when he landed and discovered Pulis had accepted the job and signed a contract.

Oh what could have been, indeed.

I've always had mixed views on Wilson.  Yes, his teams were great to watch, but given the quality it was scandalous that he couldn't get us promoted.  I always thought the 'bottlers' tag which others threw at us was entirely justified.

In the end I feel his time was a failure because ultimately he achieved little apart from a minor trophy, and left no legacy, except a mess for Gary Johnson to sort out (Tins having avoided dealing with the drinking culture).

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I've always had mixed views on Wilson.  Yes, his teams were great to watch, but given the quality it was scandalous that he couldn't get us promoted. 

The team regularly included six + local lads. It was hardly Manchester City.

My theory for what it's worth.

In the final League game (home to Blackpool) leading up to the P/O final v Brighton, City were winning, but so to was the team above us. The East End chanted "Danny, Danny give us a wave" and he did so. He was not smiling though. I believe the club had budgeted for promotion and auto was slipping away in front of us. That is why after the P/O final DW was relieved of his duties.

As the Financial Plan had now gone out the window, a cheap fix was sought; hence Tinman's appointment.

Archived