IGNORED

Huddersfield - BOYCOTT

Benjam!n Ultra

Boycott Huddersfield  

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You may have forgotten this, but when Lee's then high-flying Oldham side came to a lowly L1 and looked a class-ahead, Otib posters were falling over each other to praise LJ and more than one spoke of him as a "future Bristol City manager in making". Maybe Steve really does read the forum?  :dunno:

They lost though.

See a pattern?

11 hours ago, allyolly said:

Spot on with this post!

I would add to your examples above Brighton & Hove Albion. Completely shafted by the owners and chairman in the late 90s and ended up playing home games 70 miles away in Gillingham (and we complained having to go there 3 times in one season!). Then played at Withdean Athletic track where there was only one covered stand to speak of - remember City fans doing the long jump at half time one season we were there!

Course nobody is happy as this season has been a complete disaster and could still get worse but let's just be careful what we wish for.

Where are they now though?

The ground improvements aside there have been no positives at all from Lansdown's time, bar 3 seasons under GJ.

Les Kew was a pauper compared to SL but we were no worse on the pitch, with far, far less to spend.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

They lost though.

See a pattern?

I'm not writing this as a hymn of praise for Johnson's ability. 

Just as a rejoinder to those who posted here praising the "up-and-coming young manager", "good coach" and "great fit for City" but now are calling Lansdown "an idiot" for appointing him.

I'm glad to say you never fall into this category Graham,  but you see the pattern there? It's called hypocrisy. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Where are they now though?

The ground improvements aside there have been no positives at all from Lansdown's time, bar 3 seasons under GJ.

Les Kew was a pauper compared to SL but we were no worse on the pitch, with far, far less to spend.

Let's be fair, you didn't have to spend that much in Les's day. You didn't have clubs in the second tier receiving £40m parachute payments in one season.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not writing this as a hymn of praise for Johnson's ability. 

Just as a rejoinder to those who posted here praising the "up-and-coming young manager", "good coach" and "great fit for City" but now are calling Lansdown "an idiot" for appointing him.

I'm glad to say you never fall into this category Graham,  but you see the pattern there? It's called hypocrisy. 

RR

Was there many praising the appointment ?

And are you suggesting the same posters are now criticising it ?

If so , is that based on memory , research or a punt ?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

RR

Was there many praising the appointment ?

And are you suggesting the same posters are now criticising it ?

If so , is that based on memory , research or a punt ?

It's based on memory and a keen understanding of the boundless hypocrisy of humanity. 

I think the overall tone was a bit underwhelmed but - having seen various football "sages" write-off Cotterill before a ball had been kicked - most were willing to see how it went. A number of posters had been positively advocating LJ  though. That is fact.

It didn't take long for people to portray Johnson as the best thing since sliced bread and Lansdown as astute for having appointed him. Among their numbers are some who now apparently knew all along he didn't have the right stuff. 

One amusing thing is the generally unpopular as a player Lee Johnson was talked about as a "good midfielder for us" and someone who was "unfairly targeted by the crowd" during the honeymoon period Now he's failing he has reverted to having been a "shit player". :whistle:

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's based on memory and a keen understanding of the boundless hypocrisy of humanity. 

I think the overall tone was a bit underwhelmed but - having seen various football "sages" write-off Cotterill before a ball had been kicked - most were willing to see how it went. A number of posters had been positively advocating LJ  though. That is fact.

It didn't take long for people to portray Johnson as the best thing since sliced bread and Lansdown as astute for having appointed him. Among their numbers are some who now apparently knew all along he didn't have the right stuff. 

One amusing thing is the generally unpopular as a player Lee Johnson was talked about as a "good midfielder for us" and someone who was "unfairly targeted by the crowd" during the honeymoon period Now he's failing he has reverted to having been a "shit player". :whistle:

Ta 

Quite interesting in a few ways

I recall , possibly wrongly that there were quite a lot of doubters at the time of appointment but only have a general recollection and certainly not who did / didnt save one or two

in my experience a lot of the current LJ supporters are likely to be the ones who backed the appointment as they do with every appointment and remain backing the Club whatever is going on

There will be some who backed his appointment but will now say that they've changed their mind on him which is understandable in the circumstances

I get the feel that there are some who were behind him to start with , and have said so, but who have lcompletely lost faith and some of them are now amongst his fiercest critics (That rings alarm bells for me)

I can't believe that there are more than 2 or 3  ? ( Think there is one ) That were against his appointment but have now changed and are behind him 

Could be wrong in all aspects but it would be interesting to see how the / any opinions may have changed  !!!

If you took out the backers at any cost and the don't want him anywhere near the club (Set Minds ?) ( All opinions on appointment) (Except those with a change of mind either way)

Do you think the remainders current assessment would give the most accurate (overall) view of the situation and his reign to date at the club ?

Interesting 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ta 

Quite interesting in a few ways

I recall , possibly wrongly that there were quite a lot of doubters at the time of appointment but only have a general recollection and certainly not who did / didnt

in my experience a lot of the current LJ supporters will be the ones who backed the appointment as they do with every appointment and remain backing the Club whatever is going on

There will be some who backed his appointment but will now say that they've changed their mind on him which is understandable in the circumstances

I can't believe that there are more than 2 or 3  ? ( Think there is one ) That were against his appointment but have now changed and are behind him 

Could be wrong in all aspects but it would be interesting to see how the opinions may have changed 

If I could be arsed I could dig out the old glowing pro-Lee comments from some of what are known these days as the h8ers. 

I was doubtful about his pedigree.  He hadn't seemed to have achieved that much before. But posters reminded me that Alan Dicks had never managed before City, so - as I tend to do - I was willing to give him a chance to prove himself.

Now it's been shown he cannot manage at Championship level, he should have been jettisoned long ago.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If I could be arsed I could dig out the old glowing pro-Lee comments from some of what are known these days as the h8ers. 

I was doubtful about his pedigree.  He hadn't seemed to have achieved that much before. But posters reminded me that Alan Dicks had never managed before City, so - as I tend to do - I was willing to give him a chance to prove himself.

Now it's been shown he cannot manage at Championship level, he should have been jettisoned long ago.

I've edited my post to try and explain why I was asking and how I was trying to gauge the overall sways of opinion or otherwise - nothing too important just interesting in a curiosity sort of way !

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Brighton have never received that.

Nor Swansea. Nor Bournemouth so far

Villa, Norwich and Newcastle have though and they are among the teams we face this season.

You're on to a loser if you're trying to argue that football was as expensive in Les Kew's time as it is today. Even allowing for inflation. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I've edited my post to try and explain why I was asking and how I was trying to gauge the overall sways of opinion or otherwise

With anyone the only proof of the pudding is the eating. There have been umpteen cases of managers who've failed at one club and succeeded elsewhere, and vice versa.  The variables are just to wide to compare one situation with another. If they weren't,  football would be like FM17. 

I find it best to keep an open mind about things. We've seen LJ make error after error, so it's unlikely I'm going to change it there.

12 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

The day going to watch City is just about the result is probably the day I pack it in.  

I enjoy spending time with friends at the football, exchanging banter, celebrating the good times, moaning about the bad times.  

But more than anything I love and I mean absolutely love that following City has given me a special bond with my daughter that I will treasure always. I love the time we spend chatting about City, what the team might be, what the score will be. I love that she pesters me to take her to away games like Ipswich on a cold foggy night when she knows as well as I do that it will more than likely end in misery. I love that despite that she still desperately wants to go through it all again at the next away game. I really love that despite getting hit in the head with a smoke bomb she still wants to go to the next away game. 

I love that we share all that because of City so whilst I respect everyone's right to boycott I'm afraid I won't be staying away from games to support it

CTID

I don't think for many City fans it is about the results. For me the football has been secondary and having a laugh with my friends is why I go. However AG is no longer a place that is fun to be. Not only is it toxic and hostile, but it has been getting duller and duller for some time. The atmosphere has been getting steadily poorer and poorer and it feels less and less like home. These results for me have been the straw that broke the camels back. It feels like BCFC is getting less red and more beige every day.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Villa, Norwich and Newcastle have though and they are among the teams we face this season.

You're on to a loser if you're trying to argue that football was as expensive in Les Kew's time as it is today. Even allowing for inflation. 

Not trying to argue that at all. Simply saying that being financially disadvantaged (which we shouldn't be anyway) isn't a hindrance to success.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Not trying to argue that at all. Simply saying that being financially disadvantaged (which we shouldn't be anyway) isn't a hindrance to success.

Indeed. My point about parachute payments was a response to a post pointing out how little money directors in the past had compared to Landsdown. 

51 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was doubtful about his pedigree.  He hadn't seemed to have achieved that much before. But posters reminded me that Alan Dicks had never managed before City, so -

as I tend to do - I was willing to give him a chance to prove himself.

I think this is where there is a lot of 'confusion and angst' happens recently actually 

As I see it there are in very simple terms three general sections

A) There are quite a section who are strong backers of the Club and some ? / most ? in anything to so with the Club (Whether SL , LJ , or anything else) and they are entitled to their view

B) There appears to be quite a Section that think LJ should be gone, are often less 'demonstrative' than some and still want to back 'The Club' and / or the players - again entitled to their view

C) There is obviously a large Section spread in degrees of passion  who want LJ Out. and Now and they vary from ones who post strongly that they want him out but want him gone to those planning a Nov 5th plot - again entitled to their views

Through my years as a red I've generally been in the B) set in any given situation - Never backed the Club blindly but generally fully behind the regime and certainly the players with one or two periods where they made me sick

The conflict on here generally emanates more from the extremes at opposite ends of the scale in A) and C) and it appears to me , those in B) get mistaken for belonging in A)

Ive never known such a wide divide at this club as there now is in those cases

For me personally , I feel midway up C) (with additional) increasing concerns in MA and 'disappointment' in SL )

I can understand those who openly say 'Johnson should be gone but I won't protest and I will support the team'

I struggle with those that back LJ but can't give a reason other than 'hope' , 'I believe' or 'I always back the manager'

and those who just find excuse after excuse for him and will not hear let alone express a single criticism

Despite one of the first to want LJ moved out I have and will still back him on individual points or in relation to particular posts - I didn't like the banners , the petition but I'll openly say that I'm really concerned just what a deep hole LJ backed by MA/SL are going to take us and what a mess is going to be left behind when it finishes

Thus I am all for showing the Club just how p***d off how a Section of supporters (Whatever % that may be) in appropriate and lawful ways 

Whatever anyone says the club have recently demonstrated (Or tried to:blink:) that they are concerned about the vibe and  I think they need to 

I am still more than ready to hear some argument or even better see some evidence that LJ can turn the ship around and I will happily eat humble pie

But for the life of me and all my years of football in various ways , I just can't see it , and if that's right the whole Club is IMHO going to be more and more volataile and toxic and is going to leave IMHO some lasting damage and scars on this occasion ( Unless LJ performs one of the great turnarounds of the modern era)

I sadly believe we are destined for the drop , I pray that I'm wrong

If indeed we do  return to League One it's going to cost the Club in terms of income and reputation

Its also going to need SL to dig deep financially and find the right manager to get us back up (As I don't believe LJ is that man - he may have more of a chance at that level but is yet to prove so in his minimal career)

Our history suggests that the odds of the first new man (Even if LJ does go) is unlikely to be the one that will get us back up so that takes me to the conclusion that it's unlikely , possibly highly so that we will bounce back to the Championship (And start again) at the first , second , third ? Attempt (Historically it has taken us 8 seasons)

That depresses me if I'm honest

Particularly so as , having witnessed our first League Title in nigh on 50 years of support , with a cracking side playing great football (As good as I've witnessed) and winning the title with pomp I actually thought we had the best momentum we've ever had in my years (1990 a close second) and with a very slim squad, the opportunity to add and tweak that squad to continue to the momentum

I won't bother reopening the intervening period but we now find ourselves with a large squad (The most expensive in our history) and dropping like a stone and looking nailed on for a almighty drop , with the L1 title winning squad and staff all but dismantled and discarded , a divided squad ,

Personally I believe and it appears a lot of people feel that way and the farce of failing to capitalise on our situation in May 15 and the waste of a wonderful opportunity is ,I believe fuelling and behind a lot of the anger

So add to that and  a Head Coach is not appreciated / rated / and by at least a majority of the fan base , increasing criticism and scepticism of the owner , some awful PR repeatedly slipping from the club , staff coming and going on a Magic Roundabout.....  

What an almighty ********** mess whatever way you look at it

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think this is where there is a lot of 'confusion and angst' happens recently actually 

As I see it there are in very simple terms three general sections

A) There are quite a section who are strong backers of the Club and some ? / most ? in anything to so with the Club (Whether SL , LJ , or anything else) and they are entitled to their view

B) There appears to be quite a Section that think LJ should be gone, are often less 'demonstrative' than some and still want to back 'The Club' and / or the players - again entitled to their view

C) There is obviously a large Section spread in degrees of passion  who want LJ Out. and Now and they vary from ones who post strongly that they want him out but want him gone to those planning a Nov 5th plot - again entitled to their views

Through my years as a red I've generally been in the B) set in any given situation - Never backed the Club blindly but generally fully behind the regime and certainly the players with one or two periods where they made me sick

The conflict on here generally emanates more from the extremes at opposite ends of the scale in A) and C) and it appears to me , those in B) get mistaken for belonging in A)

Ive never known such a wide divide at this club as there now is in those cases

For me personally , I feel midway up C) (with additional) increasing concerns in MA and 'disappointment' in SL )

I can understand those who openly say 'Johnson should be gone but I won't protest and I will support the team'

I struggle with those that back LJ but can't give a reason other than 'hope' , 'I believe' or 'I always back the manager'

and those who just find excuse after excuse for him and will not hear let alone express a single criticism

Despite one of the first to want LJ moved out I have and will still back him on individual points or in relation to particular posts - I didn't like the banners , the petition but I'll openly say that I'm really concerned just what a deep hole LJ backed by MA/SL are going to take us and what a mess is going to be left behind when it finishes

I am still more than ready to hear some argument or even better see some evidence that LJ can turn the ship around and I will happily eat humble pie

But for the life of me and all my years of football in various ways , I just can't see it , and if that's right the whole Club is IMHO going to be more and more volataile and toxic and is going to leave IMHO some lasting damage and scars on this occasion ( Unless LJ performs one of the great turnarounds of the modern era)

I sadly believe we are destined for the drop , I pray that I'm wrong

If indeed we do  return to League One it's going to cost the Club in terms of income and reputation

Its also going to need SL to dig deep financially and find the right manager to get us back up (As I don't believe LJ is that man - he may have more of a chance at that level but is yet to prove so in his minimal career)

Our history suggests that the odds of the first new man (Even if LJ does go) is unlikely to be the one that will get us back up so that takes me to the conclusion that it's unlikely , possibly highly so that we will bounce back to the Championship (And start again) at the first , second , third ? Attempt (Historically it has taken us 8 seasons)

That depresses me if I'm honest

Particularly so as , having witnessed our first League Title in nigh on 50 years of support , with a cracking side playing great football (As good as I've witnessed) and winning the title with pomp I actually thought we had the best momentum we've ever had in my years (1990 a close second) and with a very slim squad, the opportunity to add and tweak that squad to continue to the momentum

I won't bother reopening the intervening period but we now find ourselves with a large squad (The most expensive in our history) and dropping like a stone and looking nailed on for a almighty drop , with the L1 title winning squad and staff all but dismantled and discarded , a divided squad ,

Personally I believe and it appears a lot of people feel that way and the farce of failing to capitalise on our situation in May 15 and the waste of a wonderful opportunity is ,I believe fuelling and behind a lot of the anger

So add to that and  a Head Coach is not appreciated / rated / and by at least a majority of the fan base , increasing criticism and scepticism of the owner , some awful PR repeatedly slipping from the club , staff coming and going on a Magic Roundabout.....  

What an almighty ********** mess whatever way you look at it

Yep, I'm in the B) category. I will continue going even though I think he is the wrong man for the job.

Despite what others think, I personally do not find the football "dire" this season. The results are "dire" yes, but with some exceptions  (like Fulham) there have been some quite entertaining home games.

I also have been pleased with how the players are generally giving 100% despite being sent out at a disadvantage thanks to LJ.  The Norwich game was an example of that, players trying to safeguard their Championship credentials.  It gives me a small glimmer of hope that we'll squeak to a safe finish.

There's a  lot of OTT vitriol at the moment about how Johnson is leading the club "to oblivion". He isn't;  he's quite likely leading us to L1. The two aren't the same.

Funnily enough, in the genuinely dire McInnes/SOD season there were some SOD "true believers" who opined that a spell in L1 would be good for the club! :facepalm:

I don't think that, but neither is it "oblivion" either.

BTW I dont think we have a particularly large squad. Cover for all positions is pretty standard and under Cotts we just didn't have that. Lee had to increase the squad size.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, I'm in the B) category. I will continue going even though I think he is the wrong man for the job.

Despite what others think, I personally do not find the football "dire" this season. The results are "dire" yes, but with some exceptions  (like Fulham) there have been some quite entertaining home games.

I also have been pleased with how the players are generally giving 100% despite being sent out at a disadvantage thanks to LJ.  The Norwich game was an example of that, players trying to safeguard their Championship credentials.  It gives me a small glimmer of hope that we'll squeak to a safe finish.

There's a  lot of OTT vitriol at the moment about how Johnson is leading the club "to oblivion". He isn't;  he's quite likely leading us to L1. The two aren't the same.

Funnily enough, in the genuinely dire McInnes/SOD season there were some SOD "true believers" who opined that a spell in L1 would be good for the club! :facepalm:

I don't think that, but neither is it "oblivion" either.

BTW I dont think we have a particularly large squad. Cover for all positions is pretty standard and under Cotts we just didn't have that. Lee had to increase the squad size.

Yes , too be fair I'd agree - the word large was wrong (Well for the Championship anyway !) and complete bad from me as it wasn't what I meant to say :facepalm:)

Im more concerned about the balance and harmony than numbers - my bad

I also think the Squad lacks balance in terms of quality - 

In simple terms, as us at this time in Championship I'd be aiming for

%25 of First Team Squad - Players with proven genuine ability at this level and the spine and the ones we'd look to impact on results predominantly

%50 of First Team Squad who are steady at this level - the 7/10 ers but rarely a 9

%25 of First Team Squad Under 24 - capable of filling in on rare occasions but have real potential to be either of the above

Not sure we have that balance - I don't think we have enough of the first category and too many that don't make either the second or the third

21 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well if the love child is still in place next they'll have 11.000 rattling around inside Ashton in league 1 . What a legacy lansdown will leave us. 

Harry Dolman built a stand and delivered top flight football.  

Lansdown built 2 1/2 stands and delivered more or less abject failure on the pitch. 

Cotterill wasn't his appointment before anyone mentions him. 

Its just a sad, sad state of affairs :(

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's be fair, you didn't have to spend that much in Les's day. You didn't have clubs in the second tier receiving £40m parachute payments in one season.

That is fair and true, but Preston and Barnsley are proving this season that being well run & well managed matter more than having an incompetent coach with lots of money.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That is fair and true, but Preston and Barnsley are proving this season that being well run & well managed matter more than having an incompetent coach with lots of money.

Thing is Graham, I don't know if the money has been spent badly*.

It's just the players have been deployed in the wrong way.

That's what frustrates me most: I think the right "clubs are in the bag" as Johnson Sr would say, it's just Johnson Jr doesn't know a sand wedge from a 5 iron.

* possible exception Engval,  but we haven't seen enough to properly gauge that.

I was discussing the idea of boycotting this game and going to the pub and watch with mates instead but I'm not sure if it will achieve the objectives set out. 

We have already paid our money, well those that are season ticket holders have so the only ones missing out are us. It would be a bigger signal to the powers that be if we simply didn't spend any more money in the ground. Go to the pub or shop or nearby cafe. Buy food from the chippy's and pies or pasties from the Clarks van. Go to the game meet your friends but don't give them any more money. They'll soon start to take notice if match day income drops off a cliff! Money talks! Unfortunately. 

Archived