IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Just now, Super said:

The Aussies haven't done anything apart from bang it in short and wait for the mistake.

If we just bat normally for an hour, duck and ignore their bouncers,  when we’re 190 for 1 their bowlers will soon be tired and with Lyon looking injured for now we could then go on and grind them into the ground. Alas now we could be in for who knows what 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

It’s a pretty good tactic and maybe the first real test of Bazball, it’ll certainly take some discussing at the next team meeting.

It shouldn't be a good tactic if we use some common sense. 

10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Honestly, half our armchair fans deserve to watch Keaton Jennings shoulder arms to a straight one for eternity. 

More tantrums than a pre-school lunch break. 

If you're happy with us chucking wickets away then fair enough.

Another moronic shot.

Just now, Lew-T said:

What are we doing?

Trying to lose the Ashes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Honestly, half our armchair fans deserve to watch Keaton Jennings shoulder arms to a straight one for eternity. 

More tantrums than a pre-school lunch break. 

Yep you’re right. We should be buzzing to just chuck our wickets away on a flat pitch. 

With Broad who is not great against the short stuff in at 8 , then the rest of the tail, we have 3 left to get the runs. Stokes has been thrashing at everything lately and hitting very little (hope I'm wrong) , so Bairstow and Brook really need to get the majority of the runs if we are going to get close.

It feels like we are going old school and sliding to capitulation.

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Is it only poor shot selection if you get out? 

KP has made a brilliant point re Ollie Pope's wicket. He's chosen the right shot and not executed. 

Is a forward defensive the wrong shot if the ball seams and takes the edge? 

Ben Duckett has left c.12 balls in his test career. He hits the ball. He's scored 98 today with that method. He scored 180 the other week. 

Does every wicket need to be "******* pathetic" or "braindead" according to some blokes who probably last picked up a cricket bat in the early 90's? 

The game has changed. 

It's not just a poor shot selection if you get out. It's a poor shot selection regardless. The game has moved on, but the best test sides are Australia and India, two sides who are plenty aggressive but tempered with common sense cricket. 

• Like 1

I love Bazball and as someone else pointed out it’s still early ish days.

But they’ve got to be a bit more clever than they are. I mean if I played that shot Brook just played in a pub match I’d be batting at 11 the next game and for him to play a school playground shot like that in an Ashes test is ridiculous when he’s talented enough to make quick runs without doing stupid things like that. 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We were doing stupid shit like this long before Bazball was ever a thing. Not that the people who are absolutely desperate to jump all over it at the first sign of trouble will take a blind bit of notice.

Spot on, NR.

We had control of the game until Pope’s dismissal, and every one of our four wickets have been gifts to Australia borne out of the fact we didn’t have the patience to sit in for a few overs to tire out their bowlers - who are also down to four men with Lyon’s injury. That’s exactly the sort of situation I said earlier that I wished we would read better. 

• Like 3

This is what we should have aimed for. They have 2nd string spinners bowling and the quicks are looking tired. 

We could have been 250 for 2/3 and looking at a possible lead, as it is we are hoping our 3 remaining batters & the tail can get us close.

24 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

But if he middled it into central London you'd be clapping away.

If you think the hook shot is so poor, please be consistent and never celebrate or enjoy a well executed one again. That would be hypocritical. 

I have nothing against the hook shot but you've got to choose the right  ball to hit. He was never in the right position, got cramped up and was caught a good 10 yards in from the boundary. 

12 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

@Jimbo123 Hey Wac, saved up another days worth of emoji's for me I see? 

I suppose Russ hasn't got much scouting for you during the off season... 

Probably because he has no idea what you're on about.

Edited by Super

• Admin
1 hour ago, tin said:

Can’t argue with much of what you say in theory, but you add two wickets to our score - and one often brings two - and all of a sudden the aggressive approach looks a bit daft. I love Bazball but I would like to see us read situations a bit better at times. 

I honestly don't think we can adapt 

My reading of Lyons injury was that England have been unlucky with injuries and now it has hit Aus too. This is a big chance for us if he can't bowl again this match. It should have prompted a change of tactic from Eng from attacking shots to wearing the Aus bowlers down, then capitalise.

If it was the other way around Aus would put their foot on our throat and not let go. We seem to act like a fist fight in the movies, let the bad guy get up for another swing.

• Like 2

I wonder if the batters that are out are asking Stokes what he thinks he’s doing playing sensibly or Stokes asking them what the hell they were doing with some of their shots.

All in all a very good days cricket that England can claim they just about got the better of.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I wonder if the batters that are out are asking Stokes what he thinks he’s doing playing sensibly or Stokes asking them what the hell they were doing with some of their shots.

Quite.

A spiky interview between Duckett and Aggers on TMS just now. Duckett was having none of any change in approach, or accepting the shots they played were wrong.

Concerning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

Jed Wallace is better than Alex Scott...

He is indeed currently.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Probably because he has no idea what you're on about.

I do, it’s about as funny as him posting on a fans forum pretending to be a fictional pig.

15 minutes ago, TomF said:

We’d have taken that at end of day 1 I think.  Get to level before new ball and hopefully push on.  We need a lead here batting last 

Pretty much confirmed Lyon is out for this match too, and sounds like it could well be the whole series. 

We need to ensure their three seamers still have a lot of work to do in this match.

Nothing annoys a fast bowler more than when they steam in, bowl a bouncer (which is always extra effort) only to see the batter duck comfortably out of the way, avoid eye contact, prod the pitch and walk away.

Repeat that over a few overs and the bowler is done for until the next spell, in this match without a spinner to hold up an end. England can easily score at the required rate without taking unnecessary chances and could conceivably bat time for a decent lead.

I hope they think it through over tonight's meal. 

• Like 1