IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

22 minutes ago, Super said:

He was all over the place but he wasn't really helped by the Captain. It was obvious that there should have been a few warm up games to get these bowlers familiar with conditions. It's a difficult enough task for experienced players.

What's the saying again Fail to Prepare - Prepare to Fail!

It’s usual for international teams to play warm up games wherever they’re playing and I’m not sure why England didn’t play any in India. 
Not sure who’s responsibility it is to organise the pre test playing schedule but I daresay there are explanations as to why.

I’m not saying it’s right, as it isn’t, but warm up games have largely died off for all countries. It’s not unique to this tour, it’s happens pretty much all the time now.

This England team didn’t even arrive in the country until earlier this week as they decided they’d rather train (play golf) in UAE.

Used to love watching Somerset play games before the test series against the touring team, unless I’m forgetting one they haven’t had one since Pakistan in 2016 as like I said, warm up games don’t really exist anymore.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I’m not saying it’s right, as it isn’t, but warm up games have largely died off for all countries. It’s not unique to this tour, it’s happens pretty much all the time now.

This England team didn’t even arrive in the country until earlier this week as they decided they’d rather train (play golf) in UAE.

Used to love watching Somerset play games before the test series against the touring team, unless I’m forgetting one they haven’t had one since Pakistan in 2016 as like I said, warm up games don’t really exist anymore.

Yeah, the calendar means there's now barely any time for warmups and when they do take place they're against inferior opposition (e.g county 2nd XIs over here) that doesn't really do an awful lot for the touring team other than getting used to the conditions.

England are actually going back to the UAE in the break between the 2nd and 3rd Tests. Their argument is that they can control where and when they train and how they use the pitches, which they wouldn't be allowed to do in India. And it definitely has nothing to do with the golf course down the road from their base in Abu Dhabi....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I seem to recall us playing Shoib Aktar for a game v the touring Ausies can't recall the year...

🙂

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Im not actually watching it, but is there any turn at all?

There seemed to be more for India. Hartley got one to rear up and jump and Leach got a few off line , but not much from what I saw compared to when we batted.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There seemed to be more for India. Hartley got one to rear up and jump and Leach got a few off line , but not much from what I saw compared to when we batted.

We batted first because the pitch will deteriorate over the 5 days so it made sense to bat first when the pitch was as docile as its going to be.

The Indian spinners got the ball to turn relatively quickly and 7 English wickets fell to spin. Bumrah took the other two, including Stokes who was clean bowled.

Edited by Robbored

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s usual for international teams to play warm up games wherever they’re playing and I’m not sure why England didn’t play any in India. 
Not sure who’s responsibility it is to organise the pre test playing schedule but I daresay there are explanations as to why.

Pretty sure it’s not usual anymore 

47 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Who does that?

All visiting test teams to our shores play fixtures against county sides before the test series begin. Ive seen the Aussies play against Somerset every Ashes series for years. I’ve also seen SA at Taunton.

It an essential part of them getting accustomed to English conditions.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

All visiting test teams to our shores play fixtures against county sides before the test series begin. Ive seen the Aussies play against Somerset every Ashes series for years. I’ve also seen SA at Taunton.

Australia haven’t played Somerset since 2013 and have been on 3 Ashes tours since then so once again you’re chatting absolute bollocks.

Australia last summer 0 games against counties.

South Africa the summer before 0 games against counties.

New Zealand and India the summer before that 0 games against counties.

Do you seriously never get bored of being wrong about literally everything?

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

What used to happen and what happens now are not the same thing 

7 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Australia haven’t played Somerset since 2013 and have been on 3 Ashes tours since then so once again you’re chatting absolute bollocks.

Australia last summer 0 games against counties.

South Africa the summer before 0 games against counties.

New Zealand and India the summer before that 0 games against counties.

Do you seriously never get bored of being wrong about literally everything?

But he put ‘all’ in bold?!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Super said:

This test is clearly done it's difficult to see any changes that England can make for the next test that will change the result. 5-0 incoming

I'd love to argue, but no warm up games for a team that usually starts a series slowly was asking for trouble.
Add that the attack is like a Junior team with Root , a good part time spinner , it doesn't look good.
Wood doesn't play many back to back Tests either , only Anderson as an experienced replacement .

Anything other than 5-0 is hard to argue for.

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Great innings from Pope. What sort of lead gives England half a chance?

Just going to ask the same. I guess as the pitch is getting more variable bounce and turn , if we ball well we have a chance if they get enough. Maybe 150-180 and I would think we could make a game of it, sadly that feels a long way away atm.