IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Root will go after this, he'll probably make the decision himself.

Feel sorry for him in a way as he's been dealt a shit hand and his batting has been remarkable in the circumstances, but he's not a good captain and he can't stay in the job just because there's nobody else.

Stokes is the only choice but will he want it? He's a good friend of Root.

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Ah the racist gobshite is harping on about how poor this side is.  Well Micheal maybe if we were cramming in the 100 and actually playing proper cricket we might not be so shit

He’s not wrong though, they are shite. Don’t India and Australia’s top lads play white ball cricket? Regardless of the formats they play the sad truth is half of that side minimum are no better than half decent county players who just can’t or will never be able to hack international cricket. The bowling attack is weak, Root is a class batsman and the rest are mediocre (one or two of them we are told have talent but they seem unable to show it when it counts). We are just shit, no excuses, no get out clauses such as the 100.

14 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Feel sorry for him in a way as he's been dealt a shit hand and his batting has been remarkable in the circumstances, but he's not a good captain and he can't stay in the job just because there's nobody else.

I don’t feel sorry for him at all, he’s a shit captain. How many times can he come out and say “we’ll learn from this … it’s a new era for England cricket… blah blah blah”. This is the worst England side in my time.

Root’s a great batsman playing in an abysmal era of Test cricket. He wouldn’t have got the runs he got against the attacks of Australia, the Windies or SA in the 80s or 90s, and I wonder how the likes of Atherton, Ramprakash or Bell would’ve fared if they were in their primes today. They’d have hung around for longer at the very least. 

Edited by tin

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I’m not sure he will.  Ultimately, even though our batting is poor, if Strauss had picked Broad and Anderson we would have won the series.  Strauss decided to see if Overton and Woakes were good enough….I could have told him they weren’t if he’d asked and so could many others 

Edited by And Its Smith

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Ah the racist gobshite is harping on about how poor this side is.  Well Micheal maybe if we were cramming in the 100 and actually playing proper cricket we might not be so shit

Couldn't disagree with his analysis, mind. If anything I thought Butcher was even more brutal. He directly questioned tactics and field positions (direct criticism of Root and Collingwood) and called our bowling in the morning "horrendous". 

End of the day, the rot has set in over many years and isn't going to be magically fixed in one Test series. Entirely possible things will get even worse before they get better. 

Can't see any obvious quick solutions, even changing the captain. 

13 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Blows my mind when people make jokes about our team team in the nineties, any team you want from the nineties would absolutely demolish this team.

Its not getting better any time soon either.

You can only wonder what that West Indies side would do to this current lot. You would be looking at 16 all out……with Root 14 not out.

Edited by Numero Uno

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Couldn't disagree with his analysis, mind. If anything I thought Butcher was even more brutal. He directly questioned tactics and field positions (direct criticism of Root and Collingwood) and called our bowling in the morning "horrendous". 

End of the day, the rot has set in over many years and isn't going to be magically fixed in one Test series. Entirely possible things will get even worse before they get better. 

Can't see any obvious quick solutions, even changing the captain. 

I can, start playing more proper cricket !

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I can, start playing more proper cricket !

15 minutes ago, TomF said:

No I agree with what he says but he and others have been sucking up to the ECB and lording up the 100.  We have a disjointed 4 day season now fixed around the T20 blast and 100.. and as world champions of the 50 over format we only have a ‘development’ tournament that plays while the 100 is on with the players not involved.

Its a complete and utter mess and will take a decade to sort out IF the ECB had the balls to make changes 

But here's the elephant in the room...is there the desire and appetite at the ECB, or globally for that matter, to save the long formats of the game including Test cricket? As of now, I'm not entirely sure there is, sadly. 

Playing this brand of cricket, and losing, it won't be long before summer Test crowds start to dwindle. 

• Sad 1

A lot of calls for Root to step down, but who would be peoples choice as next captain?

Has to be someone who's going to make every test team for the next couple of years, there aren't too many of those that are safely in at the moment. 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Langer reportably open to talks about England job.  Get him in now.. 

Yep, give him what he wants. 

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

A lot of calls for Root to step down, but who would be peoples choice as next captain?

Has to be someone who's going to make every test team for the next couple of years, there aren't too many of those that are safely in at the moment. 

Absolutely, gets Langer in.

If so I’d have Broad as captain for 18 months or so, think he’d work well with Langer and allow the future long term captain to be groomed - Crawley or Pope perhaps but obviously dependent on who can tie down a spot in the team. 

7 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Broad for me.  Some noise around Billings.  I don’t really care who it is to be honest. Don’t think it makes much difference. Root should probably step down just to give the players another voice to listen too.  His captaincy is closely related to numerous batting collapses and he’s been captain for more tests than anyone so it’s all run it’s course a bit 

I wanted Gillespie as coach, Langer will be interesting if true, also given his Somerset connection I wonder whether Abell may stand a chance of a call up England have struggled for a number 3 for a long time. If Abell succeeded at test level he's then a possible captain candidate.