IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I wanted Gillespie as coach, Langer will be interesting if true, also given his Somerset connection I wonder whether Abell may stand a chance of a call up England have struggled for a number 3 for a long time. If Abell succeeded at test level he's then a possible captain candidate.

49 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’d back Abell all day long as captain.. but he’s still going to have same issues as Root in terms of quality of the other 10 players 

Tom Abell is clearly a very good player and a good captain (for Somerset) to boot, albeit sometimes slightly negative a la Joe Root.

He must be bordering on an England cap, but I question how he might be expected to be chosen as captain if he is unable to justify his place in the team; it would be very much a Mike Brearley selection in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Tom Abell is clearly a very good player and a good captain (for Somerset) to boot, albeit sometimes slightly negative a la Joe Root.

He must be bordering on an England cap, but I question how he might be expected to be chosen as captain if he is unable to justify his place in the team; it would be very much a Mike Brearley selection in my opinion.

I don't think he'd start as captain, I think if Langer gets it he'd probably get a go this summer providing he started the season well enough. However if he took to test cricket I think he'd quickly become a candidate for the captaincy as there's currently no medium-long term candidate even with what would only be his brief experience at test level.

31 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I don't think he'd start as captain, I think if Langer gets it he'd probably get a go this summer providing he started the season well enough. However if he took to test cricket I think he'd quickly become a candidate for the captaincy as there's currently no medium-long term candidate even with what would only be his brief experience at test level.

Which brings us back to the idea of a short (one/two season max) trial with Stuart Broad as captain.

Not necessarily a bad idea, although all our reviews would be lost on the first morning if he were to open the bowling as captain ?.

21 hours ago, phantom said:

I would guess the time of the game may put a terrestrial TV channel off from investing in the coverage

Will be all over by the time most people are just waking up 

It starts at 2am so a full game would finish about 9am.

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The pitch is apparently very good (like a road according to the commentators), so a good score is possible, but 350+ at 7 an over? 

I was going to post that there is still a chance if Tammy Beaumont can continue batting so well, but now she is out....

They are doing what they need to, punishing the bad ball but not taking unnecessary risks. I still don`t think it will be quite enough though.

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They are doing what they need to, punishing the bad ball but not taking unnecessary risks. I still don`t think it will be quite enough though.

Even more unlikely now that Heather Knight has gone.

I was going to post earlier that Tammy B was batting well, but didn't want to jinx her, and was just going to post the same about Heather K.

I must get these thoughts out of my head as Nat Sciver is also batting well.

It is very unfortunate as, in normal circumstances, a score verging on 6 an over against Australia would be considered very good indeed, but, sadly, will be nowhere near enough today.

• Like 1

I shall be very disappointed if the remaining two wickets fall before Nat S scores a well-deserved Century.

Obviously Nat S would be even more disaapointed, but....

Phew!

It must be so disheartening for England.

They have just scored 9 from an over and their required run-rate has gone up!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Think that maybe her last game.    No shame in losing to the best side, they’re some team.. 

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

She is 30 now, not getting any fitter and England must surely look to the future; they are a good team, but not a patch on Australia, as today showed.