IGNORED

The official Cheltenham Town FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly aka Johnson Cup match day thread

BCFC_Josh

46 minutes ago, Beezey said:

With the risk of annoying others I just thought I would offer my opinion of the game tonight. 

Thought Kelly was okay, someone else mentioned his head dropping in the first half after he lost the ball a few times and as stated he showed guts to keep asking for the ball and showing. 

Zac was steady and I thought the better "defender" of the two full backs, don't really see either as being ready for the first team but they both have enough about them to suggest they will get a chance at some point. 

Morrell was busy, great engine and really box to box, thought he put himself about and he did seem to look for a pass forward early which was good. He reminded me of Scott Brown but technically better for those that remember him. Same sort of industry and build. 

Famara didn't seem to link up that well during the first half, to be fair to him we didn't offer him much of anything down the channels and he didn't get the chance in behind. He had a couple of pot shots and tried to make things happen but I'm sure that more will come. 

Gustav was excellent, good work rate and tried to pull the centre backs apart first half by moving into the wider channels, second half he was more the main striker and played well when running no in behind and his composure for the first goal was excellent. Really think that there is a player in there! Let's hope that he kicks on from this. 

Trialist is "John" someone I think, sure that's what I heard Flint calling him. As mentioned he was little lightweight and stood off a touch and seemed a little off the pace, first touch was good though and I'm in no way knocking a young lad who is trying to make his way in the game. Just felt he didn't run at the Cheltenham defence enough when he had a couple of chance to. 

Ivan looked good and commanded his area well, good hands and took a couple of crosses coming through players which was good. 

Korey was great, looks much more like lg1 Korey and he's back and fully fit. 

O'dowda had a great run first half where he beat about five or six and got a shot off that hit the bar, still think he needs to do more. 

Patterson was good, bright and surging into wide areas, first touch was excellent and two cracking crosses. 

Special mention to Reid who played just off Gustav in the second half. Cheltenham struggled to pick him up and his goal and interplay was top stuff. 

Overall we looked decent against a Cheltenham side that's put a shift in for an hour. Clearly a couple of players short in key areas but the players we currently have should be able to compete against the majority of sides in the championship IF they are set up correctly 

annoying? anybody in mind?

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So me saying that pre season friendlies are meaningless isn't an opinion?      

Of course it is RR .... you've made it perfectly clear that you have little or no interest in * FFS games, they dont allow you the opportunity to mention the SBC.  (annoying half the forum) ;) ...

*FFS - F'ing Friendly Shyte games.

I was at the other end to the away end and can report that the pigeon was not in a good way. After he'd been struck he sat near the half way line for a minute or so before the final whistle. Joe Bryan went straight over to it and as he stooped to pick it up, it flew away. Didn't get far though and landed near the corner flag with a bump and a roll. I can only assume his legs were bust as he couldn't get his landing gear out and basically landed and rolled over a few times. 

I doubt the poor fella made it through the night. 

As for the footbal, 2 moments stood out for me. Kelly put a great cross in during the first half, Engvall had held back at the near post for a cut back whilst Fammy hadn't gambled at the far post. Engvall should've seen that a cut back wasn't on and should've made for the near post. 

Engvall again had a one on one with the keeper and cut back inside instead of lifting it over the onrushing goalie. He squared it to Fammy who had basically an open goal from the edge of the box - and he hurriedly put it 8 yards wide. 

That first half strike force cost over £7m and to be brutally honest, I'm concerned. I'll give it time though and not worry too much at this point. 

Patterson played well, as did Bobby, Pack, Korey & Lucic. Morell & Kelly looked decent. Vyner didn't do much for me. Magnússon was ok, although for me too many aimless long balls conceding possession. Flint was terrible. 

Triallist had 2 moments where he beat a couple of men but held it for too long and lost possession. 

It seems Cardiff City fared less well in their game. 

Although Wales Online either suffers from Bristol Post disease or Shrewsbury have a new nickname I am not aware of.

Cardiff City given timely reminder by Shrewsbury Town of the need to be clinical during their promotion bid

The Bluebirds created plenty of chances in Shropshire but suffered defeat after two quickfire goals from the hists in the second half

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You've near enough composed an astonishing 25,000 posts on this forum. That indicates you're a huge fan of all things Bristol City.

That indicates that about 20,000 of them are z z z z z z z z z 

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

How did fat boy do? Any mention. Is it politically incorrect to call an ex player that, just plain rude and will robbored see this as another oportunity to re enter the fray with his unique take on things? You decide.

"Kenneth Zohore and Lee Tomlin showed signs of forging an impressive partnership in the opening half Tomlin said in the build-up to the match that he was looking to score 10 goals in his debut season in the Welsh capital as well as racking up between 10 and 15 assists.

Having assisted Kenneth Zohore against Plymouth at Home Park on Friday night, the No.10 almost did the same thing in the third minute in Shrewsbury, with his inch-perfect through ball finding the feet of Zohore, but the Dane curled his effort over the bar."

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What did you make of Diedhiou and Engvall in particular? What's their style of play?

Diedhiou had a quiet game to be honest, so quite hard to judge. What he did do though was hold up the ball well a few times but also looked equally happy on the ball, looking to run at defenders and create his own chances. Not super quick, but looked strong. Had one chance in the first half I think he should have hit the target with. On first watch, I wouldn't say he is the natural finisher type like Tammy was, but might have more to his all round game. We will see. 

Gustav was busy, thought he worked hard to get in the game, ran the channels at times and offered an option. His first goal was him chasing a ball over the top and rounding the on coming keeper the score from a tight angle. He linked up well with the team and was key in some smart interchange that set up Bobby for then second and his third which was a tap in rebound. In terms of style, most likely competition for Taylor.

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was at the other end to the away end and can report that the pigeon was not in a good way. After he'd been struck he sat near the half way line for a minute or so before the final whistle. Joe Bryan went straight over to it and as he stooped to pick it up, it flew away. Didn't get far though and landed near the corner flag with a bump and a roll. I can only assume his legs were bust as he couldn't get his landing gear out and basically landed and rolled over a few times. 

I doubt the poor fella made it through the night. 

Rest in peace pigeon, you served us well. 

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Diedhiou had a quiet game to be honest, so quite hard to judge. What he did do though was hold up the ball well a few times but also looked equally happy on the ball, looking to run at defenders and create his own chances. Not super quick, but looked strong. Had one chance in the first half I think he should have hit the target with. On first watch, I wouldn't say he is the natural finisher type like Tammy was, but might have more to his all round game. We will see. 

Gustav was busy, thought he worked hard to get in the game, ran the channels at times and offered an option. His first goal was him chasing a ball over the top and rounding the on coming keeper the score from a tight angle. He linked up well with the team and was key in some smart interchange that set up Bobby for then second and his third which was a tap in rebound. In terms of style, most likely competition for Taylor.

The worrying part for me is that Diedhiou didn't get himself into the box when crosses came in. Ok only the first time I have seen him and sure he will improve but I was disappointed last night. Striking options are concerning without doubt.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

The worrying part for me is that Diedhiou didn't get himself into the box when crosses came in. Ok only the first time I have seen him and sure he will improve but I was disappointed last night. Striking options are concerning without doubt.

I'd have to agree with this, too many crosses came in last night and flew out the other side unchallenged, without, as you say, someone (like Tammy) getting into position to be on the end of it.

An area Famara can work on of course, tough to tell because I've seen many top strikers over the years (not necessarily at City) who look awful for 45 minute spells but manage to pop up with the winning goal every other weekend. So I won't judge him on that 45 minutes alone.

33 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

How did fat boy do? Any mention. Is it politically incorrect to call an ex player that, just plain rude and will robbored see this as another oportunity to re enter the fray with his unique take on things? You decide.

Who gives a toss eh Hav (PS don't know about fat boy)

There has been some talk on OTIB about the number of goals we let in last season. My concern with playing "weaker" teams in friendly's might be that the defence are not 'put through their paces'.

Did Cheltenham offer enough to test the defense and 'keeper or was it largely 'one way traffic'?

Just now, Red Grovesy said:

There has been some talk on OTIB about the number of goals we let in last season. My concern with playing "weaker" teams in friendly's might be that the defence are not 'put through their paces'.

Did Cheltenham offer enough to test the defense and 'keeper or was it largely 'one way traffic'?

I didn't think we defended well all night. Flint was awful not sure how much football he has had pre season and Vyner wasn't much better although Kelly looked fairly decent.

In fairness to Famara, the service that he and Gus received during the first half was very poor. They were feeding off of scraps. Having said that, he did have a good chance and failed to hit the target but I can excuse that. He's a strong guy who will thrive upon good service from the wings and through midfield. I thought that Pack started poorly and took a while to get into the game - by the time he did, it was HT and he was subbed. Second half service to the forwards from midfield was much improved but Famara wasn't there to benefit.

Gus took both of his goals well and played a key role in taking a defender away to allow Reid the space to score. I was impressed with his effort, commitment and (particularly) second half performance. I hope that he stays and is given a chance this season because I think that he has goals in him.

Any Leeds scouts present last night will not have been impressed by Flinty who was poor. Hörður looked shaky at the start - on one occasion, playing a clearance across his own box straight to their forward - but he grew into the game and began to look very composed. Lucic didn't have so much to do but what he had to do, he did competently and commanded his box when called upon to do so. I am slightly concerned about his kicking; it's clear that his distribution is based upon a Neuer style but he's far less accurate and also, our fullbacks - particularly Vyner were not so comfortable receiving his passes. I thought that Taylor Moore looked better than Vyner in the RB slot; It was nice to see him play again.

Patterson will, I think, be key for us this season. We looked altogether a different team once he came on.

I was slightly surprised that Bryan didn't make an appearance (yet Golbourne did). JB was one of the few who didn't get a run out. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if he was being held back because of a possible bid? It's probably way off of the mark and hope I am because I rate Joe.

One final word for Hegeler. I'd forgotten how tall he is and during his 15 minute or so appearance in midfield, he showed himself to be deceptively quick and simply ate up the ground popping up all over the place and making a nuisance of himself. He could prove to be useful for us in that role.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I didn't think we defended well all night. Flint was awful not sure how much football he has had pre season and Vyner wasn't much better although Kelly looked fairly decent.

Cheers Super. Thanks for the info. I guess Friday night will be a bigger test, then onto Barnsley. Just concerned that we may score a few against Barnsley but let a few in as well. Could be a high scoring game - I just hope (as we all do) that we score more than them.

30 minutes ago, Super said:

Oh well Leeds. Back to Elphick...

Highlights from last night:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/highlights-cheltenham-town-0-3-bristol-city/

Haven't linked it but do try and catch Engvall's interview with Pez. Sounds like he's really enjoying his football and I thought his 1st goal was a cracker, leaping over the GK and slotting the ball in.

Also, Lloyd Kelly was aots last night! Every clip on the highlights showed him involved in some way. Think he might make the step this year like Moore and Vyner did last year...

40 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Great to see peoples reviews of Lucic. Solid is what you need from a keeper. Personally I'd start him against Barnsley as although I don't feel he is quite as good yet, based on his limited outings, I feel he will be soon and playing him sooner will only make him better.

Cup goalkeeper with potential to steal first choice for me this season.

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Cup goalkeeper with potential to steal first choice for me this season.

Agree with this his kicking is worse than Franks and he doesnt look great with the ball at his feet either. Not number one material yet.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Agree with this his kicking is worse than Franks and he doesnt look great with the ball at his feet either. Not number one material yet.

if he was good with the ball at his feet, he wouldn't be a goal keeper :) 

3 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

are you American?

Of course not. Not only are Cheltenham a lower league club, Their manager is not exactly renown for playing quick, attacking football.

Add to that that It was a friendly with neither set of players willing to risk injury so close to the start of the season and you have a pretty meaningless game.

Cheers Super. Thanks for the info. I guess Friday night will be a bigger test, then onto Barnsley. Just concerned that we may score a few against Barnsley but let a few in as well. Could be a high scoring game - I just hope (as we all do) that we score more than them.

0-0 it is then!

Archived