IGNORED

The official Cheltenham Town FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly aka Johnson Cup match day thread

BCFC_Josh

1 hour ago, Super said:

Agree with this his kicking is worse than Franks and he doesnt look great with the ball at his feet either. Not number one material yet.

Really? The two games I saw him play last season, I thought his distribution was brilliant, rarely goes long. 

1 minute ago, cynic said:

A few points;

If you would ever see players training you would see 100% commitment in the tackling and physical stuff and its the same with these sort of friendlies - maybe not a community game or against non-leaguers who have to go to work on a monday but they are not at all worried about injury either in training or in these type of games. If it happens, it happens, same as if it were a league game.

It is entirely wrong to say this sort of game is meaningless, they are played for a variety of reasons and you only have to look at Engvall to see how important that game was to him and the club. That game could define his future regardless of it being a "friendly".

If there were no "friendly" games how the hell would the players get match fit - to say that is meaningless is a bit daft.

There were plenty of less than friendly tackles in the Manor Farm game.

Pisano and Farms left back had a bit of a running battle. 

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

A few points;

If you would ever see players training you would see 100% commitment in the tackling and physical stuff and its the same with these sort of friendlies 

It is entirely wrong to say this sort of game is meaningless, they are played for a variety of reasons and you only have to look

If there were no "friendly" games how the hell would the players get match fit - to say that is meaningless is a bit daft.

Meaningless in terms of results. Obviously teams need to get the squad as fit and ready as possible and one way to do that is to play matches. They're also an opportunity for the coaches to see how the fringe and younger players are doing against different teams.

Some fans see results of friendlies as important but essentially they're meaningless.

5 hours ago, Super said:

The worrying part for me is that Diedhiou didn't get himself into the box when crosses came in. Ok only the first time I have seen him and sure he will improve but I was disappointed last night. Striking options are concerning without doubt.

Along with midfield, defence and goalkeeper.

32 minutes ago, cynic said:

A few points;

If you would ever see players training you would see 100% commitment in the tackling and physical stuff and its the same with these sort of friendlies - maybe not a community game or against non-leaguers who have to go to work on a monday but they are not at all worried about injury either in training or in these type of games. If it happens, it happens, same as if it were a league game.

It is entirely wrong to say this sort of game is meaningless, they are played for a variety of reasons and you only have to look at Engvall to see how important that game was to him and the club. That game could define his future regardless of it being a "friendly".

The CTFC right back crunched into Gus with a heavy foul in the first half of the game last night. Undoubtedly he'd have been booked in a league match but was let off with a warning. The game was played as a friendly but there were times when no quarter was given (by either side) so it proved to be a good test, although I guess you'd have to watch friendlies every season to appreciate the subtle differences with a league fixture.

5 hours ago, Super said:

The worrying part for me is that Diedhiou didn't get himself into the box when crosses came in. Ok only the first time I have seen him and sure he will improve but I was disappointed last night. Striking options are concerning without doubt.

Let's hope he's keeping his powder dry :blink:

Goes on a 8 game scoring streak at start of season ! :fingerscrossed:

Reading your comments , I thought blimey , how footballs changed 

Could you imagine saying 2/3 years ago

'went to see our new £5.3 million striker and came away dissapointed'.   !!!!

£5 million quid doesn't get you much these days ! :laughcont:

Archived