IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Plymouth Argyle FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

8 minutes ago, Malago said:

He was picked to play and didn't.  If you're paid good money to play football and you're picked, you should play.  End of.

I agree with the sentiment, and it does leave a slight sour taste.

Equally, there is a difference between 'nah, not playing', and just an upfront adult conversation. 'Look, been thinking about it gov, thanks for the chance tonight but I do want to let you know I have decided I am going to go to Bham tomorrow to discuss terms.'

No idea which one it was, but there is a world of difference between the two, at least in my mind.

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wow thought we might struggle tonight. Underestimated our strength in depth.

Maybe we're in danger of actually having a balanced and versatile squad of players.

Top work City

We do have a decent squad of players and have done since the beginning of last season. Might explain why we've actually done unusually well in the cups. League cup fourth round and FA cup fifth round last season, first time that's happened in 30+ years. And we've won through again tonight in a usual banana skin tie for us.

LJ has a very good squad that has cost him near enough £25m, it's how it's used that will define what kind of season we have this time around!

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not sure that really implies Flint refused to play?

Flint has been put up for sale by the club so seems strange LJ would a) want to pick him and b) have to have a conversation with him prior to the match

I don't think that's a fair comment, It's not like we've put him in the shop window since the end of last season. .

There were always going to be offers from him from other clubs. If his 'head has been turned' as it's been suggested, then I think the club have dealt with it very well by brining in a suitable replacement, and are now trying to get the best possible deal.

I do accept that we don't know 100% if Flint himself refused to play, but either way I think we all know what the end result is. 

1 minute ago, P'head Red said:

I don't think that's a fair comment, It's not like we've put him in the shop window.

There were always going to be offers from him from other clubs. If his 'head has been turned' as it's been suggested, then I think the club have dealt with it very well by brining in a suitable replacement, and are now trying to get the best possible deal.

I do accept that we don't know 100% if Flint himself refused to play, but either way I think we all know what the end result is. 

Can only assume you didn't hear SL's interview with Geoff 20man on Saturday. "We'll listen to bids of over £5m" if that's not putting him in the shop window or indeed putting him up for sale then I don't know what is. Very different response see when asked about Bryan "he's not for sale, don't want to lose him, I'm not giving you a number".

It's clear he's moving on and has been for a while now. Good luck to him, he's been brilliant for us and will always be remembered fondly here. Just hope it's done sooner rather than later as it's starting to drag on now. 

Just now, Malago said:

I didn't say he did refuse to play.  But if you're paid to do a job and are fit to do so, it seems odd an odd situation to not fufill you're side of the bargain.

You don't know the circumstances surrounding it do you. We could of accepted a bid and decided between  them to leave him out. Don't think anyone can question his commitment to the club while he's been here. If he is going which looks likely then who would begrudge him a decent pay day, it's a short career he needs to make as much money as he can.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Exactly.  Fans are so fickle.  Inventing reasons to hate Flint is just childish

Good luck to Flinty . Earn as much as you can . Short career . If he goes to Brum fair Doo but I think he could do better, maybe not manager wise as Arry is a top man . 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can only assume you didn't hear SL's interview with Geoff 20man on Saturday. "We'll listen to bids of over £5m" if that's not putting him in the shop window or indeed putting him up for sale then I . know what is. Very different response see when asked about Bryan "he's not for sale, don't want to lose him, I'm not giving you a number".

LJ also said his agent spoke to him in the summer saying he'd be exploring his options. Fair play it's a short career but at 27 and three years left on his contract its good business by the club to get as much for him as possible. The club won't be taken for mugs anymore in that respect.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You don't know the circumstances surrounding it do you. We could of accepted a bid and decided between  them to leave him out. Don't think anyone can question his commitment to the club while he's been here. If he is going which looks likely then who would begrudge him a decent pay day, it's a short career he needs to make as much money as he can.

If we had a bid accepted from Brum then LJ would almost certainly not asked him to play.  I don't begrudge Aden Flint anything but as long as he's an employee of Bristol City he should play if he's selected.  That's my point:

1 minute ago, Malago said:

If we had a bid accepted from Brum then LJ would almost certainly not asked him to play.  I don't begrudge Aden Flint anything but as long as he's an employee of Bristol City he should play if he's selected.  That's my point:

The team could of been named this morning and bid came in late today for all we know

I've just got back(and then gone out again to use wifi so I can post).

First of all, huge thanks to @BobBobSuperBob and @Davefevs, great to meet you both and really appreciated tonight.

Onto the game.

Really impressed with the high tempo pressing, the energy was great and forced a lot of errors against a poor Plymouth side.

Five goals and it could have been more, though pressure eased in the second half as we tried to walk the ball in rather than shooting at will.

Its a bit all over the place from here, but let's go.

I initially made a few notes, but ended up getting drawn into the game too much. However half of what I had were negatives on Magnússon, a player I do like.

For me he is not a left back, certainly not in the style we want to play. He got caught upfield quite a few times, conceded possession cheaply at one point (circa 13 mins) which put us under pressure, though he did well to help deal with said pressure.

Reid was good, made quite a few clever runs, very industrious.

Hegeler was someone I did want to see at CB, though wasn't totally convinced it would suit him, but thought he was very composed, has a touch of class about him. Goal was a bonus.

Baker was good, timing of his challenges was good- didn't look as reckless as last time he was here, shame he went off injured in the 83rd minute. Goal was a bonus.

Frankie had nothing to do, I could have played in goal tonight and we'd have got a clean sheet, and I can only dive to my right.

Vyner really impressed me, an incredible run in the second half beating half the Plymouth team, looked very composed. My one criticism, if it really is one, is that he really committed himself to a few tackles- not in a diving in way- and had he not made it he would have been left completely stranded. However, he made it each time he did commit, so it didn't end up causing us any problems.

O'Neil, frustrating. He wasn't particularly poor, but there were a number of times, mostly first half, where he did the difficult things really well, then needlessly gave the ball away doing the simple things.

Smith, quality performance, a real terrier. This from someone who, while appreciating Smith is a good player, thinks he is overrated on here, plus a rare goal.

O'Dowda, quiet but had his moments, grew into the game in the latter stages.

Brownhill, toughest for me to really comment on, felt he played his 'normal game'. Played some nice passes, got a few balls in, but conceded the play trying to do a fancy trick from time to time.

Hinds, I was really happy with his debut, scored a worldie, ran tirelessly but goal aside, there wasn't a huge amount of product. That said, I do think he is one to keep an eye on. A loan to League 1 until Jan would be ideal, then give him time in the FA Cup 3rd round.

Really enjoyable game.

Edit.

P.S. While at the game was talking to the person next to me. Knew him from last season, anyway, we were talking about potential ins and he is certain Vassell is our player.

He lives just outside Luton and said a friend of his drinks at the same place as the Luton kit man who told him Bristol City had an offer of £1.5m accepted. Apparently Birmingham never had any interest as far as the kitman had heard.

I accept this news is now fourth hand, but I trust the person who told me.

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can only assume you didn't hear SL's interview with Geoff 20man on Saturday. "We'll listen to bids of over £5m" if that's not putting him in the shop window or indeed putting him up for sale then I don't know what is. Very different response see when asked about Bryan "he's not for sale, don't want to lose him, I'm not giving you a number".

Is it possible that he finally got fed up with an agent seeking another big pay day and called his bluff? I have no inside info just devils advocate. Contracted til 2020 yet we "don't want" him? Doesn't add up. 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The team could of been named this morning and bid came in late today for all we know

It's possible or you could argue that given the circumstances it was wrong of Johnson to pick him.

Anyway we won 5-0, which is what really matters.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

First of all, huge thanks to @BobBobSuperBob and @Davefevs, great to meet you both and really appreciated tonight.

Onto the game.

Really impressed with the high tempo pressing, the energy was great and forced a lot of errors against a poor Plymouth side.

Five goals and it could have been more, though pressure eased in the second half as we tried to walk the ball in rather than shooting at will.

I initially made a few notes, but ended up getting drawn into the game too much. However half of what I had were negatives on Magnússon, a player I do like.

For me he is not a left back, certainly not in the style we want to play. He got caught upfield quite a few times, conceded possession cheaply at one point (circa 13 mins) which put us under pressure, though he did well to help deal with said pressure.

Hegeler was someone I did want to see at CB, though wasn't totally convinced it would suit him, but thought he was very composed, has a touch of class about him. Goal was a bonus.

Baker was good, timing of his challenges was good- didn't look as reckless as last time he was here, shame he went off injured in the 83rd minute. Goal was a bonus.

Frankie had nothing to do, I could have played in goal tonight and we'd have got a clean sheet, and I can only dive to my right.

Vyner really impressed me, an incredible run in the second half beating half the Plymouth team, looked very composed. My one criticism, if it really is one, is that he really committed himself to a few tackles- not in a diving in way- and had he not made it he would have been left completely stranded. However, he made it each time he did commit, so it didn't end up causing us any problems.

O'Neil, frustrating. He wasn't particularly poor, but there were a number of times, mostly first half, where he did the difficult things really well, then needlessly gave the ball away doing the simple things.

Smith, quality performance, a real terrier. This from someone who, while appreciating Smith is a good player, thinks he is overrated on here, plus a rare goal.

Brownhill, toughest for me to really comment on, felt he played his 'normal game'. Played some nice passes, got a few balls in, but conceded the play trying to do a fancy trick from time to time.

Hinds, I was really happy with his debut, scored a worldie, ran tirelessly but goal aside, there wasn't a huge amount of product. That said, I do think he is one to keep an eye on. A loan to League 1 until Jan would be ideal, then give him time in the FA Cup 3rd round.

Really enjoyable game.

Glad you enjoyed it mate - nice to read your considered thoughts too

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Onto the game.

Really enjoyable game.

Edit.

P.S. While at the game was talking to the person next to me. Knew him from last season, anyway, we were talking about potential ins and he is certain Vassell is our player.

He lives just outside Luton and said a friend of his drinks at the same place as the Luton kit man who told him Bristol City had an offer of £1.5m accepted. Apparently Birmingham never had any interest as far as the kitman had heard.

If we do get Vassell then I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Hinds going back to Luton on loan as part of the deal. 

Back at the Gate tonight after Saturday's personal disaster, ;) this time in the Lansdown Stand away from the scene of my crime in the South Stand concourse, disappointed at first that Engvall wasn't in the squad but happy again after 2 minutes! Took a Yeovil mate of mine who was absolutely delighted to see us spank the Janners. Great night. :clapping: Feeling good! :chant6ez:

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Onto the game.

Really enjoyable game.

Edit.

What was the atmosphere like?

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

1. Agent tells club his client wants to explore the possibility of maximising his income at another club. I have no problem with that, he is entitled to do so.

2. Club decides it wants to maximise the fee it gets. Again I have no problem with that, the club is entitled to do so.

This goes on in football all the time and is a process either party is free to initiate.

Bad negotiating for SL to publicly name a price though. Leave the negotiating to Ashton, that's what he is employed to do.

Just now, WessexPest said:

What was the atmosphere like?

Not overly loud.

It had its moments, Argyle had a few moments where they were noisy.

Not sure how well the sound carries from the SS. There was a point in the second half where we had been a bit louder, we were piling on pressure (as with most of the match) and then there was a loud chorus of "4-0 you still don't sing"

Response of "We forgot that you were here" from our end as their fans had been silent for a while until then.

Cue Argyle fans singing "We forgot that you were here" back to us.

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We do have a decent squad of players and have done since the beginning of last season. Might explain why we've actually done unusually well in the cups. League cup fourth round and FA cup fifth round last season, first time that's happened in 30+ years. And we've won through again tonight in a usual banana skin tie for us.

LJ has a very good squad that has cost him near enough £25m, it's how it's used that will define what kind of season we have this time around!

Massively spun figures there....bearing in mind Kodjia left for £15m and Tomlin paid for himself his net spend is much less than this

26 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If we do get Vassell then I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Hinds going back to Luton on loan as part of the deal. 

Initially, yes I thought that's a good idea.

Now not so sure.

Not that it is a bad idea, just an odd one, given we nicked Hinds from Luton in January!

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Damn it DB! I'm going to have to save up for a £1000 season ticket, platefuls of caviar flavoured pasties and pints of Chateau de Pape that come from being a Premier League football fan!! 

I cant wait. :cool:

If Beluga did pasties.............they would be the rankest pasties in the world.

Archived