IGNORED

Hinds, Moore and Morrell join Cheltenham

View from the Dolman

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Jonny SMith was injured for a lot of last season, Girolamo has added goals to his game and according to @spudski Plavotic has improved a lot. GJ wasn't one for developing youngsters here, but he is in different circumstances at Cheltenham.

in Gary's defense, we nether had the investment nore the players in the youth team here when gary was in charge,

Lansdown wasn't a billionaire then and was as free with his money as he is now

Leaving aside the LJ/GJ association I can certainly see positives both in geography and in sharing of information. And it's a good move for Morrell imho to get decent men's football. Just disappointed that Moore and Hinds are not at a league 1 team of some sort, more than likely a lower level one granted, but at least the players they'd be up against would be of a higher standard and it'd be bigger crowds, better stadiums and less physical than league 2. Moore's position and slide down the ranks especially seems worrying. Only 4 months I guess so here's hoping it works out for all of them. 

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's only for 4 months.

Don't knock where they are going to. I think it will suit all parties, more so us tbh. It will be easier to keep an eye on their progression, not just through match's, but in training as well.

Plus the relationship with manager will be more trustworthy, I should imagine.

For what it's worth, I was really impressed with Plavotic last night....his development has come on leaps and bounds since joining Cheltenham.

They'll get plenty of game time and better development at Cheltenham, than some random club we've got no 'affiliation' with imo.

Have to disagree,  Spud. 

If Hinds needed development at L2 level he might as well have stayed at Luton. 

He's clearly a prospect and has seized the chance of imposing himself on the two cup games he played. 

This just smacks of "doing a favour for dad".

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Jonny SMith was injured for a lot of last season, Girolamo has added goals to his game and according to @spudski Plavotic has improved a lot. GJ wasn't one for developing youngsters here, but he is in different circumstances at Cheltenham.

GJ hasn't been one for developing youngsters 'anywhere'.

Its different circumstances at Cheltenham,  simply because he's being looked after by his son. 

Is he bringing in young players from other clubs?? 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nyatanga was already an established C'Ship centre back. 

As for Skuse pa ha ha ha. He was kept out of the team most of the time by LJ. 

rightly so, at the time as well, johnson and elliot had an effective midfield partnership, our formed dipped when one got injured

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Forget the Family connection, and relationship between the Lansdowns and Johnsons.

Other Championship Clubs would be ripping your hand off, to have the 'connection' we have between our Club and another Club in the football league, especially as it's also geographically close as well.

Take into consideration the family connection, both are going to look out for one another, and talk about development a lot more freely.

All some people are doing is focussing on the family connection....and seeing it as a negative.

Why not make the connection? I can only see positives for the players development tbh.

Hence the ' '.....of course it's because of GJ. But why not? Why is it so wrong? I can only see benefits.

No different to say Watfords owners, owning other clubs abroad and using them to develop and borrow players from. Different scenario, but using a 'connection' of some sort of trust.

It's literally being viewed negatively because GJ is there. Any other L2 club and there wouldn't be a word. Think most think Morrell is the best fit for them but people are being blinded by Hinds cup goals. He needs more experience and in L1 they'll be looking for a more proven player. Taylor Moore because he's played England U20 people think that means he's ready to play men's football but in reality he's been playing some of those games against smaller countries u20 as well. He's got a long way to go before he's ready for the championship and that is fine because he is a 20 year old CB!!!

If Cheltenham were in the conference I could see why people complain but reality is they're a league club and close to Bristol. It's not only a good connection to have for the club but good for the young players who can still be around their family and friends in the area. If anything we should be hoping Cheltenham keep getting better and we help make that happen because it benefits our young players. 

41 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What a complete waste we are making of Taylor Moore. Youth level England captain. Made radio Bristol co-commentator for a game. Now in lower league L2 on a pitch that regularly has about 30% grass on it. **** sake. 

Cheltenhams pitch is excellent. It has been poor in recent seasons due to allowing Gloucester City to play their home matches there. This agreement is no longer in place so I fully expect it to return to being one of the best surfaces at that level.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

in Gary's defense, we nether had the investment nore the players in the youth team here when gary was in charge,

Lansdown wasn't a billionaire then and was as free with his money as he is now

SL, allowed GJ a ridiculous amount of money at the time. SL admitted after GJ left that he "let his heart rule his head" in letting GJ sign so many players, players that were panic buys ( and loans).

We had a ridiculous amount of players, we were bringing in loanees on top wages on a weekly basis at one stage.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

SL, allowed GJ a ridiculous amount of money at the time. SL admitted after GJ left that he "let his heart rule his head" in letting GJ sign so many players, players that were panic buys ( and loans).

We had a ridiculous amount of players, we were bringing in loanees on top wages on a weekly basis at one stage.

indeed but we also didn't have the investment we have now, those loans never saw us finish outside the top 10 

I think everyone is getting a bit carried away RE: Hinds. The lad's barely played any senior football and in less than a year he's going to go from Luton reserves to Championship striker? Let's let him bake a bit longer, rather than trying to force him to be something he isn't ready to be

As for Moore, it's definitely a bit concerning that he's dropped down to L2, but if he's going to be playing regularly as a CB then I'm ok with it. At the end of the day, he'll either sink or swim and we should know a lot more about him come January

Seems like a good step forward for Morrell

I'm a bit uneasy about LJ lending daddy players, but I guess we'll retain some influence over how they're used and they can train with us 1-2 days a week. If Cheltenham had a different manager, people wouldn't be nearly as critical of this

The argument should be about how much are they really going to develop at league two level Vs u23s, and the lower reaches of league two at that.

I'm not sure they will benefit greatly, as against the u23s I suspect they'd come up against more technically capable players and develop faster.

This looks like a complete waste of time to me and smacks of nepotism.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's literally being viewed negatively because GJ is there. Any other L2 club and there wouldn't be a word. Think most think Morrell is the best fit for them but people are being blinded by Hinds cup goals. He needs more experience and in L1 they'll be looking for a more proven player. Taylor Moore because he's played England U20 people think that means he's ready to play men's football but in reality he's been playing some of those games against smaller countries u20 as well. He's got a long way to go before he's ready for the championship and that is fine because he is a 20 year old CB!!!

If Cheltenham were in the conference I could see why people complain but reality is they're a league club and close to Bristol. It's not only a good connection to have for the club but good for the young players who can still be around their family and friends in the area. If anything we should be hoping Cheltenham keep getting better and we help make that happen because it benefits our young players. 

It's being viewed negatively because Cheltenham are a poor L2 side who nearly ended up non-league themselves last season.

If we want to develop the careers of Hinds and Moore they are good enough to take on the best L1 has to offer. A decent-sized club there would've been a better loan. Otherwise you may as well keep them in the development squad here.

21 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

"Why not". Because Gary Johnson is not the correct manager/coach to send these players to. 

He has a zero record of developing younger players, in fact i would go as far as saying his lack of interest in developing young players at City sent us back five years. It took years for the City managers 'after' Johnson to get rid of all the journeymen he had signed.

As I said in a previous post, Johny Smith is now playing in the Conference after being on loan at league 2 Cheltenham last season, he's gone down a level!.

And Plavotic has kicked on a lot sincr going to Cheltenham.

Or are we only allowed to look at one specific player who happens to fit your rant?

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Have to disagree,  Spud. 

If Hinds needed development at L2 level he might as well have stayed at Luton. 

He's clearly a prospect and has seized the chance of imposing himself on the two cup games he played. 

This just smacks of "doing a favour for dad".

Think about it RR....no way would SL or LJ undermine the development of the Clubs players, to help out Cheltenham. Regardless of being 'Friends'.

No way would players join us, if we had a reputation of nepotism.

Young players are willing to join us now, as they know they will be fast tracked and developed quicker here, than just sitting playing U23 football for years.

They are kids...they aren't ready for Championship football yet over a whole season.

Don't underestimate the value they will get playing League 2 football.

I remember lowly Mangotsfield outplaying and bullying our U23's in a Glos Cup final when we had Cotts here.

That was an eye opener as to how far behind these kids are physically and mentally.

29 minutes ago, BCFC1990 said:

My issue is gj does not have a great record developing youngsters. Did it help jonny smith or diego last season? 

I also know young players who were aroundthe squad during his reign gj was in charge here and all have said he wasn't interested in young player development it was all about results for the first team. I believe you have mentioned similar in the past

I will always be grateful to gj for 2 of my favourite seasons following city and hope i am wrong but do not share you confidence in this arrangement it seems to me more about helping dad

I think they will continue to train with City, so this move will only enhance they're development. 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's being viewed negatively because Cheltenham are a poor L2 side who nearly ended up non-league themselves last season.

If we want to develop the careers of Hinds and Moore they are good enough to take on the best L1 has to offer. A decent-sized club there would've been a better loan. Otherwise you may as well keep them in the development squad here.

Which of the decent-sized clubs in Lge 1 have you been in contact with?  Perhaps pass the details onto to Johnson as he's missed a trick here.  :grr:

1 hour ago, screech said:

They get some proper football for a few months, if they are good enough at that level, in January I expect them to get a step up to a league 1 club.  We shall see where they are then. 

Moore was apparently good enough at league 1 level last season. Has he regressed in pre season or is it putting the well being of another club over that of a player?

Good moves imo. It's only until January so we can look for better moves if they play well. I think the fact we waited this long to loan them probably meant we were hoping that Leauge One clubs came in but they didn't so we loaned them locally so they can still train with us and benefit from first team in football in a competitive division.

Hinds may have scored 2 goals in both the games he played but he still has a lot to learn and improve on before being challenging for a place and I doubt a League One club would take the risk on someone like him. 

Just seems to me people are over reacting because of the two managers of either club.

40 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yes lets bash both johnsons for loaning 3 under 23 players that aren't ready or near the first team, that makes sense doesn't it,

Lets stunt their progress by not letting them play mens football and onlying give them 90 mins if a cup and the odd 5 minutes here and there,

Is hinds going to get in the team infront of Reid, Fam, Taylor or Woodrow?

Is morrell going to get in the first team infront of ONeil, Pack Smith Brownhill?

Is Moore going to get into the first team in front of Baker, Wright, Maggers, Vyner, Pasion, Flint?

So why was Moore good enough at league 1 last season ? Can't comment about the other two.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Moore was apparently good enough at league 1 level last season. Has he regressed in pre season or is it putting the well being of another club over that of a player?

Or perhaps no League 1 club was willing to commit to giving him time.

Regular game time in League 2 is better than sitting on the bench every week in League 1

2 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Which of the decent-sized clubs in Lge 1 have you been in contact with?  Perhaps pass the details onto to Johnson as he's missed a trick here.  :grr:

Weirdly it's not MY job to arrange loans for City's players.

I guess if you think the only clubs willing to take two highly promising players are ones where the manager has Sunday lunch with our manager then you might have a modicum of a point. 

Archived