IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Leeds United FC match day thread 12

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, daored said:

He’s prioritised Tuesday night , not saying I agree but I think that’s what he’s done 

The Carobo Cup or whatever it's called is not important,  maintaining our good run and confidence is,  if that's the case it's a big mistake.

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

As comprehensive a stuffing as you can imagine.

Just a day when everything went wrong. Against a pretty decent side, a pile of injuries, to many changes, and Leeds got off to a flyer. From there, never really ever in the match. Such a shame given the crowd.

Ho hum. Had the punch on the nose. Now the test of real character.

Leeds got off to a flyer because Flinty belted the ball straight at there player all down hill from there. Nothing to say about the second goal. Their flyer really was our fault.

Leeds played well for a spell after that but who wouldn't with a two goal cushion and us looking like all confidence had drained.

Sigh. i am annoyed, that we can be that awful.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

You think there is no mental aspect to performance in professional sport? Good one.

Regards,

A hippy.

I don’t think that posting on an internet forum drawing parallels with last season affects the result of the match, unless your dowsing rods and crystals tell you otherwise?

The best team won, Leeds always looked as though they had an extra gear today, our defence was poor for most of the game, but for me the game was lost in midfield, not strong enough, not dynamic enough and certainly not creative enough.

And oh yes our free kicks are still shit.

Fielding 6 didn’t do anything wrong.

Wright 4 not a right back and that was exposed today.

Flint 4 simply had a mare.

Hegeler 3 not a centre half, positionally weak and painfully slow and rightly substituted in all honesty he is not good enough at this level, as shown for their 3rd goal, another shocker.

Bryan 6 did ok but not at his best.

O’Dowda 6 did ok but not involved enough.

Pack 4 slow, laboured, not good enough, had a shocker to be honest.

Brownhill 7 pick of a poor midfield and my MOM.

Leko 6 did ok just frustrating at times.

Reid 5 ran around a lot, achieved very little, achieved slightly more when he dropped back into midfield.

Woodrow 4 I don’t see what he gives up, little or no threat.

Diedhiou 4 I have to say it again, he is too nice, seems easy to shift off of the ball, missed a sitter.

Taylor 3 did nothing of note on the playing side, I thought his red card was strange, ok he should not have confronted the guy but I thought the guy nutted him.

Magnússon 6 did nothing wrong and looked far more natural/comfortable than Hegeler.

LJ 4 got most things wrong today IMO.

I am willing to put this down to an incredibly bad day at the office, but warning signs are obvious Smith is crucial to this team without him the midfield is poor beyond belief, I do not believe Pack is good enough at this level. 

Baker is also important to the defence and it showed that Hegeler is nowhere near good enough at this level. if Magnússon is not better than Hegeler my god he must be poor.

We need desperately in the January window to sign 2 midfielders and a right back, Wright was finally exposed in that position today.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Being positive yes, but this might ironically be the kind of shot in the arm the team could benefit from before Tuesday night. 

Nice positivity but I'm sure whoever plays Tuesday would have been up for it anyway .

With the caveat that LJ knows all the details that we don't, I would n't have played that team.

Mags , straight swap for Baker.

We were undone for both the first goals by lack of communication and understanding amongst the defence . 

Hegeler is a midfielder not a centre  back .

Too many changes .

Leeds were the better team today . Congratulations to them and for us it's back to the training ground and on to the next match .

Just to wind me up even more BCTV did'nt work from about 60 mins .

:ranting:

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I don’t think that posting on an internet forum drawing parallels with last season affects the result of the match, unless your dowsing rods and crystals tell you otherwise?

It all feeds in to the bigger picture. If there is a preoccupation with what happened last season, this can affect confidence amongst supporters, and in turn affect the club and therefore performances on the pitch.

I would prefer to focus on our strong start, our healthy league position and treat this as the solitary disappointing defeat that it is.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nice positivity but I'm sure whoever plays Tuesday would have been up for it anyway .

With the caveat that LJ knows all the details that we don't, I would n't have played that team.

Mags , straight swap for Baker.

We were undone for both the first goals by lack of communication and understanding amongst the defence . 

Hegeler is a midfielder not a centre  back .

Too many changes .

Leeds were the better team today . Congratulations to them and for us it's back to the training ground and on to the next match .

Just to wind me up even more BCTV did'nt work from about 60 mins .

:ranting:

My BCTV was fine all game.

Otherwise the rest is how it was...I was amazed that Magnússon didn't start or if not play Vyner at FB. 

Soooo bloody pissed off with that!

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It all feeds in to the bigger picture. If there is a preoccupation with what happened last season, this can affect confidence amongst supporters, and in turn affect the club and therefore performances on the pitch.

I would prefer to focus on our strong start, our healthy league position and treat this as the solitary disappointing defeat that it is.

A defeat was going to come at some point but we’ve had threads suggesting a top 2 finish.  I remember how excited I was at this point last season.  I’m not down on LJ or the club at all just pointing out that this really should be the kick up the butt the squad needs.

If you ignore history you are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

The team was really poor in the 2nd half: ineffective in Leeds area, distracted in defence (2-3 balls lost, that could have become goals), and the red card for Taylor (undeserved, IMO) made things even worse.

Positives from today? Maybe some good actions by Leko (was it penalty in the 1st half?), Mags was better than Hegeler (not a difficult task), Bryan worked his socks off, ...  Not much more, I think.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

A defeat was going to come at some point but we’ve had threads suggesting a top 2 finish.  I remember how excited I was at this point last season.  I’m not down on LJ or the club at all just pointing out that this really should be the kick up the butt the squad needs.

If you ignore history you are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't learn from last season. But that is not the same as fearing a repeat and convincing ourselves that it's the same thing happening all over again.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Birmingham was pretty disappointing. 

A very decentish start to the season, however Burton was nails down a blackboard and that was truly awful. 

We gave them a two goal start from some dreadful defending and they never looked back. 

As for last season its gone as you imply, but Magnússon not starting will be raised by everyone, if Hegeler was going to play it was in midfield (IMO). Patterson Baker and Smith takes a lot of replacing but no straight swap as above is mystifying ala some of last seasons selections and changes. Couple that with also changing your forward pair, it seems a bit  much 

A generally shabby performance which rightly led to us losing.

We now must stem this.... We have Sunderland, Cardiff and Fulham in the not to distant..... We generally get nothing from these..... One loss is not a concern.... Or was always going to happen..... Like many others have posted it is how we react to this that is important...

COYRs

(Must admit sitting in the Lower Dolman for 90+ minutes in the P155ing rain is not an enjoyable experience when we're losing and playing poorly)

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

That's a shocking proposal..

I truly think not.

I would say look at the team selected, the ball wouldn’t hold for us up front. Played into  Jannson game. No Baker, no Paterson I would suspect all three will play Tuesday 

Poor performance today and deservedly beaten.

Someone said there was a bug in the camp which might explain the absence of Baker and Patto.

Bailey was getting sucked into the middle today and they wreaked havoc in our right back spot.

Ah well, no problem with the result from me but I'm a tad concerned after last season's capitulation, we need that monkey off our back ASAP.

18 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

Leeds just happen to be a bigger club.  They've been there and done it etc.  Same population as Bristol but just the one team.  Imagine if that were the case in Bristol ... our 19,000 plus their 456,879 ... seriously?  best supported team in England Burnley ... with 30% of the town average crowd .... that would be 150,000 in Brizzle.  

Miles out, old chap.

Between us and Rovers, the support for football (home attendances) in Bristol is not all that much behind that of Leeds, given their much bigger population, and the contrasting, respective success enjoyed by the two cities.

Compared to Sheffield though, you might have a point.

Archived