IGNORED

17 Years Ago Today

BS15_RED

One of my all time favourite goals in this match with Aaron Brown picking the ball up outside our area and leaving a couple of flat footed sags behind with his pace before crossing the ball for Tony Tony Thorpe (who had already made yet another intelligent run into the box) to bury the header into the back of the net. GET IN!

Remember getting into the ground late and walking up the steps into the Atyeo Just in time to see the net bulge from that Saghead scoring after a few seconds.

Pissed out of my tree from drinking all afternoon. Despite conceding early I never thought we would lose that game and those 3 second half goals in quick succession were what we deserved. It felt like Thorpe’s header was sucked into the goal by the fans in the Atyeo. Great night and made my Christmas, a bit like the United game this year.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Fordy62

From memory, didn't the EastEnd reopen to home fans 2002, 2004 something like that?

I can remember putting up posters and handing out flyers about it being open early 2000s with Pete Smith and others. I recall possibly the Chesterfield 4-0 Home win where we’d scored 3 late on being one of the very first games. Good times 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Fordy62

From memory, didn't the EastEnd reopen to home fans 2002, 2004 something like that?

Eastend was definitely open the following year for the JPT game but like you I’m not sure it was open to City fans for this game?

Edit: Just watched the video, it clearly was open for City fans for this match.

11 hours ago, Swede said:

One of my all time favourite goals in this match with Aaron Brown picking the ball up outside our area and leaving a couple of flat footed sags behind with his pace before crossing the ball for Tony Tony Thorpe (who had already made yet another intelligent run into the box) to bury the header into the back of the net. GET IN!

One of my favourite goals too. Reminiscent of a very similar goal in about 1990 against Blackburn when Dave Smith crossed for Nicky Morgan to score.

Very memorable derby game and a great atmosphere (lots of people looke like they’d spent plenty of time in the pub that day!). Can’t believe it was 17 years ago.

11 hours ago, Swede said:

Mine too - lives long in the memory still to this day.

Counter attacking football at its finest. Thorpe couldn't miss it - a better cross you will be hard to see. 

19 hours ago, Swede said:

Call yourself a supporter. Everyone knows his name was Tony Tony Tony Thorpe.

I remember it well. Had just finished my first term at university and I think was my first time at Ashton Gate that season. Even when we let the early goal in I had a feeling we would go onto win, watched it from the top of the Atyeo. Easily my favourite moment of watching City live up until the Johnstone Paint final win in Cardiff. My expectations for following City had been set very low from the start, my first ever match was the 1-4 defeat against Millwall in the 90/91 season.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Tomarse @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan @Fordy62

Always thought the campaign to get it opened  for home fans was a bit later but will certainly agree if you say it was! Will watch the vid too.

We had times when it was open because of capcity - I think we first split it with Rovers in our 1997 promo season.  The campaign to get it open was around 2002-3 from my memory

Left work at midday with @Arthur Daley and others to have a few hours of boozing in the old Pickled Newt/Prince Rupert before getting taxis to the Nova Scotia, the entire pub was incredibly well refreshed and the singsongs going on in there were brilliant. Pretty sure @Orbital was there too. I remember pretty much everyone at the match being completely and utterly f u ck ed. what a  Nigeria 

22 hours ago, Swede said:

Tony Thorpe was on the pitch at half time at QPR today. They seem to do this regularly there; bring on old players to say a few words at half time - last season when we were there it was the incomparable Stan Bowles!!

Archived