IGNORED

Today’s tactics - absolutely shite.

Fordy62

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If we actually get back to doing what got us so far in the first place we'll have a good chance. 12 massive games coming up.

But I hope we never see us resort to that again. Got to learn his lesson this time that fighting fire with fire isn't the answer.

Our only blessing is the run in is not bad. But Boro have Pulis and an experienced squad. Fancy them. 

30 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Ok, so who was available that was worth having? Lots of teams will be clearly flogging their 20 goal a season player in Jan. Perhaps there were lots of questions asked but stupid money requested.

Our stock was the highest it’s ever been. Just beaten Man Utd. Neck & neck for automatic promotion. We could’ve signed pretty much any semi realistic target we wanted. 

Instead, we went for a young player who hadn’t played since September. One young player who’d played 90 minutes of football all season. To round it up we went and signed a STRIKER who HASNT SCORED ALL SEASON.

Anyone who thinks the January window was anything other than truly terrible needs their head shaking. 

Poor result and generally not a great performance.

But we’ve gone to the team in 2nd, known as a team who muscle their way through games and on the whole we matched them physically. 

Easy to say we should have tried to pass it round them, but there was no space out there and both teams pressed each other hard and the conditions weren’t great.

You could see the game would be decided by a mistake, shame it was us. Why oh why did Baker decide we needed another goal keeper and leave his man, I don’t know.

Very close to coming away with a creditable draw.

Cardiff I thought were poor. How are they second, I cannot imagine they will go up and what a poor turn out by the their fans. Shocking really.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Poor result and generally not a great performance.

But we’ve gone to the team in 2nd, known as a team who muscle their way through games and on th while we matched them physically. 

Easy to say we should have tried to pass it round them, but there was no space out there and both teams pressed each other hard.

You could see the game would be decided by a mistake, shame it was us. Why oh why did Baker decide we needed another goal keeper and leave his man, I don’t know.

Very close to coming away with a creditable draw.

Cardiff I thought were poor. How are they second, I cannot imagine they will go up and what a poor turn out by the their fans. Shocking really.

People will be asking how we are 6th. Constant slating of cardiff is boring. Yes we all know it isnt great to watch but so what we dont have to watch it week in week out so couldnt care less.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Our stock was the highest it’s ever been. Just beaten Man Utd. Neck & neck for automatic promotion. We could’ve signed pretty much any semi realistic target we wanted. 

Instead, we went for a young player who hadn’t played since September. One young player who’d played 90 minutes of football all season. To round it up we went and signed a STRIKER who HASNT SCORED ALL SEASON.

Anyone who thinks the January window was anything other than truly terrible needs their head shaking. 

I accept that we might be an attractive team to sign for, but that does not mean that clubs will automatically accept our offer.

Not saying Jan was brilliant, but you’ve got to be realistic. We don’t know what bids were made.

LJ was trying to outsmart Colin by not adopting City's usual style by playing the two Frenchmen both of whom Colin wouldn't know. much about. It meant Reid playing as a 10. It was a decent strategy but unfortunately it didn't pay off.

At least he tried something different.

56 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Ok, so who was available that was worth having? Lots of teams will be clearly flogging their 20 goal a season player in Jan. Perhaps there were lots of questions asked but stupid money requested.

We have a team of well paid individuals to work that out for us, while we do our own jobs. The January window may as well not have happened. I cannot accept that was the best we could manage. We may well be slowly mounting a challenge for the premiership, but we could easily be back to our usual struggling selves again next season. I guess we just sit back now and watch someone else get promoted, I just love doing that.

54 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

LJ is still firmly in massive credit, obviously, but what in God’s name were the tactics this afternoon?

Awful, awful hoofball. 

You make your name playing slick one touch and then you serve up that? 

Why oh why?

When Ashton said we weren't specifically targeting promotion this season, he was mindful of the fact it's more than just the players who aren't ready yet.... 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ was trying to outsmart Colin by not adopting City's usual style by playing the two Frenchmen both of whom Colin wouldn't much about. It meant Reid playing as a 10. It was a decent strategy but unfortunately it didn't pay off.

At least he tried something different.

Oh come on this is 2018 not 1018 of course Colin knows clearly about all our players whether they are Welsh English French or Mongolian

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Good shout, I am sure the summer window will be so much better when you add your 20 to 30 million into the pot.

Could you please send a cheque?

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Oh come on this is 2018 not 1018 of course Colin knows clearly about all our players whether they are Welsh English French or Mongolian

If only we had signed that bloody Mongolian.

Perhaps six Yaks and two Yurts were way beyond what Lansdown was willing to spend.

Maybe he's one for the future.

1 hour ago, tommy32 said:

Tried to match Cardiff’s lump ball tactics I think. Should have concentrated on our own game 

We did that later on, that's when we conceded the goal. It's never worked there before so it was fair enough to try something different especially since it worked at AG.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

They are not there by fluke. It is the way they play. 

We seemed to decide we would match them, and be better at what they do than them.

We were not. 

Exactly!   We haven't had the training and experience in playing the Cardiff way, so why did LJ decided to out play them at their own game. Stick to what you know works with your team and please LJ for Gods sake, don't start tinkering like you did last season.  You know it makes sense!

I can see his thinking. A big, overly physical side, so we stick two big, physical lads up front and have Bob breaking from the MF.

Unfortunately:

1) We already saw against Sunderland that Fammy and Diony don't work well together. In fact there are doubts Diony works at all.  

2) That particular front two are big but not that physical. They are also slow.

3) We played hoofball to them meaning Bobby couldn't "break through". The ball was lost before he got up the field.

4) The whole concept believes Reid is not tough enough to face Cardiff's defence. He doesn't outmuscle people, he wrongfoots them, and as solid as Bamba et al are, played up front for 90 minutes he would have caused a lot more problems than Diony/Fammy.

5) Everyone could see it wasn't working from about the 30th minute. Why did the subs take so long to be made?

6) Maggers and Wright aren't quite up to such games at present. I honestly don't know what the answer there is though :crying:

53 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Good shout, I am sure the summer window will be so much better when you add your 20 to 30 million into the pot.

Could you please send a cheque?

@petehinton, so you "rubbish" my post but don't comment? 

Easy spending other people's money isn't it, putting it where your mouth is is totally different.

You can carry on rubbishing posts, but surely the only way individuals can make things better is to chip in, otherwise stop moaning at the only bloke that does.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It has to be said, our scouting system is ridiculously hit and miss. Is there any logic to it, or just hope for the best?

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Tough talk from LJ, play my way or you'll be out of the side. It does beggar the question why change tactics today?

He would say - and did say - that the players didn’t play to the usual tactics. He wanted more physicality on the pitch but expected us to still attempt our passing game.

You need Pack getting his foot on the ball and controlling midfield in a game like this. 

I honestly want to say we'll be OK but our transfer dealings in January are awful imo. 

Kent - I can see a great player at this level but he's raw and needs consistent game time to get there. I don't think we'll be able to sign him so he's not helping us push for play offs/promotion if we're developing him when we need peak performance. 

Walsh - I don't see what we bought? Our midfield is probably Olympic one area we have depth and options and Walsh doesn't seem to offer anything new. I understand he's a thought for the future but unless someone leaves I don't see where he's going to get into the team. 

Diony - exactly what we didn't need. He doesn't have experience in this league, his club were willing to let him go only half a season after buying him and he doesn't offer anything new at all. Seeing the strikers the top teams in the Championship sound just screams out that we saw a free gamble in getting him on loan with an option to buy, to me that's just not a signing based on improving the squads quality when we already have 3 strikers who barely get a look in.

If we were serious about pushing for promotion we should have been looking at a high quality left back, right back and an established striker, instead we are left with Mags at LB who looks like he can drop us in the s*** at any point and Wright who is not a right back at all. On top of that we have another striker who just can't deliver when we need it the most. 

Just got back. Jesus you wouldn’t think it was 2nd against 6th chasing for the Premier League! What a terrible game by both teams. The ball was in the air for the most part, nobody got a foot hold on the game. 

Both Diony and Diedhiou couldn’t control a classroom.

Been watching City since about 1963 ( the days of Malcolm Graham et al), and have read OTIB posts but never joined until now. Have never been a fan of LJ, and often cannot see the logic in his selections/subs. Why on earth, in a game of today's importance if we want to push for play off place or better, would you drop our top scorer into midfield (where he has not been a resounding success in past seasons), and replace him with a striker untested in the Championship, who has not scored all season and against Sunderland turned one of the worst 45 minutes I have seen from a City player.

Joke french idiots who cant hold a ball up let alone control it .fuk1n joke there both sh1te .we r punching massivley above r weight apart from korey the team is average at best .stop dreamin and face facts .diony fukoff johnson pile of shit 9 mill my ass by proven english players not this utter crap french shite and ye that includes deidou hes shite too .ur all foolin urselves if you fink there decent they aint.to many city fans actually fink wer gud wel we aint no wer close .

2 minutes ago, Vil1 said:

Joke french idiots who cant hold a ball up let alone control it .fuk1n joke there both sh1te .we r punching massivley above r weight apart from korey the team is average at best .stop dreamin and face facts .diony fukoff johnson pile of shit 9 mill my ass by proven english players not this utter crap french shite and ye that includes deidou hes shite too .ur all foolin urselves if you fink there decent they aint.to many city fans actually fink wer gud wel we aint no wer close .

£25 of my ill-gotten to a charity of OTIB's choosing if this one gets the tumbleweed treatment.

Archived