IGNORED

Cotterill got the bullet then

kevthered

6 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

I actually thought he looked ill. Very thin around the face. Probably glad to be put out of his misery

Me too. Leaving was the best thing for him IMO - he looked a shadow of his former self, didn`t look like he`d slept in weeks, had lost weight and was going to make himself ill if he hasn`t already. It made me so sad to see him like that.

No job`s worth that.

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Or Bradford or Coventry?

Personally I think he was always waiting for a Championship club with Sheff U being the only exception, might have to set his sights a little lower now after his miserable time at Brum

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

Personally I think he was always waiting for a Championship club with Sheff U being the only exception, might have to set his sights a little lower now after his miserable time at Brum

Yep, this Brum episode hasn’t done his CV any favours....he may have to settle for the vacancy at Swindon....

9 hours ago, spudski said:

It's not just about what you achieve over a season fella...it's what you do long term for the health of the club. No doubting he produced a great season, but at the cost of so much outside of that season. It's no coincidence we had a bad season after...people can say he wasn't backed as much as they want, but that's not true. The Club would have backed the right decisions, not Dreamland stuff. The guy looks completely short term, if he didn't he may still be here, but he stuffed it up good and proper. Moral of the story....don't agree to do one thing, then go feral... there's only one winner there. Thank God we have an owner who sees long term now and looks out for the good of the club. Unfortunately most fans will only see the results that one season and not what else was happening....because it wasn't publicly documented. Shame.

Oh your selective memory comes back. Are you serious. Have you any idea what was going on at the club that summer ? You think that was all down to Cotterill ? Your purile attempts to downgrade an extraordinary turnaround, and never seen before promotion and glorious football is getting worn thin. He never ever had the backing of LJ, who is and has been backed like no other manager in the clubs history. Thankfully he seems now to be improving at the rate of the some players, but the core of the side that is performing so well is definitely pre LJ and that is no coincidence.

If you want to document things, please do, because there are a lot of  people, including Sl who will not come out of it smelling of roses during that period. 

Fella 

6 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Oh your selective memory comes back. Are you serious. Have you any idea what was going on at the club that summer ? You think that was all down to Cotterill ? Your purile attempts to downgrade an extraordinary turnaround, and never seen before promotion and glorious football is getting worn thin. He never ever had the backing of LJ, who is and has been backed like no other manager in the clubs history. Thankfully he seems now to be improving at the rate of the some players, but the core of the side that is performing so well is definitely pre LJ and that is no coincidence.

If you want to document things, please do, because there are a lot of  people, including Sl who will not come out of it smelling of roses during that period. 

Fella 

I have plenty of idea as to what was happening whilst SC was here....thank for asking... FELLA!!! ;-)

Nothing to do with Contracts, Agents, the Head Scout and his contacts, and why a financial director left....and someone wanting it little bit more, that thought would go unnoticed. Keep dreaming Pal...There was no 'winner' in that debacle. I know more than you think...from both sides of the story. A real messy part of our history...but like you say...no one comes up smelling of roses. The messy greedy side of football showing it's ugly head.

Unfortunately you completely miss what I've said in my post. I said he gave us a good season. And I implied why he wasn't backed like LJ. Unfortunately you only seem to want to see one side of the story.

Do you honestly believe SL and the directors would not back a manager and let relegation happen? Seriously? There are reasons SC's 'demands' weren't met...and thank god for the good of the future of the club they weren't.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I have plenty of idea as to what was happening whilst SC was here....thank for asking... FELLA!!! ;-)

Nothing to do with Contracts, Agents, the Head Scout and his contacts, and why a financial director left....and someone wanting it little bit more, that thought would go unnoticed. Keep dreaming Pal...There was no 'winner' in that debacle. I know more than you think...from both sides of the story. A real messy part of our history...but like you say...no one comes up smelling of roses. The messy greedy side of football showing it's ugly head.

Unfortunately you completely miss what I've said in my post. I said he gave us a good season. And I implied why he wasn't backed like LJ. Unfortunately you only seem to want to see one side of the story.

Do you honestly believe SL and the directors would not back a manager and let relegation happen? Seriously? There are reasons SC's 'demands' weren't met...and thank god for the good of the future of the club they weren't.

SL spoke at Senior Reds just before Xmas before last. 

He was asked about transfers etc and why the proposed transfers didn't happen.

He said the Cotterill had told him that he'd got "everything he could" from the squad. SL then said "I didn't believe him" We all exchanged glances across the table at that realising that Cotterills days were numbered. Not long after SC was sacked.

Last season SL gave an interview on the now defunct Subs Bench and said that he'd appointed LJ  to instil some stability at the club. He was fed up with chopping and changing the manager and his staff. He also said that managers at interview agreed with the philosophy but once in post failed to implement it - was that aimed at Cotterill?    :dunno:

That said - it doesn't matter about the why's and what nots now. We have a young and exciting manager at last.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He said the Cotterill had told him that he'd got "everything he could" from the squad. SL then said "I didn't believe him" We all exchanged glances across the table at that realising that Cotterills days were numbered. Not long after SC was sacked.

Last season SL gave an interview on the now defunct Subs Bench and said that he'd appointed LJ  to instil some stability at the club. He was fed up with chopping and changing the manager and his staff. He also said that managers at interview agreed with the philosophy but once in post failed to implement it - was that aimed at Cotterill?    :dunno:

That said - it doesn't matter about the why's and what nots now. We have a young and exciting manager at last.

If I recall correctly just before Cotts was hired the club said we would be hiring a " First Team Coach " and not a manager .

Cotts very quickly went against the club by declaring himself ' Manager ' , for me the partnership must have been rocky from day one.

I doubt that SL envisaged keeping Cotts long term and  as the team kept winning he kept his powder dry .

Cotts qualities are also his faults ( the same as for us all ) but his stubbornness and ego eventually made it impossible for a good working relationship to prevail .

There could only be one winner .

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's been a massive learning curve from all parties RR.

I feel really sorry for Cotts  but in taking that job he was on a hiding to nothing. At least he should get a pay off.

When you have sources close to the club openly talking to other managers it says a lot about their integrity and, I may add, the latest incumbent of the position.

I have nothing but fond memories of his time in charge in what I consider to be our fourth best season ever

Div1 runners up

FA Cup finalists

Promotion to Div 1

The look on his face when Wilbs scored the third against swindle said it all

On 03/03/2018 at 19:07, spudski said:

Job for Warnock...;:laugh:

Can't believe SC has struggled to do well with the players at his disposal.

Didn't the fans and certain players want him back?

Must have earnt a shit load from his sackings.

Sometimes it’s a lot more than that though Spudski. It’s why IMO Coleman was mental to take on Sunderland. Both clubs have got rotten cores.

And I see the old “we were after unrealistic players in late August so all our transfer targets were Dwight Gayle” kind of logic is still in vogue, despite it being absolute bollocks

15 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

In my recollection of enjoyable seasons, promotion under Cotts comes third, after promotion to the top division in 1976 and to Division 2 in 1965. Given my 57 years supporting City, that's not a bad ranking.

What about 1978/79 - finished 13th in the 1st Division! Losing only home games. And winning 15 times! And we were one of only four sides to beat champions Liverpool that season. You/we never had it so good!

14 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

What about 1978/79 - finished 13th in the 1st Division! Losing only home games. And winning 15 times! And we were one of only four sides to beat champions Liverpool that season. You/we never had it so good!

Not the same excitement, although it was a good season. Guess which team has the best league record against Liverpool?

I don't give a flying **** about bullshit conspiracy theories. 

SC gave me the best ever overall season in my living memory and almost 60 years of support and I for one will never forget that and will always be grateful for that.

It was the 7th promotion but the one and only championship and that makes it special, I remember the embarrassment of the gutless surrender to the gas under Jordan in 1990 and that hurt, I remember I left after the final whistle after beating Walsall, never stayed for the celebrations because although I was happy we had been promoted, we should have been champions that season and it ******* hurt that we had given it to them.

For what it's worth SC is no different to GJ or John Ward and even possibly Fred Ford in believing having gained promotion that they were immovable objects because of their achievement and that leads to strange behaviour and even stranger decision making.

Was SL correct to sack SC?, yes absolutely.

Is some of the hostility towards him especially from those who never wanted him here in the first place and stated their shame when the miserable old SOD was sacked fair?, is it ****.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

SC gave me the best ever overall season in my living memory and almost 60 years of support and for I will never forget that and will always be grateful for that.

It was the 7th promotion but the one and only championship and that makes it special, I remember the embarrassment of the gutless surrender to the gas under Jordan in 1990 and that hurt, I remember I left after the final whistle after beating Walsall, never stayed for the celebrations because although I was happy we had been promoted, we should have been champions that season and it ******* hurt that we had given it to them.

For what it's worth SC is no different to GJ or John Ward and even possibly Fred Ford in believing having gained promotion that they were immovable objects because of their achievement and that leads to strange behaviour and even stranger decision making.

Is some of the hostility towards him especially from those who never wanted him here in the first place and stated their shame when the miserable old SOD was sacked fair?, is it ****.

The Logic with SC and that season...is a bit like your closest friend letting you drive around in his Ferrari for a year. It put a smile on your face and made you very happy at the time.

Then at the beginning of the next year, you find your wife is not being the same and offish, and your mate wants his car back.

Later on in the year, your mate confides that he was having an affair with your wife, whilst you were out enjoying driving around in his car.

You still have fond memories of driving that car, but you've got rid of your mate for almost destroying your marriage, and forgiven your wife, and thankfully you've both learnt from it and it's made your marriage stronger ;-)

27 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

SC gave me the best ever overall season in my living memory and almost 60 years of support and I for one will never forget that and will always be grateful for that.

I’d love to like this twice.

What do our two best windows of that time, summer 2014 and January 2016, have in common? You don’t have to look far into your “DNA” for the answer.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The Logic with SC and that season...is a bit like your closest friend letting you drive around in his Ferrari for a year. It put a smile on your face and made you very happy at the time.

Then at the beginning of the next year, you find your wife is not being the same and offish, and your mate wants his car back.

Later on in the year, your mate confides that he was having an affair with your wife, whilst you were out enjoying driving around in his car.

You still have fond memories of driving that car, but you've got rid of your mate for almost destroying your marriage, and forgiven your wife, and thankfully you've both learnt from it and it's made your marriage stronger ;-)

Jesus, that ridiculous analogy has gone right over my head, but hey after the utter misery of SOD's sad reign, what happened next was just the ticket and of course is the reason that our latest future ex manager is the manager of a championship side so early in his so far patchy managerial career.

Sometimes I have to say, if bullshit was music you would be the king of jazz.

18 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Jesus, that ridiculous analogy has gone right over my head, but hey after the utter misery of SOD's sad reign, what happened next was just the ticket and of course is the reason that our latest future ex manager is the manager of a championship side so early in his so far patchy managerial career.

Sometimes I have to say, if bullshit was music you would be the king of jazz.

That doesn't surprise me EMB ;-)

Archived