IGNORED

Should he stay or go

Topper 123

25 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

LJ will kick off next season without a doubt and I think he’s earned that right. Okay, after the great start we had and the incredible cup run (during which we all hailed him as some kind of messiah) things have turned a bit shit. That’s football it can happen.

The strange thing is how he tends to be ‘shit or champagne’!

That's exactly it. If we were in this position, or even a few points worse off, having been reasonably consistent all season then I think most would be more than happy. The problem is that the contrasts between our best and worst are so stark and so long-lasting that it leaves people wondering how good we really are.

35 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

LJ will kick off next season without a doubt and I think he’s earned that right. Okay, after the great start we had and the incredible cup run (during which we all hailed him as some kind of messiah) things have turned a bit shit. That’s football it can happen.

The strange thing is how he tends to be ‘shit or champagne’!

Yep and it has happened every single season that LJ has been in management, that is the convenient part that you left out and some of the excuse makers are failing to admit and it is a very worrying trait/flaw in his management record, it says to me that he lacks the skills to end such runs quickly, he lacks a viable plan B and most importantly that the dressing room has probably not fully bought into his philosophy once the inevitable slump kicks in and that is when you see actually how good your manager actually is.

I think he has earned the right to carry on, but only if he delivers consistency next season, anything less and another long disheartening slump and he has to go.

And our very nice owner has to convey that message to him in no uncertain terms.

When the team go on summer break, confiscate his passport and lock him in an academy classroom with the football manager hand book, if he can’t get it in 2 weeks then sack him! 

Seriously if he hasn’t learnt his tactics and got to know the strengths of his players by now he either needs to be moved on or an experienced MANAGER should be brought in to show the Coach how it should be done!

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That's exactly it. If we were in this position, or even a few points worse off, having been reasonably consistent all season then I think most would be more than happy. The problem is that the contrasts between our best and worst are so stark and so long-lasting that it leaves people wondering how good we really are.

Precisely what i have been alluding to. I am sure the majority feel the same.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yep and it has happened every single season that LJ has been in management, that is the convenient part that you left out and some of the excuse makers are failing to admit and it is a very worrying trait/flaw in his management record, it says to me that he lacks the skills to end such runs quickly, he lacks a viable plan B and most importantly that the dressing room has probably not fully bought into his philosophy once the inevitable slump kicks in and that is when you see actually how good your manager actually is.

I think he has earned the right to carry on, but only if he delivers consistency next season, anything less and another long disheartening slump and he has to go.

I completely agree with you Es. I’m not making excuses. Hence the shit or champagne comment. 

People should not scoff at the question. 

I like to look back to Southampton. They were a League One side when they appointed Nigel Adkins. He won back to back promotions to the Prem and he had them 3 clear of relegation towards the end of January. Most clubs would be happy.

He was sacked, replaced with Pochettino and the club and new manager did not look back. I reckon if there is better out there and interested you should always replace. 

SL said don't love a player we will move on if we can improve. He should have the same ethos with manager. Maybe he does. 

It’s like the players have lost belief and / or respect for him again

Starting to wonder , as I stated last season whether he has that much influence over the desire / energy or when the players get it together when they fancy , particularly when the Sky Cameras are about

Forget the views on here about them , Signing Diony and Kent and trying to keep shoehorning them in won’t have done him any favours with the rest of the squad 

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I'd have anyone over this guy. Clueless. 

Ok, hopefully steve will give Sean o Driscoll a bell for you 

let’s change manager whilst in an ok position cos that went well for BIRMINGHAM or let’s keep changing managers then we can be just like Sunderland, forest, Leeds    That’s going well 

45 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

I'm slowly getting concerned about Lee Johnson. Like his dad he lacks a tangible plan B and that's why his dad's career had tapered off, IMO. Sooner or later one of these lengthy runs of abysmal form will occur when there are insufficient games left to wait on a miracle. Ironic now how many were jesting, myself included,  when we had accumulated enough points to be 'safe'. It's not quite so amusing now we're not significantly better off after a dire run of games. We're looking at a top half finish but having been 2nd around the turn of the year, that's a shocking collapse.  And this is with almost all of the squad back fit and no distracting cup runs!!  Not good enough in my opinion!

Nail on head, A golden opportunity to have a crack at reaching the Prem tossed away. 

Unfortunately we are stuck with LJ, until it really goes tits up. Let's hope that doesn't come with relegation next year. 

1 minute ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Ok, hopefully steve will give Sean o Driscoll a bell for you 

let’s change manager whilst in an ok position cos that went well for BIRMINGHAM or let’s keep changing managers then we can be just like Sunderland, forest, Leeds    That’s going well 

And I agree wholeheartedly.

However there needs to be long hard look at our transfer policy especially our shocking January window, the lack of chances given to certain players and long disheartening really poor streaks that LJ has and he has to know that it needs to be addressed.

Ah, I see the LJ civil war has begun again, and the folks on here pointing the finger at Stephen Lansdown.

You'd have to be absolutely mad to want LJ sacked this season.  See what develops next season and watch what we are building.

Rome wasn't built in a day (first time I've ever used that ancient quote)!

LJ to stay for me, in case it isn't clear!

Think the manager has to be given another chance.

Ok, dreadful since the start of 2018 and the last thing we need is to start poorly in August

What im at ends with is the people we brought in Jan.

Dreadful. 

Lee said he thought the squad was strong enough to challenge but the french striker, the loanee Kent have been awful.

Walsh, well hes part of the squad now so has to have a chance, we have to wait and see.

Not sure if LJ has a massive influence on signings but if its down to Ashton and others that has to stop.

Still, in August 2017, if someone would have said 8th finish in the Championship , Semi final of a major cup final, crowds averaging 21,000 plus i would have snapped anyones hands off

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Scoffed at this but thinking seriously about it...

No, not this season. If the form we're in now continues, with a dire summer window and barely any shots on target each game, we'll be around the relegation places, and serious questions will have to be asked. If he can keep us in and around mid table he won't be going, and nor should he.

However, now is the time to put big questions marks over how good he actually is as a manager.

- Poor use of substitutions (seemed to be improving, but sticking the big men on and going long isn't management. It's a gamble. It's not an adequate plan B).

- Consistently out-thought tactically.

- Poor recruitment.

- Unable to shake off these bad runs when they start.

For me these are all reasons to be worried and while I don't want him out, I'd like to see all of them addressed pretty ******* sharpish.

Sorry, everyone, haven’t read all 3 pages, but saw this one.  I don’t think SL will accept a bottom half / relegation battle, and in fairness to SL, it was him saying he wanted to have a go at getting to the play-offs this season.  That was quite a statement, that many of us thought a bit stretched....surely mid-table / no relegation battle would suffice.  I don’t think SL suffers fools and as much as he’ll want LJ (with his City affinity) to succeed, I don’t believe for one minute it’s a "job for life".

In some respects, I'd probably prefer some lower-Prem or relegated-Prem team to believe he is the 8th best young manager in the "universe" (or whatever) and take him off our hands.  I think LJ is ambitious and I think if there was a sniff that either SL was beginning to lose faith or that he could t take us to the Prem, that he might happily go elsewhere.  There us no loyalty in football...honestly!

I’m so mixed re LJ, really like some things, don’t like others.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, everyone, haven’t read all 3 pages, but saw this one.  I don’t think SL will accept a bottom half / relegation battle, and in fairness to SL, it was him saying he wanted to have a go at getting to the play-offs this season.  That was quite a statement, that many of us thought a bit stretched....surely mid-table / no relegation battle would suffice.  I don’t think SL suffers fools and as much as he’ll want LJ (with his City affinity) to succeed, I don’t believe for one minute it’s a "job for life".

In some respects, I'd probably prefer some lower-Prem or relegated-Prem team to believe he is the 8th best young manager in the "universe" (or whatever) and take him off our hands.  I think LJ is ambitious and I think if there was a sniff that either SL was beginning to lose faith or that he could t take us to the Prem, that he might happily go elsewhere.  There us no loyalty in football...honestly!

I’m so mixed re LJ, really like some things, don’t like others.

Don't build our hopes up Dave, we have had them built up just to be smashed by our club all season.

We would have to be in the bottom 3 this time next year for SL to consider kicking him out.......but he wont even if we go down he will still be "building for the future"; so definitely he should go, but he will be here for a few seasons yet....unfortunately.

Everybody`s happy on planet Lansdown jogging along...nicely.

4 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Don't build our hopes up Dave, we have had them built up just to be smashed by our club all season.

But that’s what this club does.....consistently does.....so stands to reason it’s gonna happen. :P

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

He will be given time by SL and MA

IMO, on his own, I think he shows all the hallmarks of being out of his depth though. I want him to succeed but ain’t gonna happen - he loves the club - no issues there.

Yes he loves the club,  but so do I, but can I manage it?  NO!!!!

18 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Ah, I see the LJ civil war has begun again, and the folks on here pointing the finger at Stephen Lansdown.

You'd have to be absolutely mad to want LJ sacked this season.  See what develops next season and watch what we are building.

Rome wasn't built in a day (first time I've ever used that ancient quote)!

LJ to stay for me, in case it isn't clear!

Sorry I don't see what you are seeing, I see a few calling for his head that will always be the case.

What I see is that most people have resigned themselves to the fact that this season is petering out with a disheartening whimper and that LJ yearly long and equally disheartening slumps has reappeared to put yet another damper on another season.

I see people rightly questioning our transfer policy, a policy that is hugely hit and miss and in January way off target, I see people questioning team selection, tactics, substitutions and bewildering reluctance to even try some of the players that he himself has signed and I believe all of the above needs to be addressed and he has to know that he has to somehow find the formula to become a consistent manager.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but with a better January window for starters that day could have seemed a lot closer.

LJ to stay for me as well, but really has to improve where he is failing, a good look at what a vast majority of us see with Paterson would be a good starting point IMHO.

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I said it in the match day thread but will repeat it here

We have only been pap since Diedhou and Pisano returned to the fold properly and trying to accommodate them seems to have messed with our mojo. It should have been for them to dislodge players and a team to that point who were over performing, however, once fit, were straight back in effectively messing up the teams shape and cohesion.

We have this thing of trying to over complicate things and go 'striker' mad in this league causing no end of grief ( see Thorpe, Akinbiyi, Sorensen, or form dipping after changing for Adebola) This isnt a manager thing. I think genuinely top to bottom as a club we dont know how to push on as we have never done it and are grasping at straws to see what it takes.

Just an idea, but maybe get in an experienced manager who does know? Christ, SL is successful in the financial world; I doubt he got there by hiring then keeping people with little experience who, given backing and every chance, show they didn't have a clue. Why does he do it with our club?

Am I missing something here ? 

We are almost guaranteed to have a Top Ten finish this season.

We still have a chance of making the play offs (very unlikely after the last two performances I know)

We had a brilliant League Cup run - including beating Man U at home and giving the best team in the country a run for their money over two legs.

Yet people are still moaning about LJ. 

I don't get it. he is still a young manager who is learning his trade. 

And SL backs him 100%

He is not going anywhere soon, so please support him. 

Archived