IGNORED

Bristol Bears - Rebrand ! (Merged)

cheshire_red

As a rugby guy first and foremost this is crap, could you imagine if this was attempted by the regular football arm of Bristol Sport? 

Most people I know want a red away kit to mirror City's and would be cool to see the inverse of navy and blue hoops away to bring a bit of unity whilst respecting traditions of both clubs.

Destroying the crest is worst of all for me;

19 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

As a rugby guy first and foremost this is crap, could you imagine if this was attempted by the regular football arm of Bristol Sport? 

Most people I know want a red away kit to mirror City's and would be cool to see the inverse of navy and blue hoops away to bring a bit of unity whilst respecting traditions of both clubs.

This has got to be a joke?

34 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Completely agree with you. 

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Dont care. They were skint then. Corporate sponsorship helped them this is totally different mate.

They weren’t skint, Malcolm Pearce’s money saved them three years before the deal with Mitsubishi which included the name change - even so, why don’t you care when you think money is involved but you care like mad when it isn’t?!

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They weren’t skint, Malcolm Pearce’s money saved them three years before the deal with Mitsubishi which included the name change - even so, why don’t you care when you think money is involved but you care like mad when it isn’t?!

Because Bristol doesnt  have to change its name because they are a wealthy rugby club now and the name change isnt tied into anything income generating. Whatever you say about Pearce they were in need of sponsorship and the required name change back then.

What dont you get about that? If you have no choice do whatever it takes to remain or become competitive. If you dont have to why bother? Gloster and Bath dont seem to need a silly name

.edit someone just said Glos is rebrandung so hope this is a massive wind up.

So there's already a Bristol Bears wheelchair rugby team... BristolBears.co.uk is a gay event website... Bristol-Bears.co.uk was registered in January but no obvious connection to Bristol Rugby/Bristol Sport.

There's an application for a trademark at the IPO for "Bristol Bears Rugby Club" filed by Bristol Sport Ltd in December 2017.

A company Bristol Bears Ltd was registered at Companies House in May 2017, which at incorporation was fully owned by Mark Tainton rather than the existing Bristol Rugby Club Ltd or Bristol Sport Ltd like you might reasonably expect. Not sure why you'd register a new company if it's a rebranding. Surely you'd just rename the existing company?

Might it possibly tie in somehow with the Rugby League team possibly coming Bristol's way next year? "A new club in Bristol that is backed by significant support and investment" very much sounds like something Bristol Sport would be likely to be involved in.

Is this thread just people jumping on the "bash Bristol Sport" bandwagon on the basis of a flimsy rumour rather than waiting for any concrete information at all?

I'm not particularly interested in Rugby but this renaming thing seems very unlikely to me, the most likely explanation would be the new Rugby League team being created as mentioned above. A name like Bristol Bears would be entirely in keeping with that.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Tradition? They’ve been the Bristol Shoguns before..... http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/15350515/bristol-shoguns-premiership-warpath

What so because there was a rebrand before (which I assume failed) that wipes out all the history that goes with Bristol Rugby?

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

What so because there was a rebrand before (which I assume failed) that wipes out all the history that goes with Bristol Rugby?

No, you said ‘what about tradition?’ - I merely pointed out when they changed their name before.....nothing about wiping out all the history, just said they’ve changed their name before....calm down....

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, you said ‘what about tradition?’ - I merely pointed out when they changed their name before.....nothing about wiping out all the history, just said they’ve changed their name before....calm down....

Aye, they fucked with the tradition of the club before, they're fucking with it again.

I'm calm, just not a fan of this Americanisation of British sports.

The only excuse I can come up with is the new league sponsor and rebranding (Gallagher Premiership Rugby) actually requires all clubs to have it in the small print as it's a big US company and wants to market there.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premiership-rugby-gallagher-title-sponsor

According to the above there has to be regular games in Chicago, in which case well done Bristol Sport for obvious reasons. 

Glaws are apparently going to be the Lions (should be interesting to see how that goes down with the shed dwellers), which leaves the Barf scum down the road the only club left in the coming season without a gimmicky name. Of course if it's not a requirement I really want to hear Bristol Sport's reasoning for this.

Oh dear. I shall not bother supporting them next season. What a load of amoebic crap doing that.

I thought we were better than Hull Tigers or City or whatever it is.

100+ years of history trashed. Nice one Bristol Sport... Just because a few other clubs have done it some sheep follower at BS feels Bristol should join in. This sort of dumbing down of a name that has gravitas in the world of Rugby being destroyed by someone's ignorant and childish wet dream. Whatever next. Oh no.

Does seem that it might be driven by Premiership Rugby and possibly links in with their newly announced US sponsorship deal. A few teams seem to be making a change or two...

Gloucester have registered various new logo trademarks with a lion, Exeter have registered Exeter Athletic Rugby and Bath Rugby have registered a new logo too.

32 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Thought this was a wind up.. however now just seen that Bristol sport have registered Bristol bears as a company, with Tainton as a director

bizzare 

That seems to be the only concrete evidence so far, but is easily explained by the fact that the Wheelchair Rugby team are called the Bears.

Archived