IGNORED

Bristol Bears - Rebrand ! (Merged)

cheshire_red

Genuine questions for someone - were Leicester Tigers always “Tigers”?

Were Exeter Chiefs always “Chiefs”?

Were Newcastle Falcons always “Falcons”?

It seems that a name suffix is quite common in rugby union, and very common in rugby league. It just strikes me that this perhaps isn’t quite as outrageous as it would be in football, where the name is considered more sacrosanct? Is it just a case of keeping up with the ongoing evolution of rugby?

I know for example that one day sides in cricket all have name suffixes and it hasn’t caused a stir there in the same way.

Not a big rugby fan so I’m asking really - perhaps we view this with more outrage because it’s simply not palettable in football?

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair, if this is true (which I’m not sure it is) then fair play, rugby gets a fraction of the money football does and they need to find alternative sources of income, if that’s having a nickname or whatever to boost it then so what really? People who like Bristol and like rugby will still go

So if we became Bristol Lucky 8s to get more money from China as we are in the bottom third for finance in the Championship you’d be happy? 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Genuine questions for someone - were Leicester Tigers always “Tigers”?

Were Exeter Chiefs always “Chiefs”?

Were Newcastle Falcons always “Falcons”?

It seems that a name suffix is quite common in rugby union, and very common in rugby league. It just strikes me that this perhaps isn’t quite as outrageous as it would be in football, where the name is considered more sacrosanct? Is it just a case of keeping up with the ongoing evolution of rugby?

I know for example that one day sides in cricket all have name suffixes and it hasn’t caused a stir there in the same way.

Not a big rugby fan so I’m asking really - perhaps we view this with more outrage because it’s simply not palettable in football?

Tigers was a nickname as is "Saints" for Northampton.

Exeter Chiefs and Worcester Warriors at the top level of English rugby are  pretty new entities, and Newcastle also because the top club there was Gosforth which merged with another club, so none were traditionally known by their silly add on names.

Likewise Sale Sharks (wtf is that all about), but they are a club getting about 6,000 spectators so need to drag people in somehow

I understand your point about cricket but thats not the "traditional" 3 day game I think - the one day stuff especially 20/20 is almost a different sport.

If its to please the yanks, then watch this space about London Irish being relegated - can't have that.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Exeter Chiefs and Worcester Warriors at the top level of English rugby are  pretty new entities, and Newcastle also because the top club there was Gosforth which merged with another club, so none were traditionally known by their silly add on names.

Likewise Sale Sharks (wtf is that all about), but they are a club getting about 6,000 spectators so need to drag people in somehow

I understand your point about cricket but thats not the "traditional" 3 day game I think - the one day stuff especially 20/20 is almost a different sport.

If its to please the yanks, then watch this space about London Irish being relegated - can't have that.

Thanks. Was there an outcry when Leceister became formally known as Leicester Tigers? Or when any other club adopted a suffix?

Not judging it either way - I’m genuinely asking. If there was no notable objection then that does suggest there is a cultural difference between the sports and a different reaction in rugby - if you compare it to the attempt to rename Hull FC as Hull Tigers, for example.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks. Was there an outcry when Leceister became formally known as Leicester Tigers? Or when any other club adopted a suffix?

Not judging it either way - I’m genuinely asking. If there was no notable objection then that does suggest there is a cultural difference between the sports and a different reaction in rugby - if you compare it to the attempt to rename Hull FC as Hull Tigers, for example.

I took a quick glance on the Bristol Rugby forum last night and they're probably split half and half into some that are dead against it and some who are not fussed or who think it's actually a positive. Definitely completely incomparable to the kind of reaction you'd get from the supporters of a football club.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think if Bristol had been historically known as "The bears" it wouldn't be an issue. I think if Leicester had never ever been known as the Tigers there would have been a big outcry as they are the biggest club in the UK.

If this was all associated with some pre season tournament in the US then fair enough. but Bristol, Bath and Gloucester, have until now held onto the traditions of the club.

What people need to appreciate is that whilst nothing like football, attendances are rising in rugby and much of the new demographic appear to enjoy wearing face paint, bang clappers on the wall, be up and down to the bar every 15 minutes and do mexican waves. Taking in very little of the game itself. Home games are even taken abroad ffs...

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not sure Leicester is known for its native tiger population to be fair.

And I have been to Exeter dozens of times and cannot recall seeing indians chasing down any cowboys. Mind you on top of the Mendips there are a bunch of trees on the escarpment that look just like a bunch of Navajo... You need to look it up.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I took a quick glance on the Bristol Rugby forum last night and they're probably split half and half into some that are dead against it and some who are not fussed or who think it's actually a positive. Definitely completely incomparable to the kind of reaction you'd get from the supporters of a football club.

Are many of the pro camp newbies KITR ? cant access their site so just asking.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

And I have been to Exeter dozens of times and cannot recall seeing indians chasing down any cowboys. Mind you on top of the Mendips there are a bunch of trees on the escarpment that look just like a bunch of Navajo... You need to look it up.

Just dont go swimming in the Manchester Ship canal, all them sharks.. cue Jaws theme....

Bristol Blues would have been slightly more palatable if its to please the new Yankie money source. At least it has some relevance.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Just dont go swimming in the Manchester Ship canal, all them sharks.. cue Jaws theme....

Bristol Blues would have been slightly more palatable if its to please the new Yankie money source. At least it has some relevance.

Aside from an utterly crass move, if it materialises, rather bizarre they they would choose 'Bears' or 'failure' in light of the apparent appeasement to the US market you and others mention; if you have to choose a name be positive and successful and choose 'Bulls'. Talking about shooting oneself in the foot; twice.

47 minutes ago, Selred said:

So if we became Bristol Lucky 8s to get more money from China as we are in the bottom third for finance in the Championship you’d be happy? 

Yeah or if Cardiff became the Cardiff Reds because that colour was considered lucky in the far east....oh hold on...

28 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What are you talking about? Everyone knows that there are millions of sharks knocking about in the north west :fear:

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Aside from an utterly crass move, if it materialises, rather bizarre they they would choose 'Bears' or 'failure' in light of the apparent appeasement to the US market you and others mention; if you have to choose a name be positive and successful and choose 'Bulls'. Talking about shooting oneself in the foot; twice.

Haha nice observation.

How about any of the Bristol warplanes?,  Bristol Concordes, Bristol Bare knuckles.

Something with local historic resonance.

Archived