IGNORED

Bristol Bears - Rebrand ! (Merged)

cheshire_red

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oh come on, politically correct or not, you and I both know if the Gas lot had rebranded and this was the result we would be ripping them to shreads. 

Seriously, did no one google Bristol Bear before the deal was rubber stamped, no one? Staggering if so.

I don't see why it is an issue because it's a gay bar. Would it be ok if it wasn't a gay bar then?

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oh come on, politically correct or not, you and I both know if the Gas lot had rebranded and this was the result we would be ripping them to shreads. 

Seriously, did no one google Bristol Bear before the deal was rubber stamped, no one? Staggering if so.

Exactly. I cannot believe nobody researched this or could see the potential laughing stock that would be made of this re-branding. 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't see why it is an issue because it's a gay bar. Would it be ok if it wasn't a gay bar then?

Super, please stop with the PC stuff. Nobody is being homophobic, it's just a hilarious coincidence. Just the same as if the 'Bristol Bears' were a lawn bowls team.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Exactly. I cannot believe nobody researched this or could see the potential laughing stock that would be made of this re-branding. 

Super, please stop with the PC stuff. Nobody is being homophobic, it's just a hilarious coincidence. Just the same as if the 'Bristol Bears' were a lawn bowls team.

For me it's an absolute cluster fuck with this renaming, even if it had been a tiddlywinks club it is poor prep that nobody noticed at least one other group in the area with the same name already

I noticed someone took the twitter handle for this too - so the club will be running out of domain names if nothing else

2 hours ago, Super said:

It could be a playgroup or a cage fighting meet and anything in between. The fact is it was an established group with active social media, so why wasn’t it found?

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Interesting that there is more noise about consulting supporters in the future. I think I'd prefer it if the club just said that they weren't interested in what the supporters thought and were just going to do what they want. At least that would be more honest.

But what if they consult with supporters and don’t like what they hear? Interesting.

2 hours ago, Super said:

I think it's more the case of bristol's rebranding  and this gay bar owning all relevent domain names which is the story.

Clearly Steve wants to rebrand to focus in on the commercial aspect, give the club a international identity. What's the first thing anyone is going to do when searching for the Bristol Bear Brand online... well hit a gay pub site!  I am hoping the pub keep the internet domain and tell the club to do one.... rebrand that Mr Lansdown!

Ps

I can think of a great song by electric six that Bristol can run out to :)

• Admin
UNBEARLIEVABLE 

Top rugby club ridiculed by fans as team’s new name is the same as gay bar

Fans of Bristol are worried their team will become a 'laughing stock' after it was renamed the Bristol Bears, which is the same as a well-known gay group

A TOP rugby club has been ridiculed by fans after changing its name to that of a gay group.

Bristol decided to revamp their image and call themselves the Bristol Bears

But that is the name of a well-known gay pub and social scene in the city.

The Bristol Bears hold their own summer fiesta, take part in Pride events and own the internet domain for the name.

A 'bear' is a  muscular, older gay or bisexual man who is  bearded or has lots of body hair.

The club is based at the Bristol Bear Bar in the city’s Old Market “gay village”.

A bear is a  muscular, older gay or bisexual man who is  bearded or has lots of body hair

The bar declined to comment. But a regular on the scene said: “It’s hilarious. I’ve been checking out the rugby website. I’m sure those players will be welcomed in Old Market."

Tonight fans spoke out. Phil Franklin, 52, of Cheddar, Somerset, said: “We could end up being a laughing stock.”

Anthony Beavon, 61, of Shepton Mallet, said: “I didn’t think my club could be so stupid.”

On  Twitter,  Tim Brown said: “You do realise you’re going to get a lot of confused fans when they google Bristol bears.”

The decision to change the rugby union club’s name for next season came after it won promotion to the Premiership.

Owner Steve Lansdown said of  the animal: “It defends for its life when it needs to, is aggressive in attack when it needs to be.

“We need that sort of spirit going forward to get that success we want.”

A spokeswoman from Bristol Sport, which runs the club, said: “We were aware of the Bristol Bear Bar from the beginning of the rebrand process.

“We are confident that we can all co-exist happily together.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6077370/bristol-bears-gay-bar-rugby/

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Well "Sir" Steve you though the new brand would increase media attention,  you were right - absolute genius.....

Like they say all publicity is good publicity. Even if the club will be seen as a laughing stock in the short term. It's in the national papers can't be long before it goes international.... it may already have!

Has he pulled a masterstroke time will tell :)

personally I find it hilarious as I am not a rugby fan. But it's one of the reasons I won't enter AG while he owns the club,  I've never like the way he has run BCFC and I am disliking what he is doing wit Bristol Sport.. But I saw this type of stuff coming years ago.

I see Gloucester are wearing a pink shirt for their European games this year. In a rugby-mad town like Gloucester, I think this proves just how different the culture towards identity and brand is in rugby compared to football. I’m not sure how well it’s been received, but no one (Tan aside) would even dare suggest it in football, let alone implement it. Which is why I suspect the Bears rebrand isnt as outrageous as we might think with our football-centric perspective.

• Admin
On 21/04/2018 at 11:52, ChippenhamRed said:

I see Gloucester are wearing a pink shirt for their European games this year. In a rugby-mad town like Gloucester, I think this proves just how different the culture towards identity and brand is in rugby compared to football. I’m not sure how well it’s been received, but no one (Tan aside) would even dare suggest it in football, let alone implement it. Which is why I suspect the Bears rebrand isnt as outrageous as we might think with our football-centric perspective.

@ChippenhamRed luckilly not as bad as this shade

image.jpeg

Image result for gloucester rugby pink kit

• Admin
1 hour ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Still receiving emails from 'Bristol Rugby' with Bristol Rugby branding and barely any mention of the new 'Bears' name. Any ideas if this is being reversed now, or is the officials overall rebrand, email communications included, yet to be done?

Not changing until 1st June - until then they are still plain old Bristol

Archived