IGNORED

Bristol Bears - Rebrand ! (Merged)

cheshire_red

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I thought when he spoke on the pitch on Friday, a ‘we want not just you fans who have been loyal this season but twice as many of you’ type speech. I thought, fat chance we rarely get a sell out for football. 

And City have the potential to attract fans from wider areas in other counties without football league teams (at least in theory). There are plenty of pro rugby outfits in the South West for Bristol to compete with. I just can't see it happening, especially after pissing people off with the kick off times and bizarre rebranding.

36 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought when he spoke on the pitch on Friday, a ‘we want not just you fans who have been loyal this season but twice as many of you’ type speech. I thought, fat chance we rarely get a sell out for football. 

Yep and changing our name to being a Bear, or anything else for that matter, isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference! 

They could have gone with something with at least a small association with Bristol

With our long and proud Aircraft industry something like

Bristol Bulldogs

Bulldog-1a.jpg

bird / plane related

Bristol Condors

Bristol Jets.... oops already in use

There was a thread on the football forum questioning Job Lansdown, which people took as an attach at Lansdown senior. 

I thought the post was right to ask just what credentials Jon Lansdown has to run a football club. 

But the point is it really doesn’t matter, as ultimately they are all Stevens project and can do what he likes with them. 

The football club will not achieve his goals by following the plan he has, but what are you going to do.

They are his toys, all of them.

I’m still not convinced this is as big a deal for the rugby contingent as it would be for us.

The Rugby Premiership is full of nickname suffixes, many of which have been added in recent years. As @Kid in the Riot  said earlier, the reaction from the Bristol fans has not been overwhelmingly negative as it would be for us.

I asked a couple of rugby fan mates at work; they were ambivalent and thought that most rugby fans wouldn’t be bothered. Another friend said he thinks rugby in general is trying to disassociate itself with its elitist image, and this is part of that. 

My impression is that rugby fans are less tribal and less emotionally attached to their club than football fans. I say that in broad terms as I understand some Bristol fans will be more bothered than others.

As an aside I actually really like the branding, but fully appreciate why some supporters will be upset by this move.

The Russians have clearly been tapping the Bristol Sport phone lines and have pre-empted this revolutionary rebranding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43783325

"Footage of a bear performing in front of fans before a Russian league match has been condemned as "shocking and inhumane" by animal welfare groups.

A YouTube video showed circus bear 'Tim' hand the ball to the referee before the third-tier game between Mashuk-KMV and Angusht in Pyatigorsk.

The bear is then seen clapping to fans while stood on his hind legs."

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wait and see if it's true about league rule being about having to have an added name, if Gloucester are adding one, wait and see for Bath. Not much choice if they were told they had to. 

Some people are desperate to stick the knife into Bristol Sport at any opportunity; this looks to me like a broader move in the game of rugby in general.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If it's a League rule, then I guess we need a name- time will tell.

Pretty bang average name though.

And even then it could have been communicated to the fans better and suggestions could have been asked for. Ultimately we may still have ended up with the Lansdown Family choice, but it would have at least felt a bit of the Togetherness they are spouting.

I thought Bristol Bulldogs sounded familiar, a name suggested a few posts ago. It was the speedway team which I thought had long gone. A quick google says the group are still strong and are actively trying to secure a site to bring speedway back to Bristol, they have Bristol Bulldogs social media pretty covered too and have the rights to use the name. We were never going to be Bulldogs in that case...unless Steve likes speedway!

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're wrong. Pearce, bless him a well intentioned fellow, did nothing but keep the wolf from the door.

His intervention bought a shambolically run club a bit more time before the inevitable happened - relegation, a team stripped of its talent, forced to start again with a bunch of youngsters. Unbelievably this scenario was allowed to happen a second time before "the White Knight" "rescued" the club from a third, potentially fatal, implosion in the professional era.

As for the "Bears" - a total uckingf travesty

Pearce intervened after Bristol were relegated in 1998 not before as you suggest. He saved the club from extinction...and this report (especially the last paragraph) suggests he did more than ‘keep the wolf from the door’..

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/15350515/bristol-shoguns-premiership-warpath

Anyway, at least we agree that the rebrand is a disgrace!

If I remember correctly, we were told the reason we have a version of the Bristol crest on our shirts and paper letter heads, is it would be more marketable and look more professional and be would taken more seriously than a Robin logo.  I don’t agree but I don’t make the decisions.  But, with that in mind, I do find it strange they think the opposite should apply to the rugby club, and remove the Bristol crest and replace it with a bear logo.

16 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought Bristol Bulldogs sounded familiar, a name suggested a few posts ago. It was the speedway team which I thought had long gone. A quick google says the group are still strong and are actively trying to secure a site to bring speedway back to Bristol, they have Bristol Bulldogs social media pretty covered too and have the rights to use the name. We were never going to be Bulldogs in that case...unless Steve likes speedway!

I believe Steve owns a piece of land that would lend itself perfectly to a bit if motor cycle sport. A nice circuit around a little used, virtually forgotten/abandoned village green not far from the City Centre would be very popular. Picnickers, Spectators etc etc would have a lovely 360° central vantage point, while riders entertain them with breath taking man and machine derring-do.

Get a couple of porta loos from Swindon fc and a tent or two from the Gas and the jobs a good in ... Perfect for a pop-up scrambling/moto cross events on weekend race days. 

Steve should get a planning application in. 

18 hours ago, hodge said:

Wait and see if it's true about league rule being about having to have an added name, if Gloucester are adding one, wait and see for Bath. Not much choice if they were told they had to. 

Glos have said this won't happen. Thankfully as I'm as much a Glos fan as a City one. However the former are changing the badge, which is lees of a problem especially given it was only changed before in about 2006 (and then because it was a badge shared with the city of Glos so couldn't be used in marketing etc). Despite that as a rugby fan I still think it's pretty appalling for SL to change Bristol's name.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pearce intervened after Bristol were relegated in 1998 not before as you suggest. He saved the club from extinction...and this report (especially the last paragraph) suggests he did more than ‘keep the wolf from the door’..

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/15350515/bristol-shoguns-premiership-warpath

Anyway, at least we agree that the rebrand is a disgrace!

I was referring to the relegation of 2002/03, followed by the one in 2008/09, the subsequent play-off failures and 7 year exile in a pub league.

I'd forgotten all about the relegation of 1997/98!

So many cock-ups it's hard to keep track.

21 minutes ago, Super said:

What a non story. So what if the Bristol Bear Bar is a Gay bar.

Oh come on, politically correct or not, you and I both know if the Gas lot had rebranded and this was the result we would be ripping them to shreads. 

Seriously, did no one google Bristol Bear before the deal was rubber stamped, no one? Staggering if so.

Archived