IGNORED

AdamB/Beanhead made redundant

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, big p said:

But do people really want it,with attendances increasing every year I personally think the majority of people don't really care.No disrespect to Adam Baker but if you ask people on match day if they know who he is ,my guess would be a fair few won't.

There’s plenty of staff who have left over the years, like James Healey and Mark Perrow, who got a mention in passing in a matchday thread. This has 14 pages and is still going. If they forced redundancy on one of the kids behind the till in the Sports Bar do you think anyone would care?

38 minutes ago, hodge said:

He said I now want to spend time with my family, not I wanted time to spend with my family. Wording is such that it's a case of he no longer has his role so that's what he wants to do. Not that he left his role so that he could do that. Given it's from AB and his role it would have been worded exact.

You choose to read it like that. I think he is saying he has chosen to leave and now wants to spend time with his family. Respect to him for choosing to do so

6 minutes ago, big p said:

But do people really want it,with attendances increasing every year I personally think the majority of people don't really care.No disrespect to Adam Baker but if you ask people on match day if they know who he is ,my guess would be a fair few won't.

to be treated like fans and not cash cows,

to be treated with respect and not contempt,

To be told the truth and not spin, 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You choose to read it like that. I think he is saying he has chosen to leave and now wants to spend time with his family. Respect to him for choosing to do so

:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You’re telling me in an article which lies about why Adam left the club they wouldn’t make up quotes (which is fairly common in press releases) to go with it.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Tom when I lived with Joe his business cards were under Ashton Gate Ltd I would assume the rest of the media team all had the same contracts, I don't think the staff contracts were ever under Bristol City FC. Probably to keep staff overheads off the football club's finances, Maybe? 

I believe if they have a bcfc email address they are employed by bcfc, if they have a Bristol Sport one they are under that part of the organisation, same with all the other parts. If anyone knows Adams (old) email address then there’s your answer. 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

to be treated like fans and not cash cows,

to be treated with respect and not contempt,

To be told the truth and not spin, 

The thing is the guy has spent over £100m on the club,I think it's kind of naive of people to think he's going to keep spending ,or god forbid want some of it back.

Most successful clubs are built this way so I guess it's a case for the fans  wether they're in or out.At the moment with attendances on the rise it looks like the majority are in.

34 minutes ago, big p said:

The thing is the guy has spent over £100m on the club,I think it's kind of naive of people to think he's going to keep spending ,or god forbid want some of it back.

Most successful clubs are built this way so I guess it's a case for the fans  wether they're in or out.At the moment with attendances on the rise it looks like the majority are in.

whats spending got to do with treating fans with respcet and not cash cows, I haven't even brought spending into it,

I'm probability lansdowns biggest defender on this forum and been called a happy clapper more then once,

But when you get the likes of @RedM @Septic Peg and @Dollymarie saying something is wrong then you ave to sit up and take notice as those posters just don't have it in them to be negative for negative sake,

Somthing stinks at the club and it isn't coming from the owner its more from the COO area of the club, a man who takes all the praise but disappears when things don't work out,

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

whats spending got to do with treating fans with respcet and not cash cows, I haven't even brought spending into it,

I'm probability lansdowns biggest defender on this forum and been called a happy clapper more then once,

But when you get the likes of @RedM @Septic Peg and @Dollymarie saying something is wrong then you ave to sit up and take notice as those posters just don't have it in them to be negative for negative sake,

Somthing stinks at the club and it isn't coming from the owner its more from the COO area of the club, a man who takes all the praise but disappears when things don't work out,

Ok,so what do you suggest everyone do?

I don't think anonymously calling someone out on a forum which represents the minority of fans will make a difference.Do you?

1 hour ago, big p said:

So it's ok to treat people like sh!t as long as no one knows about it and the money rolls in?

4 minutes ago, big p said:

Ok,so what do you suggest everyone do?

I don't think anonymously calling someone out on a forum which represents the minority of fans will make a difference.Do you?

treating fans with respect for a start,

don't alienate sections of the fan base as they don't fit in with the corporate take on things is another 

don't treat fans like idiots

Don't abandon FAN because its an inconvenience as they actually hold senior members of the club to account 

Can someone fill in some blanks for me, maybe @Dollymarie ?

It’s always sad when a good person loses their job - maybe Adam walked, maybe he was pushed, we’ll likely never know, especially after his statement. I think we can read between the lines.

But regardless, if it’s a genuine part of restructuring, fair enough, that’s life, that’s business, BCFC isn’t a charity, right? 

So are people sad and angry because Adam, a lifelong City man, lost his job at the club? That a friend of theirs is no longer around and the club have made, on paper, the link between the club and fans further apart? 

Because the phrases like rotten to, or at, the core, something seriously stinks etc have been used. I’m genuinely interested to hear exactly what else has happened or is going on, to justify that phrase?

Because to me, rotten at the core, is things like companies owned by the Oyston family receiving a one off payment of £11m and £24m in interest free loans while the managers and players awaited promotion bonuses.

OK a good fan, who on the surface was good at his job, got sacked, that’s a shame. People disagree with that decision. But as far as I can see, the owners are still putting money into the club, stadium, training ground, youth, backing the manager. Not taking it out. If that is happening, or anything else along these underhand lines, then I’d be happy to believe the club is rotten at the core?

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Can someone fill in some blanks for me, maybe @Dollymarie ?

It’s always sad when a good person loses their job - maybe Adam walked, maybe he was pushed, we’ll likely never know, especially after his statement. I think we can read between the lines.

But regardless, if it’s a genuine part of restructuring, fair enough, that’s life, that’s business, BCFC isn’t a charity, right? 

So are people sad and angry because Adam, a lifelong City man, lost his job at the club? That a friend of theirs is no longer around and the club have made, on paper, the link between the club and fans further apart? 

Because the phrases like rotten to, or at, the core, something seriously stinks etc have been used. I’m genuinely interested to hear exactly what else has happened or is going on, to justify that phrase?

Because to me, rotten at the core, is things like companies owned by the Oyston family receiving a one off payment of £11m and £24m in interest free loans while the managers and players awaited promotion bonuses.

OK a good fan, who on the surface was good at his job, got sacked, that’s a shame. People disagree with that decision. But as far as I can see, the owners are still putting money into the club, stadium, training ground, youth, backing the manager. Not taking it out. If that is happening, or anything else along these underhand lines, then I’d be happy to believe the club is rotten at the core?

I completely agree.

So now there has been a statement from the club and it appears he has in fact simply wanted a change its probably time to stop all the speculation and running down of the club and those who remain at it. The guy has said he wants to spend time with his family and has obviously had enough of the demands that the job required. 

There are ways of putting out a statement to confirm someone's departure in a much more clinical way than has been done here. This looks to be a genuine heartfelt statement from the man himself. 

17 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Do you know 100% for a fact that he was sacked / made redundant? 

Source? 

Has anyone stopped to consider that Adam was hanging on for redundancy? My wife has been looking at leaving her job for ages, she really does want to spend more time with her family (well our 1st grandchild mainly, but I am sure the rest of us will get a look in :) ). But there has been a takeover at work, changes in work practices etc (much like Adam) and she is hearing rumours of redundancies, which after 17 years could be lucrative. I don't think it takes much imagination to see the same thing here, company moves into using social media and try as he might AB doesn't get on with it like some of the younger employees and so on, knows the club are looking to streamline roles across their areas of mutual interest, so he hangs on to see if he gets offered anything nice to go.

17 hours ago, Big C said:

To be honest it’s quite funny on here sometimes

OTIB demands explanation for Adam Baker leaving

an explanation is posted

OTIB doesn’t believe explanation for Adam Baker leaving.

Promotions within the club, players staying at the club, coaching roles for some at the end of their career... "soft, comfortable City, bad bad bad"

Club moves employees on to bring in fresh new blood and energise the place, "ruthless management with no place for loyalty, bad bad bad"

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why not, I did that.  28 years in the same company, frustrated by my job, never gonna get selected for redundancy, working for a “Head of" who I had no respect for.  I knew 10 months before I left when I was going to resign.  My “Head of” was effectively undemining my skill set.  I spent those months building contacts, but on the day I resigned I had no job to go to (with at the time a 10 and 7 year old).  Being under notice I became attractive to other companies, because they knew I'd be available shortly and they could make an approach without me wasting their time.

3 weeks into my notice I got a contract, signed and started a week later.

Adam may have been forced out more aggressively than I was, but he may also have gone without a pay-off.  He may have been spending months sounding out other opportunities.  He might have felt he’d never get a redundancy pay-off in a job that he no longer enjoyed, or for a company he’d lost faith in, trying to remain professional in a job where you’re at the forefront of the club.

Dolly will know the score.  She knows it’s been a stitch up.

I think this probably hits the right note: some voluntary redundancies are more voluntary than others!

I don't publicly slag off my ex-employer.  If you meet me down the pub.... well, that's different  ;)

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I just read the Adam baker statement again. Really don't understand why people don't believe him that he is leaving to spend more time with his family. Nothing in the statement makes it look like anything other than that. 

Well, it's very a carefully and somewhat vaguely worded statement and, in my view (and I've had a settlement agreement myself), consistent with the club having agreed terms under which Adam would leave his post.  Things like "I now want the chance to spend time with" his family, and taking time to consider career opportunities (which is something a pay-off would allow him to do, plus suggests he's not planning to stay home that long).

This is pure speculation, but it seems to fit, and would also explain both the delay in any announcement or statement of any kind, and the careful wording when a statement was issued (which I'm guessing would have been agreed between the parties) 

Archived