IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That isn't the important bit though.

If the referee has determined Ronaldo was trying to strike the player with his arm/elbow then it is a red card, regardless of if it made contact or where contact is made.

Striking out at a player is violent conduct, a red card offense.

Fine line between striking out and tussling to get in front. I’m not certain of which it was.

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm falling in love with this world cup! 

To think I was so not interested in the run up to it. I've hardly missed a game.

Same. Russia didn’t sound like a classic host, with a lot of fans not travelling I thought the stadiums might be half empty and the atmosphere lacking. But it’s been great so far and with England looking promising there is certainly more to come.

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.

Uruguay are very much a defense first side- same as what Portugal used to win the Euros.

But, if one gets wound up then it will be chaos.

Uruguay can go through the gears- they've got the players and young enough ones at that to play more expansive game- been in second gear most of the group stage I'd suggest.

Played a 4-3-1-2 instead of a traditional 4-4-2 and it gave them more control and threat. They scored v Saudi Arabia and coasted, bit stodgy v Egypt but got there in the end.

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I'm falling in love with this world cup! 

To think I was so not interested in the run up to it. I've hardly missed a game.

I think I'm drifting the other way although still watching most of the games. The antics of so many of the players in tonight's game on both sides were absolutely shameful and compounded by yet another woeful display of refereeing. Can't see it mentioned on here but Quaresma should be banned for the rest of the tournament for feigning a strike to the face and rolling around for an age. Unsporting behaviour that was typical of the whole game.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Same. Russia didn’t sound like a classic host, with a lot of fans not travelling I thought the stadiums might be half empty and the atmosphere lacking. But it’s been great so far and with England looking promising there is certainly more to come.

Back in Dublin for a few days before heading to Kaliningrad: I must say I had a brilliant week in Volgograd and Nihzny: couldn't fault the organisation, the people, or the welcome. I agree there are very good reasons to not be supportive of Russia hosting the World Cup, but their men and women on the ground were great. Shame I didn't get to meet up with a couple off here, but always next time.

43 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It wasnt a block by the Iran defender though.

He had lost balance and was falling backwards.

Ronaldo swang his arm out, normal speed and slow motion.

He knew it as well, which is why he had such a guilty look on his face when the ref was VARing. It was the face of someone who knew their misdemeanor had been spotted.

They were chasing a ball how do you go from running to falling backwards? It is because he tried to block the run of Ronaldo putting pressure on his keeper. You see it every game Ronaldo made contact unfortuneately. It was intentional it was nothing made into something because the Iranian player made a meal of it like every player on both teams did. It was a farce of a match in general amd the ref probably got every VAR decision wrong. 

Sorry mate we just won’t agree on this one. Think it is Ronaldo bias because many don’t like him. Yellow card? Hmm maybe. Foul? Yes Red? Never 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

They were chasing a ball how do you go from running to falling backwards? It is because he tried to block the run of Ronaldo putting pressure on his keeper. You see it every game Ronaldo made contact unfortuneately. It was intentional it was nothing made into something because the Iranian player made a meal of it like every player on both teams did. It was a farce of a match in general amd the ref probably got every VAR decision wrong. 

Sorry mate we just won’t agree on this one. Think it is Ronaldo bias because many don’t like him. Yellow card? Hmm maybe. Foul? Yes Red? Never 

I think you need to watch it again.

Iranian player is trying to change direction, but look at his feet, quite clearly off balance as he moves back.

Happy to say agree to disagree though.

2 hours ago, marshy said:

I think I'm drifting the other way although still watching most of the games. The antics of so many of the players in tonight's game on both sides were absolutely shameful and compounded by yet another woeful display of refereeing. Can't see it mentioned on here but Quaresma should be banned for the rest of the tournament for feigning a strike to the face and rolling around for an age. Unsporting behaviour that was typical of the whole game.

Instead of fanning around with VAR and getting things wrong, or missing clear cut decisions ( e.g. Kane) at least use it for something worthwhile by reviewing shameful gamesmanship like this. Bookings/red cards would quickly bring the issue under control.

When I was playing ( albeit in the stone ages) if you were hurt in a tackle, the one thing you don't do was roll around - you stayed pretty still. I can;t understand how players can be holding a part of their anatomy in apparent agony, when slo-mo replays show the point of contact was a completely different part of the body! 

I can't believe the nativity of match officials continually being conned by players ad can only conclude that top level refs have never played that game at any decent level or they would understand how players think and the "tricks" they get up to.

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Instead of fanning around with VAR and getting things wrong, or missing clear cut decisions ( e.g. Kane) at least use it for something worthwhile by reviewing shameful gamesmanship like this. Bookings/red cards would quickly bring the issue under control.

When I was playing ( albeit in the stone ages) if you were hurt in a tackle, the one thing you don't do was roll around - you stayed pretty still. I can;t understand how players can be holding a part of their anatomy in apparent agony, when slo-mo replays show the point of contact was a completely different part of the body! 

I can't believe the nativity of match officials continually being conned by players ad can only conclude that top level refs have never played that game at any decent level or they would understand how players think and the "tricks" they get up to.

Absolutely agree, the video evidence is there let’s use it and like you say if players know it’s going to be watched less likely to feign injuiry. 

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

We really need three wise men to put an end to to match official's nativity !

:laughcont:

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We really need three wise men to put an end to to match official's nativity !

Productive typing is a grate derailment, don't you drink Majority?

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Just seen the Ronaldo penalty decision **** me Ronaldo was half way to the floor when there was contact.

Yup. He anticipated contact (that never came). As we know, in the Prem League it is perfectly acceptable to throw yourself to the floor if there is a chance that an opponent might touch you, clearly this is now extended to the World Cup.  Because he was going horizontal from his dive, he collided with the legs of the inrushing defender. Was definitely on his way to the floor after not being touched before the actual contact. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That's no excise , yet should always change your position before posting.

:yes:

absolution, but on this occasional table I'd bean panting and wallflowering all day and was completed shuttered so my consecration wasn't what it shuddered hav e been.

Just arrived in Kaliningrad on a flight from Moscow. In the boarding queue at Domodedovo I overheard a British tabloid journalist (who’s on his second visit here during the World Cup) describe Kaliningrad as ‘like Stoke but without the fun’.

Still trying to work out the best strategy for the last 16. Flights to Rostov (where we play if we win the group) are reasonably priced at the moment, but will shoot up in price (and then sell out altogether) within minutes of the final whistle on Thursday if we win the group. It’s also not helped by the fact that the fans of whoever finishes second in group H will have a 4 hour head start over the winners of our group when it comes to booking travel to Rostov. 

Life would be considerably easier and cheaper if we finish second in our group and then play in Moscow in the last 16. 

18 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Just arrived in Kaliningrad on a flight from Moscow. In the boarding queue at Domodedovo I overheard a British tabloid journalist (who’s on his second visit here during the World Cup) describe Kaliningrad as ‘like Stoke but without the fun’.

Still trying to work out the best strategy for the last 16. Flights to Rostov (where we play if we win the group) are reasonably priced at the moment, but will shoot up in price (and then sell out altogether) within minutes of the final whistle on Thursday if we win the group. It’s also not helped by the fact that the fans of whoever finishes second in group H will have a 4 hour head start over the winners of our group when it comes to booking travel to Rostov. 

Life would be considerably easier and cheaper if we finish second in our group and then play in Moscow in the last 16. 

Send a message to a Mr. G. Southgate to see if he can help you out in that regard.

24 minutes ago, North London Red said:

If I recall, the knock-out path for finishing 2nd is Moscow > Samara > Moscow > Moscow. Certainly easier logistics.

25 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Just arrived in Kaliningrad on a flight from Moscow. In the boarding queue at Domodedovo I overheard a British tabloid journalist (who’s on his second visit here during the World Cup) describe Kaliningrad as ‘like Stoke but without the fun’.. 

I always describe Stoke as "like Basra but with shell suits", so Kaliningrad must really be special!

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I always describe Stoke as "like Basra but with shell suits", so Kaliningrad must really be special!

This article makes it sound idyllic. I am regretting our travel plans that leave us < 24 hours in the city.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gqwayy/the-forgotten-russian-enclave-of-kaliningrad

39 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

This article makes it sound idyllic. I am regretting our travel plans that leave us < 24 hours in the city.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gqwayy/the-forgotten-russian-enclave-of-kaliningrad

Ouch!

I’m staying in Zelenogradsk on the Baltic coast and it seems pleasant enough on first viewing. Will explore Kaliningrad city properly tomorrow and on Thursday to see if it’s as bad as that article (and the Sun journalist at Domodedovo) would suggest. 

Archived