IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

So England vs Spain Semi Final and we'll get our first penalty loss against them this year?

Haha.

We will do very well indeed to get to that stage, and that is not quite what I was visualising! More Stuart Pearce punching the air...

Nonetheless, enough scar tissue not to cry to many tears for Germany, Argentina and Portugal.

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yep, much too young to have seen Garrincha, but seen clips of his play.

What he overcame to play at the top level though gives him the edge for me, deformed spine, legs that were bent different ways.

I think, at least in modern times, he is a forgotten Brazillian great.

Am aware of Puskas as an incredible forward (nearly a goal per game over his career!) but know little other than his extraordinary strike rate.

Hidegkuti is a new name to me though.

On topic, great finish Cavani for 2-1.

Hungary in the 1950s were great innovators. Hidegkuti played as a deep lying centre forward, which utterly confused England in 1953. Hungary won 6-3 at Wembley and Hidegkuti scored a hat trick. That game almost single handedly demolished England’s belief that we led the world in football. Puskas pulled the strings as midfielder/inside forward and was one of the reasons Real Madrid won five consecutive European Cups.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Hungary in the 1950s were great innovators. Hidegkuti played as a deep lying centre forward, which utterly confused England in 1953. Hungary won 6-3 at Wembley and Hidegkuti scored a hat trick. That game almost single handedly demolished England’s belief that we led the world in football. Puskas pulled the strings as midfielder/inside forward and was one of the reasons Real Madrid won five consecutive European Cups.

Have read about that game (as in that it happened, not the events of the game itself)

It's a bit sad really that such good players of the past do get forgotten.

I suspect theres many football fans my age who have never heard of Garrincha or Puskas- I only heard of Garrincha because of some stuff my Dad showed me when I was younger- and it's probably only going to be another 20 ish years until there's kids growing up having not heard of Maradona (actually, probably unlikely in England as we'll probably still moan about his cheating for the 'Hand of God').

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Have read about that game (as in that it happened, not the events of the game itself)

I suspect theres many football fans my age who have never heard of Garrincha or Puskas- I only heard of Garrincha because of some stuff my Dad showed me when I was younger- and it's probably only going to be another 20 ish years until there's kids growing up having not heard of Maradona (actually, probably unlikely in England as we'll probably still moan about his cheating for the 'Hand of God').

I remember learning about the Brazil 1970 squad, and being absolutely obsessed with them when I was a kid. I was always Jairzinho when I was in the park.

I think people that really love football always go back and look at former players. You just have to look at the way Atyeo is revered here.

1 minute ago, North London Red said:

Stat of the day: Emile Heskey has scored more goals in the knockout stages of the World Cup than Ronaldo and Messi combined. 

Second Stat of the day: John Stones has scored as many goals at this world cup as the nation of Germany. Prolific.

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Well, inevitably we all concentrate on our own generation or the  immediately previous. Being 62, I remember the 1966 World Cup but not Puskas. However, when I was growing up, the “best ever” discussions tended to involve Garrincha, Pele, Puskas, Stan Matthews and so on. But people rarely mentioned Alex James, the big Arsenal star of the 1930s when they dominated English football.

24 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Well, inevitably we all concentrate on our own generation or the  immediately previous. Being 62, I remember the 1966 World Cup but not Puskas. However, when I was growing up, the “best ever” discussions tended to involve Garrincha, Pele, Puskas, Stan Matthews and so on. But people rarely mentioned Alex James, the big Arsenal star of the 1930s when they dominated English football.

You're my generation L and in 1966 I vaguely remember Pele being butchered and carried off to end his World Cup. I also remeber Rattin the Argentinan hatchet man getting sent off against England. It was unheard of back then to get dismissed.

The World Cup I remember best was Mexico in 1970 when England as Champions were subjected to all sorts of antics to disrupt us. Bobby Moore accused of theft, Banks  getting food poisoning and being unable to play....

The star players then were largely the magnificent Bazilians. Pele and Jaizinho were brilliant. Banks made that brilliant save and Geoff Astle missed a sitter.....

In the final Carlos Alberto  scored the greatest team goal voted the best ever  to finish off the Italians with the fourth goal.

Ah......nostalgia's not what it used to be..............:disapointed2se:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

You're my generation L and in 1966 I vaguely remember Pele being butchered and carried off to end his World Cup. I also remeber Rattin the Argentinan hatchet man getting sent off against England. It was unheard of back then to get dismissed.

The World Cup I remember best was Mexico in 1970 when England as Champions were subjected to all sorts of antics to disrupt us. Bobby Moore accused of theft, Banks  getting food poisoning and being unable to play....

The star players then were largely the magnificent Bazilians. Pele and Jaizinho were brilliant. Banks made that brilliant save and Geoff Astle missed a sitter.....

In the final Carlos Alberto  scored the greatest team goal voted the best ever  to finish off the Italians with the fourth goal.

My 1970 Brazilian fave was actually Roberto Rivelino.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have to say there were echoes of that great goal in France’s 4th today if you saw it.

It all went wrong for 50 years when Ramsey subbed Charlton with twenty to go, two nil up against West Germany to keep him fresh for the next round. That and Bonetti of course. Never know of course, but fancy we would have got to the final again, and would have got closer than Italy. 

I am still salty about it.

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

My 1970 Brazilian fave was actually Roberto Rivelino.

Jairzinho and Tostao were mine and Clodoaldo who beat the four Italians to start the move that led to greatest goal ever scored!

Jairzinho scored in every round as well - it's amazing what you can recal from almost 50 years ago.........

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Have to say there were echoes of that great goal in France’s 4th today if you saw it.

It all went wrong for 50 years when Ramsey subbed Charlton with twenty to go, two nil up against West Germany to keep him fresh for the next round. That and Bonetti of course. Never know of course, but fancy we would have got to the final again, and would have got closer than Italy. 

I am still salty about it.

I did see it and the similarities were mentioned in commentary largely because of the lay off to enable the attacking right back to score as Pele did for Alberto Carlos.

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That old chestnut will always arise until he grabs a game by the scruff of the neck in a international side like maradona and dare I say pretty boy Ronaldo does 

He did it only about 6 months ago in Argentina’s last qualifying game!! 

Best player I’ve ever seen, best player that plays for the rest of the team I’ve ever seen, best dribbler, best passer..........the list goes on. 

On the Messi/Ronaldo thing - I don’t see one as better than the other. Clearly they are ahead of the rest and are the 2 best players in my lifetime (watching football since early 90s). 

I would say about 5 years ago Messi was the best but Ronaldo has been every bit as good since. To say Messi can’t win games like Ronaldo isn’t true either. 

To score 20-25 goals a season is good but these two have been doing double that every season for x years - just incredible.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

In part the lay off for sure, but also the way it is built from the back. Greatest goal ever, in a final, by arguably the greatest team ever...

France’s pretty good impersonation today...

https://streamja.com/em3N

Last teenager before Mbappe to score a couple in a World Cup game? Pele.

Last teenager to score twice at a World Cup before Mbappe? Michael Owen....

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

He did it only about 6 months ago in Argentina’s last qualifying game!! 

Best player I’ve ever seen, best player that plays for the rest of the team I’ve ever seen, best dribbler, best passer..........the list goes on. 

Best penalty taker,is he really the best passer of a football you have ever seen,will give you he’s right up there with maradona for dribbling tho

22 hours ago, Super said:

Says it all about the manager leaving out Aguero and picking Di Maria.

You have to be shitting me at this point? Do you understand anything about systems within football? One plays wide and one plays up front. Not competing with one another. HTH.

9 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

You have to be shitting me at this point? Do you understand anything about systems within football? One plays wide and one plays up front. Not competing with one another. HTH.

Where did i say Di Maria was picked instead of Aguero? 

Archived