IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

In future years that 4-3 game will be regarded by some as a classic. Given some of the wrestling moves in it though, I won't regard it as a classic.

Good to see fans safely standing, singing & chanting behind both goals.

Looking at foreign news stations, the comment "How can this be the World Cup? Italy aren't taking part"came up!

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

What? Why?

Lack of team ethic for almost the entirety of his career. High goalscoring rate due to his ludicrously high shotrate. Admittedly a fantastic athlete and (generally) good under pressure. I'm sure he would come top of many lists, but my personal preferred players possess qualities that he has ignored for much of his career.

He is often very near the top of goalscoring charts because he always, always shoots, and misses a lot. He scored that amazing bicycle kick, sure, but he tries that in almost any game he gets a chance in. Messi manages to stay very close to, or ahead of him consistently in goalscoring, but also scores very highly in assists, meaning he's just more clinical and more well-rounded as a footballer.

Ronaldo will very often go for personal glory when it's inadvisable. Messi always makes the decision that means a goal is most likely - if that means going on by himself, that's what he does. That cross he made for Aguero today - perfect. Ronaldo could probably make that cross, sure, but he'd almost never choose to do so.

Messi is not only one of the best finishers of all time, he is the best dribbler (at the least on a par with Maradona), one of the best passers, and one of the best (by which I mean consistent) set piece takers too. It's pretty undeniable. Ronaldo is probably one of the best headers of the ball ever, and one of the fastest. You could also argue for setpieces, but he's more wasteful. He's a very good dribbler, but Messi is even better, impossible to get the ball off. 

Ronaldo is petty, petulant and sulky when he's not getting the ball. He always tries to make it about himself - that's not what football's about. I respect other people's opinion, and they might completely disagree, but I could never put someone with that type of mindset high up in rankings of the best footballers ever.

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Who would,obviously maradona would with that Argentina side he won the World Cup,Messi without ineista or xavi behind him in that fabulous Barcelona team shows that he isn’t all that 

Messi dragged Barcelona to an almost unbeaten La Liga title win this season, for the first half of the season that was almost completely his own doing. He's most definitely "all that". The fact that Messi hasn't managed to win a World Cup (by the way, he dragged them to the final in 2014) with a poor Argentina side does not discount him from being the greatest player in history. 

The other players I would put there are personal choices - the best players I think I've ever seen - so I'm not claiming that they've had a bigger impact on the world stage, just who I thought were complete footballers when I saw them play.

Zidane

Xavi/Iniesta (tough to choose one, would probably go for Iniesta due to his World Cup winning goal, since that's what people for some reason seem to value)

Brazilian Ronaldo

Henry

Ronaldinho

Are these players all "better" than Ronaldo? Possibly not, but I consider them better team players, revolutionised the role they played, and didn't try and create a cult of personality around them. These players made the game a joy to watch - I find it tricky to enjoy even a decent Ronaldo performance.

Again, personal opinion. Not claiming I'm right. I'll just always view Messi's contribution on a football pitch as more complete than Ronaldo's.

tl;dr My initials are LM, I share a birthday with Messi, and I'm also left-footed like him. :P So, with that said, I am also biased. Oh, and winking to get Rooney sent off. Still not forgiving him for that.

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That old chestnut will always arise until he grabs a game by the scruff of the neck in a international side like maradona and dare I say pretty boy Ronaldo does 

I agree he was shit in this tournament, but pretty boy Ronaldo rarely grabs Portugal games by the scruff of the neck. Even that hattrick against Spain included a penalty and a goalie howler. Btw, Ronaldo has one more WC goal than Messi in his career.

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Lack of team ethic for almost the entirety of his career. High goalscoring rate due to his ludicrously high shotrate. Admittedly a fantastic athlete and (generally) good under pressure. I'm sure he would come top of many lists, but my personal preferred players possess qualities that he has ignored for much of his career.

He is often very near the top of goalscoring charts because he always, always shoots, and misses a lot. He scored that amazing bicycle kick, sure, but he tries that in almost any game he gets a chance in. Messi manages to stay very close to, or ahead of him consistently in goalscoring, but also scores very highly in assists, meaning he's just more clinical and more well-rounded as a footballer.

Ronaldo will very often go for personal glory when it's inadvisable. Messi always makes the decision that means a goal is most likely - if that means going on by himself, that's what he does. That cross he made for Aguero today - perfect. Ronaldo could probably make that cross, sure, but he'd almost never choose to do so.

Messi is not only one of the best finishers of all time, he is the best dribbler (at the least on a par with Maradona), one of the best passers, and one of the best (by which I mean consistent) set piece takers too. It's pretty undeniable. Ronaldo is probably one of the best headers of the ball ever, and one of the fastest. You could also argue for setpieces, but he's more wasteful. He's a very good dribbler, but Messi is even better, impossible to get the ball off. 

Ronaldo is petty, petulant and sulky when he's not getting the ball. He always tries to make it about himself - that's not what football's about. I respect other people's opinion, and they might completely disagree, but I could never put someone with that type of mindset high up in rankings of the best footballers ever.

Messi dragged Barcelona to an almost unbeaten La Liga title win this season, for the first half of the season that was almost completely his own doing. He's most definitely "all that". The fact that Messi hasn't managed to win a World Cup (by the way, he dragged them to the final in 2014) with a poor Argentina side does not discount him from being the greatest player in history. 

The other players I would put there are personal choices - the best players I think I've ever seen - so I'm not claiming that they've had a bigger impact on the world stage, just who I thought were complete footballers when I saw them play.

Zidane

Xavi/Iniesta (tough to choose one, would probably go for Iniesta due to his World Cup winning goal, since that's what people for some reason seem to value)

Brazilian Ronaldo

Henry

Ronaldinho

Are these players all "better" than Ronaldo? Possibly not, but I consider them better team players, revolutionised the role they played, and didn't try and create a cult of personality around them. These players made the game a joy to watch - I find it tricky to enjoy even a decent Ronaldo performance.

Again, personal opinion. Not claiming I'm right. I'll just always view Messi's contribution on a football pitch as more complete than Ronaldo's.

tl;dr My initials are LM, I share a birthday with Messi, and I'm also left-footed like him. :P So, with that said, I am also biased. Oh, and winking to get Rooney sent off. Still not forgiving him for that.

Cmon I like la liga to watch but above the top 7(being kind) it’s a nonsense league,I get why young people are obsessed with him but to be a great you have to get involved when things are not going good on the pitch 

21 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Zidane

Brazilian Ronaldo

Henry

Ronaldinho

Garrincha.

This dude was decades ahead of his time.

Other than that, a top post.

Archived