IGNORED

Noisy Neighbours

BRISTOL86

Has anyone has any experience with dealing with noisy neighbour complaints through a council? 

There are some people a few houses away who are making our lives unbearable with blaring music, shouting and swearing in the garden pretty much anytime the weather is nice  

Imagine a boozy BBQ attended solely by people who had been captured in a big net from the Jeremy Kyle holding pen and you’ll get the drift. 

Its so bad that whenever they’re at it, we basically have to sit inside with all doors and windows shut. Our outside space is completely unusable anytime they’re out, which is upsetting given the graft and money we’ve put into making it a nice place to spend time  

You can tell just by looking and listening that they’re 100% not the sort of people who will respond in a mature/adult manner if I went round, so they are as yet unaware on my feelings on the matter (though other neighbours must also be equally annoyed). 

So....anyone dealt with anything like this through a council before? I’m keeping a log of dates and times etc as I know they’ll ask for that....but any other advice? 

21 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Has anyone has any experience with dealing with noisy neighbour complaints through a council? 

There are some people a few houses away who are making our lives unbearable with blaring music, shouting and swearing in the garden pretty much anytime the weather is nice  

Imagine a boozy BBQ attended solely by people who had been captured in a big net from the Jeremy Kyle holding pen and you’ll get the drift. 

Its so bad that whenever they’re at it, we basically have to sit inside with all doors and windows shut. Our outside space is completely unusable anytime they’re out, which is upsetting given the graft and money we’ve put into making it a nice place to spend time  

You can tell just by looking and listening that they’re 100% not the sort of people who will respond in a mature/adult manner if I went round, so they are as yet unaware on my feelings on the matter (though other neighbours must also be equally annoyed). 

So....anyone dealt with anything like this through a council before? I’m keeping a log of dates and times etc as I know they’ll ask for that....but any other advice? 

I have a very similar problem with our next door neighbour who posts house music constantly. Screams at her little brat, who has just started primary school who is outside playing on his own where she has no idea where he is. 

Its a difficult situation and to be fair I just ignore her, I think there is very little that can be done and councils have higher priorities than these type of issues 

My experience with horrendous neighbours has involved everything, but not particular noise. Him playing 1950’s music for hours on end in speakers in his garden in the summer ( or speakers pressed to my wall in winter) is the least of my problems with him, infact when he is playing his music ( which has just stopped) I at least can’t hear him and his abuse.

I have reported him for other stuff to the council, but mostly deal with the police now. My experience of the council was very poor.  They sent me a nuisance/harassment diary to keep, I think the same applies if you are reporting noise. They won’t look at anything until you have at least two weeks worth. I think you can report noise issues online now, but one of the first things they ask is have you kept a diary.

Another thing you need is neighbours input. The council were useless if you couldn’t get other neighbours to report too. In my case they are all shit scared of my neighbours from hell, they didn’t want to get on the wrong side of them so wouldn’t really help me as they didn’t want to get involved.

Have you got recordings, cctv or video is a great help. 

I dealt with three or four different council people as no one seems to stay in their jobs long before being either sick or left, very frustrating there was no continuity. You could email them things and if the person left it would all be ‘lost’. I had similar experience with the police. The council were brilliant at batting stuff back to the police as it was a criminal matter, and the police saying it was a civil matter and the council should deal with it, and I’m stuck in the middle.

Are any of the houses involved council owned or rented, this seems to be a huge help in cases like this as people can be evicted if they break their agreements. Unfortunately for me both of us are in privately owned houses, no tenancy agreements.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Quote to them that you ‘have a right to a quality of life’, that’s one of the buzz words which helps.

Thanks @RedM yes the house in question is council owned, I believe they’re relatively new tenants as we’ve never heard a peep from any of the adjacent council properties in 3 years. I’ll chat with the council in the morning if possible. I don’t think I’d have trouble finding neighbours who are equally sick of it. 

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks @RedM yes the house in question is council owned, I believe they’re relatively new tenants as we’ve never heard a peep from any of the adjacent council properties in 3 years. I’ll chat with the council in the morning if possible. I don’t think I’d have trouble finding neighbours who are equally sick of it. 

What could help you is that most social housing tenants these days are on six month probationary tenancies to begin with - purely for these sort of issues - and they are at risk of instant eviction if they misbehave during that time. In many ways, you will find things easier if they are council tenants as they will have a housing officer who will no doubt know these people better than anyone and, if truth be told, will be half expecting complaints.

What I would do initially is to contact the council`s housing department ( ignore the noise reporting/environmental health route for now) and ask to speak to the housing officer for the area - you may find other neighbours have already done this too - and let them know what`s been going on. In my experience, the HO will want to sort it out quickly as these things cause them a ton of grief further down the line if they are allowed to carry on unchecked.

Good advice above. And as I said it’s so much easier if the property is rented, whether privately or through the council. Is one of the first questions I was asked and you could hear them deflate when told the properties were private. I’m sure this will be resolved for you, whatever you do don’t let it drag on.

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Red Right Hand out of interest what could someone do if the people were living in privately rented property?

Sorry to but in, but go to the landlord/letting company if known. Many rental properties have ‘to let’ signs outside for a while so it might be a good idea to take a photo or mental note ( i’ve Not thought of this before). Maybe the council do have powers to find out if you go to them. They certainly are much more interested if it is rented property as I said, as there are agreements which have to be stuck to.

16 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Simple advice.

If you have noisy neighbours, then you are F****D.

No-one cares or will help - least of the ********* council.

Best wishes.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

@Red Right Hand out of interest what could someone do if the people were living in privately rented property?

You would go to the landlord although in practice it`s often difficult to find out who that is so you go to the letting agent. They soon get fed up with you going in/phoning and do tend to deal with it.

Also, never underestimate the power of a really negative online review. If the agent thinks they will lose business due to shit like this they will soon act.

It`s worth bearing in mind that, unlike the old days, it is much easier to evict problem social housing tenants now. The procedures have been made easier and before they could be evicted in the morning and rock up to the office in the afternoon saying they were homeless and the council had to rehouse them - all that happened was they got given an empty house somewhere else in the town, proceeded to do the same things that got them evicted, and the whole sorry cycle repeated itself for ever. Now they`re classed as intentionally homeless and the council/HA have no obligation to rehouse them. Fortunately, this information seems to be getting through to their dense brains slowly but surely and the council threatening eviction really does make them think twice these days. They know they won`t be able to rent privately due to their reputation so if they get chucked out they are ****** basically.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Oldland Common @Super

Waiting for a call from the housing company - they’ve passed my details to the officer for that property so fingers crossed they get back to me! 

What you will hopefully find is that, unlike the snowflakes at the council who are terrified of actually doing anything, your average housing officer has been doing the job long enough to be cynical and not prepared to believe all the crap and false promises that the tenants will inevitably come out with in their defence. They will also know that nipping things like this in the bud save them a mountain of work in a few months when things have escalated.

It is a truism that anyone who works in social housing spends 90% of their time on 10% of the tenants.

Just something else to throw in. I had noisy neighbours at my last house, domestics, music, the lot. I kept quiet for the simple reason that as I was a home owner, once you’ve reported them to anyone (police, council etc) you have to declare that when you come to sell the property, which could then devalue it/put people off. 

On 27/06/2018 at 19:27, BRISTOL86 said:

Feel for you. Had experience in the past. ******* music. Went round to the women . Said it wouldn’t happen again. Next night following night . My boy was about 2/3 . Started wetting the bed. She was a very disturbed bitch . I complained. But nothing. She called the police on us . You couldn’t make it up . In the end we moved on ( renting) . When we moved out I got a stereo put it on full blast on repeat. Against the wall. Hopefully it’s still playing now . I did get her back in the end but obviously won’t tell you how . 

Nothing worse  than inconsiderate neighbours. *****

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Just something else to throw in. I had noisy neighbours at my last house, domestics, music, the lot. I kept quiet for the simple reason that as I was a home owner, once you’ve reported them to anyone (police, council etc) you have to declare that when you come to sell the property, which could then devalue it/put people off. 

NB: Everyone,

Don't Buy A House From Dolly! :) 

Thanks all for the input and steer. Managed to speak to the housing officer today for the property concerned and it was a positive conversation - certainly sounded like they would take it seriously and contact the tenants. 

Odd thing is we’ve been here 3 years and never heard a peep out of that household, and the HO let slip that they’ve been there a long time. I’d assumed they were new tenants as we hardly ever saw or heard anyone in that property. 

Very odd that such behaviour just starts out of the blue.

20 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks all for the input and steer. Managed to speak to the housing officer today for the property concerned and it was a positive conversation - certainly sounded like they would take it seriously and contact the tenants. 

Odd thing is we’ve been here 3 years and never heard a peep out of that household, and the HO let slip that they’ve been there a long time. I’d assumed they were new tenants as we hardly ever saw or heard anyone in that property. 

they may well have sub let it on the quiet - do you recognise the people?

8 minutes ago, Antman said:

That thought did cross my mind. I don’t recognise them but I can’t say I’d have recognised them before if they are different people. We’ve pretty much heard nothing from that house since we’ve been where we are, but it’s not exactly next door so unless they we’re being particularly inconsiderate - as these are - our paths wouldn’t have really ever crossed. 

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

5 hours ago, Antman said:

Either that or the person who lives there has acquired a new partner with associated baggage. If that is the case it could well only be a short term problem as he/she will inevitably sling him/her out after they`ve got tired of one another.

Glad you had a positive meeting though, the HO will know their `customers` better than anyone else and is often the person best placed to get a result as the sanctions they can threaten actually mean something to the offender.

Archived