IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Will be surprised to see us sign a striker now then if LJ has commented on him signing as a striker. 

Looks like big Steve is banking the £20m+ this year and only handing LJ around a 3rd of that for pocket money!

Really need to stop looking in isolation at transfer fees as a measure of spend, especially net spend....it’s irrelevant these days.  Need to start thinking about total budget, profit and loss, FFP, Contract amortisation.  Boring I know, but that is the world in which football operates.  Net spend has no useful use these days.  Feel free to disagree.

44 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You really think he is banking the money?

Even at our current spending the club is likely going to be posting a loss.

There was a £13m or so loss before transfer fees were accounted for on recent accounts, that hasn't vanished.

We've brought in circa £20m of fees, except we haven't,

Those are the numbers once all clauses for bonuses are met. And even the initial fee won't be paid in one lump sum, but a payment spread over the players contract length.

Even assuming we had all £20m, we have spent £6m plus a compensation fee, and I'm pretty sure we'll be signing at least one more, given we've already tried to sign a goalkeeper. So already for this seasons accounts we're at a loss for SL.

You’re learning well Young Grasshopper.  (Google David Carradine / Kung-Fu)

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting that in the interview Weimann talks about the manager bringing him in to play ‘through the middle’ rather than ‘as a striker’. And he refers to getting ‘a few goals’ 

Reading between the lines I’d say he’s been brought in more as a 10/SS behind a Diedhiou/AN Other

Blows my 433 thought into the air.  4231 at best now @ollywhyte 

25 minutes ago, nickolas said:

If we are posting such losses, with average over 20k gates, the very figures SL quoted to get us sustainable then we are doing something seriously wrong to lose these sums. 

He can bank what he likes, the guys very clever hence where he lives. His tax saving alone per annum could cover losses!

Hopefully the ground and events run from the ground will markedly improve revenues. 

Catering revenues of matchdays has gone from £600k to £3m since the full ground has been running so everything heading in the right direction. 

If we are still posting huge losses in the next year or so i think SL is backing a sinking ship, financially-wise. 

Do you realise how much income is generated from 20k average gates?  About £5-6m, about 30-40% of our overall income / turnover, TV / League money being the biggest at circa £6-7m per year.  So even if we averaged £25k, you’re probably talking £2m extra income.....one Weimann (several Tilsons!), without even thinking about his wages!  That is the stark financial reality of football in the Championship without parachute payments.

Selling players at a “profit” (contract amortisation not fee received minus fee paid) is our way of minimised the risk of FFP.  Had we not sold Kodjia, Together with Bolassie addon we’d have been touching £13m losses....rather than £3.5.

Catering revenues up I agree, but that’s not profit!

I really am looking forward to seeing 17/18s accounts, but it will be March before we see them.

38 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I think this season is the one where Brownhill needs to progress as a real driving force in our central midfield. He has the ability and energy to make himself a complete nightmare for the opposition in the middle of the park.

However, bringing in someone like an Alan Judge or Henri Lansbury would really give us serious options in the middle. 

I'd test Villa with a bid for him, especially as he didn't feature loads under Bruce last year, and the fact that they're a bit skint at the moment!

Ive never quite understood the fascination with Lansbury. Can someone explain?

25 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Yeah, like when we had Kalifa Cisse, someone to sit in front, break up play and then launch our attack.

Always like Romaine Sawyers at Brentford, although he might not be as defensive. Great all rounder though.

Oh to dream of someone like Oliver Norwood joining in our side. 

Really like Norwood.

6 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Ive never quite understood the fascination with Lansbury. Can someone explain?

Oscar nominated, star of film and TV - starred in Bednobs and Broomsticks but probably best known for Murder She Wrote.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cue Murder She Wrote puns.

Just now, downendcity said:

Oscar nominated, star of film and TV - starred in Bednobs and Broomsticks but probably best known for Murder She Wrote.

Happy to oblige, but with added items of interest! 

Just now, Red_Wizard said:

Not to put a downer on things, but on paper. None of the signings so far bar Webster look like they are an improvement on the starting XI. I guess time will tell.

well watkins is a right sided winger and we don't have any of those so theres one improvement

Webster is a highly rated centre back and is better then wright so theres two

Hakeen is a promising winger with almost 200 games in the english league who is better than our other promising winger Ellaison so thats 3

and Weiman is better than paterson so thats 4

all of them improve us 

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really need to stop looking in isolation at transfer fees as a measure of spend, especially net spend....it’s irrelevant these days.  Need to start thinking about total budget, profit and loss, FFP, Contract amortisation.  Boring I know, but that is the world in which football operates.  Net spend has no useful use these days.  Feel free to disagree.

You’re learning well Young Grasshopper.  (Google David Carradine / Kung-Fu)

Blows my 433 thought into the air.  4231 at best now @ollywhyte 

Do you realise how much income is generated from 20k average gates?  About £5-6m, about 30-40% of our overall income / turnover, TV / League money being the biggest at circa £6-7m per year.  So even if we averaged £25k, you’re probably talking £2m extra income.....one Weimann (several Tilsons!), without even thinking about his wages!  That is the stark financial reality of football in the Championship without parachute payments.

Selling players at a “profit” (contract amortisation not fee received minus fee paid) is our way of minimised the risk of FFP.  Had we not sold Kodjia, Together with Bolassie addon we’d have been touching £13m losses....rather than £3.5.

Catering revenues up I agree, but that’s not profit!

I really am looking forward to seeing 17/18s accounts, but it will be March before we see them.

Great post.

In addition, being sustainable isn't necessarily about breaking even or making a profit, it is about operating within FFP.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Great post.

In addition, being sustainable isn't necessarily about breaking even or making a profit, it is about operating within FFP.

Correct, in some respects, SL saying sustainable might mean i’ll write off £13m each season as long as we are progressing towards the Prem.  If we show that we aren’t i’ll Make you run to a break-even budget.

46 minutes ago, nickolas said:

If we are posting such losses, with average over 20k gates, the very figures SL quoted to get us sustainable then we are doing something seriously wrong to lose these sums. 

Yep- overspending on massive transfer fees and not progressing new players from the Academy and not taking advantage of good value players or cashing in on assets before their contract runs out .

Hang on..........

10 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Not to put a downer on things, but on paper. None of the signings so far bar Webster look like they are an improvement on the starting XI. I guess time will tell.

Even if they were only as good as what we had before it's a good deal as we've probably got an extra £14M in the bank. Also the new players weren't part of our collapse last season so will give a fresh impetus to the squad.

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

well watkins is a right sided winger and we don't have any of those so theres one improvement

Webster is a highly rated centre back and is better then wright so theres two

Hakeen is a promising winger with almost 200 games in the english league who is better than our other promising winger Ellaison so thats 3

and Weiman is better than paterson so thats 4

all of them improve us 

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying Monk, but the comment was about improvement to our starting eleven. It's a bit misleading to include our latest forgotten man in that equation.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

well watkins is a right sided winger and we don't have any of those so theres one improvement - depends if he is any better than the rest we have tried over there, to early to tell

Webster is a highly rated centre back and is better then wright so theres two - But its Flint who departed, is he better than Flint ? jurys out

Hakeen is a promising winger with almost 200 games in the english league who is better than our other promising winger Ellaison so thats 3 - He has never played champ, so you have no idea who is better than.

and Weiman is better than paterson so thats 4 - But he is seen as more as a bobby replacement, he will be going some to improve on his last season.

all of them improve us - highly debatable

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying Monk, but the comment was about improvement to our starting eleven. It's a bit misleading to include our latest forgotten man in that equation.

Well I didn't want to include Bryan as I rate him highly and he's still here, I've not seen Hakeem play (apart from the play-offs) so can't say confidently that he's better then Joe

15 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

"Bobby mostly scored at Championship level and that was rather a while ago" ........said the gutted cardiff fan at the 2019 relegation wake whilst adding another log onto Colin's funeral pyre.

I hope you aren't comparing sensational Bob to Sideshow Bob?

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Well I didn't want to include Bryan as I rate him highly and he's still here, I've not seen Hakeem play (apart from the play-offs) so can't say confidently that he's better then Joe

I think it's quite clear that our head coach sees Bryan as a left back. I'd say that your man for that particular comparison would be COD. I've never seen Adelakun play but if he's  already better than COD we've done alright there.

Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely superb signing?

Premier League experience, Championship experience, hard worker, not yet at his prime.

Credit where it's due, this is a properly good signing. Balancing experience and youth, that's the key, hopefully LJ/MA are learning. 

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Happy to oblige, but with added items of interest! 

Not as fascinating as your usual 'items of interest' dc. :whistle2:

Time for another random appearance to celebrate Weimann's signing? :dunno::yes:

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely superb signing?

Premier League experience, Championship experience, hard worker, not yet at his prime.

Credit where it's due, this is a properly good signing. Balancing experience and youth, that's the key, hopefully LJ/MA are learning. 

I’m with you. I think this is the best bit of business we’ve done in a long time. 

£2m is nothing these days.

Archived