IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well that's not good. More a winger than striker. Makes me wonder if we are not in for Marriott now 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You’d think that all but kills the Marriott rumour then. 

I think that is said to make Barry Fry sit up, take notice and stop 'kin about. "Go on then, you can have him for £5m ..."

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One only just left relatively recently!

Ivan Lucic

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Lucic was Austrian. There's probably more too I would guess.

Good shout chaps - in my mind he was German, but of course he was in fact Austrian.

Just thought of another....Stefan Maierhofer

Should of given it more thought :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

There was alot of fans on your forum who seemed quite happy he is gone, and that his finishing leaves alot to be desired, tends to scuff shots and struggles with final balls. Anything in that? Or do you feel he wasnt played in his favored position at Derby?

Yeah, he's okay unless he has time to think about it, instinctive player. It's true he rarely payed up front but he was a long way down the pecking order in that position.

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Will be surprised to see us sign a striker now then if LJ has commented on him signing as a striker. 

Looks like big Steve is banking the £20m+ this year and only handing LJ around a 3rd of that for pocket money!

And who could blame him...

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Another very good signing to add to 3 others but without an upgrade in central midfield then I see another roller coaster of winning and losing streaks of the past 3 years.

Please don’t ignore central midfield again please LJ.

A long time to go I know but it has to be the biggest priority now, we need a new leader.

I’m so desperate to see us bring in a real midfield general. 

29 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think he’s a good defender and I don’t attribute much blame to him with our defensive record being so bad.  

Average keeper, attacking full backs, no defensive midfielder = goals conceded too easily. 

My view 100% - apart from the amended bit in bold.

Flint will thrive in a team coached by Pulis.

He now plays for a manager who puts defensive solidity at the top of his priorities and sets up his team accordingly - in other words, the opposite of the City teams Flint played in.

Of course this makes all Pulis teams dull as ditch water whereas City are, when on form, exciting - LJ wants to attack and outscore the opposition, Pulis just wants to win 1-0.

9 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Yeah, he's okay unless he has time to think about it, instinctive player. It's true he rarely payed up front but he was a long way down the pecking order in that position.

Think LJ must be thinking Benteke and Weimann was when Weimann produced his best ‘numbers’, and sees Diedhiou and Weimann offering something similar.

I really like this type of signing.  You never know how they work out, but on paper (imho) this is a very good signing for us....at a sensible price.

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Will be surprised to see us sign a striker now then if LJ has commented on him signing as a striker. 

Looks like big Steve is banking the £20m+ this year and only handing LJ around a 3rd of that for pocket money!

You really think he is banking the money?

Even at our current spending the club is likely going to be posting a loss.

There was a £13m or so loss before transfer fees were accounted for on recent accounts, that hasn't vanished.

We've brought in circa £20m of fees, except we haven't,

Those are the numbers once all clauses for bonuses are met. And even the initial fee won't be paid in one lump sum, but a payment spread over the players contract length.

Even assuming we had all £20m, we have spent £6m plus a compensation fee, and I'm pretty sure we'll be signing at least one more, given we've already tried to sign a goalkeeper. So already for this seasons accounts we're at a loss for SL.

Interesting that in the interview Weimann talks about the manager bringing him in to play ‘through the middle’ rather than ‘as a striker’. And he refers to getting ‘a few goals’ 

Reading between the lines I’d say he’s been brought in more as a 10/SS behind a Diedhiou/AN Other

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m so desperate to see us bring in a real midfield general. 

I think this season is the one where Brownhill needs to progress as a real driving force in our central midfield. He has the ability and energy to make himself a complete nightmare for the opposition in the middle of the park.

However, bringing in someone like an Alan Judge or Henri Lansbury would really give us serious options in the middle. 

I'd test Villa with a bid for him, especially as he didn't feature loads under Bruce last year, and the fact that they're a bit skint at the moment!

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I think this season is the one where Brownhill needs to progress as a real driving force in our central midfield. He has the ability and energy to make himself a complete nightmare for the opposition in the middle of the park.

However, bringing in someone like an Alan Judge or Henri Lansbury would really give us serious options in the middle. 

I'd test Villa with a bid for him, especially as he didn't feature loads under Bruce last year, and the fact that they're a bit skint at the moment!

Personally I’d rather we added to the defensive side of midfield. We have no one in our entire squad who can sit in front of a back 4 and protect it well and for me that’s the number one reason we concede so many opportunities through the middle  

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think this is the most important thing anyone has mentioned all summer. 

Bobby was never going to replicate last season. So even having Bobby still here would not guarantee to repeat Bobby’s goals.

It's one of the reasons I was happy to take the money. For what it's worth, I think Bobby could do very well but £10million for a guy with one good signing behind him is good business.

Anyway, welcome Andreas

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Personally I’d rather we added to the defensive side of midfield. We have no one in our entire squad who can sit in front of a back 4 and protect it well and for me that’s the number one reason we concede so many opportunities through the middle  

Again agree 100%.

Even though Korey Smith is one of my favourite players of recent times, a Kaliffa Cisse type would improve us immeasurably - someone who can read the game defensively, snuff out attacks at source, physically strong, excellent technique to keep possession once its been won. Kante and Viera other examples that spring to mind.

We need to go back to France and instead of looking for the next up and coming hotshot, find the next up and coming Cisse, Kante or Viera. 

Webster/Wright/Baker are more than good enough at Championship level but would be even better with quality defensive cover in front of them. This type of player - who can read the game - might even compensate for a style of play that encourages our full backs to push well up the pitch and leaves us vulnerable to the counter. 

A shame we're seemingly not interested in finding such a player.

Anyhoo, willkommen Andreas!

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You really think he is banking the money?

Even at our current spending the club is likely going to be posting a loss.

There was a £13m or so loss before transfer fees were accounted for on recent accounts, that hasn't vanished.

We've brought in circa £20m of fees, except we haven't,

Those are the numbers once all clauses for bonuses are met. And even the initial fee won't be paid in one lump sum, but a payment spread over the players contract length.

Even assuming we had all £20m, we have spent £6m plus a compensation fee, and I'm pretty sure we'll be signing at least one more, given we've already tried to sign a goalkeeper. So already for this seasons accounts we're at a loss for SL.

If we are posting such losses, with average over 20k gates, the very figures SL quoted to get us sustainable then we are doing something seriously wrong to lose these sums. 

He can bank what he likes, the guys very clever hence where he lives. His tax saving alone per annum could cover losses!

Hopefully the ground and events run from the ground will markedly improve revenues. 

Catering revenues of matchdays has gone from £600k to £3m since the full ground has been running so everything heading in the right direction. 

If we are still posting huge losses in the next year or so i think SL is backing a sinking ship, financially-wise. 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah, like when we had Kalifa Cisse, someone to sit in front, break up play and then launch our attack.

Always like Romaine Sawyers at Brentford, although he might not be as defensive. Great all rounder though.

Oh to dream of someone like Oliver Norwood joining in our side. 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hegeler? :fear:

17 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Hegeler? :fear:

Yes, I see what you're getting at but the best players of this type - a Kante or Viera - are much more physically dynamic than Hegeler, who gives the impression the pace of the Championship is just a bit much for him. Kaliffa Cisse was a bit more laid back than Kante or Viera but still exceptionally good just by being in the right place at the right time. He was massively under-rated at City but we were a shambles at the time so I suppose it was too easy for frustrated supporters not to warm to a bloke who could look like he wasn't trying very hard.  

Archived