IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is different, posted elsewhere (I won’t go over again), but I do worry that he won’t come back this season the player I thought he was early 17/18.  If he was rushed back (I think he was) then give him a bit of credit for playing when not ready - remember the same cost Bailey Wright his WC slot....and a slagging from City fans (undeserved imho).

If he was fit, then he cane back a shadow of himself, and it suggests he isn’t the answer for us.

A big pre-season for player and manager (in terms of whether to bring someone in or maybe he has Moore up his sleeve).

Moore loaned out and Pisano replaced imo.

One of Reid's biggest contributions last season was his pressing game up front. Weimann has been brought in because he can also do that. There's no reason that Weimann can't finish the same chances that Bobby got (not many were wondergoals!)

40 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Exactly the point. Flints goals on paper looks good but he cost a fair few goals each season due to him being an at best average defender in this league. 

I think he’s a good defender and I don’t attribute much blame to him with our defensive record being so bad.  

Average keeper, poor right backs, no defensive midfielder = goals conceded too easily. 

8 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Kingpin in a defence that's been shipping in goals for 3 seasons. He's only known and raved about because he scores goals. Those commentators only saw him in the cup games probably. Plus he's not really a leader who can help organise a defence 

He is a legend - no doubt....and for many reasons.

Does that make him the best defender in the Championship?  Nope.

Legend / Cult hero / talisman can be based on so many things, not just pure footballing ability / performance.

Flint is somewhere in the mix of being a decent to very good CB in the Champ.  He has strengths that imho overall cover his weaknesses, just like most defenders in this division.  You aren’t a 6’6” CB who dominates in the air in both boxes, who isn’t bit slow on the turn, Suspect against intelligent movement.  If he had all those bits he’d be in the WC2018.  No defender is perfect at this level.  Just like Dennis Odoi, lovely quick, footballing CB, but not gonna dominate against a Djúric or high ball.

I’m glad we’ve had 4 (out of 5) improvement seasons out of Flint.  I liked the Flint / Baker combo...I quite liked the Flint / Mags combo too, but if I could’ve brought along a Des Walker type to play alongside him, I reckon we’d have seen an even better player. I never thought he got physically tight to his man when the ball was on the deck, because he feared being spun, or just plain didn’t want to be dragged out of position leaving gaps in behind.  Bailey Wright (on form) does it very well.  As a result he could never psyche his opponent into thinking he was gonna get clattered and too many times strikers got easier ball into feet than I would’ve liked.  That is my only real criticism of him.  As a striker, if you think your CB is coming through you, it don’t arf put pressure on your first touch!

All players make rickets, Flint didn’t make too many.

All defenders get caught by clever movement, all defenders get caught by the perfectly time and paced cross / throughball.

Flint is worthy of his move to Prem-chasing team.  There are probably better CBs in this division, but they’ll all have some weaknesses.

I look at the performance away at Brighton in 16/17 and find it hard to see a better commanding CB performance that day.  I also remember Rotherham away where a lesser player would’ve shrunk.  There were many more Brighton’s than Rotherham’s in his time here.

His abilities on the ball imprived significantly too in his time here.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think he’s a good defender and I don’t attribute much blame to him with our defensive record being so bad.  

Average keeper, poor right backs, no defensive midfielder = goals conceded too easily. 

Agree with some of those sentiments.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Well that's not good. More a winger than striker. Makes me wonder if we are not in for Marriott now 

well he said himself he wants to play in the middle so he sees himself as more of a striker then a winger, I think I'll trust the player on this one

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You’d think that all but kills the Marriott rumour then. 

Yep looks that way. Shame but can’t blame them if it is the case.  Slightly worried if we aren’t going to sign a proven scorer though but time will tell. Maybe a loan. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You’d think that all but kills the Marriott rumour then. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well that's not good. More a winger than striker. Makes me wonder if we are not in for Marriott now 

Hmmm, the bit where he says 'if necessary' means there'd have to be other players playing upfront. Our only Striker I could see starting is Fammy. So potentially a ST coming in. I'm being Very optimistic though xD

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

well he said himself he wants to play in the middle so he sees himself as more of a striker then a winger, I think I'll trust the player on this one

I don’t see it as being a bad thing at all that he’s been brought in as a striker/second striker. He seems to have all the attributes needed to make an impact. He has a lot of very similar attributes to Reid so I don’t see why we shouldn’t believe that he can be coached into that role more. 

2 minutes ago, Redshorts said:

“With our system and shape, I believe he can be a goalscorer that can blend in with the other four senior strikers we have on our books.”

whose the four other strikers?? I can only think of three senior strikers!

Yeah that is odd. Unless we have another one coming in imminently, or he's counting one of our youth players as a senior striker now.

2 minutes ago, Redshorts said:

“With our system and shape, I believe he can be a goalscorer that can blend in with the other four senior strikers we have on our books.”

whose the four other strikers?? I can only think of three senior strikers!

Duric, taylor, Diedhiou and hinds? 

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

My initial thoughts are "good signing", never thought he was a striker though so this should be interesting.

Just popping in to add 2ps worth from the Derby side - Likeable player, great energy, great attitude. Has been described at every club's fans as 'best when he plays up front' but rarely plays there, sounds like Johnson has similar plans..... Most Rams will see £2m as a very very decent return, maybe he'll prove us wrong.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think this is the most important thing anyone has mentioned all summer. 

Bobby was never going to replicate last season. So even having Bobby still here would not guarantee to repeat Bobby’s goals.

You have absolutely no idea if that statement is true or not. It's pure speculation.

As he never had a season before as an out-and-out striker, we have no previous data to compare with.

One thing's for sure, you don't score 21 goals by luck.

2 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Just popping in to add 2ps worth from the Derby side - Likeable player, great energy, great attitude. Has been described at every club's fans as 'best when he plays up front' but rarely plays there, sounds like Johnson has similar plans..... Most Rams will see £2m as a very very decent return, maybe he'll prove us wrong.

There was alot of fans on your forum who seemed quite happy he is gone, and that his finishing leaves alot to be desired, tends to scuff shots and struggles with final balls. Anything in that? Or do you feel he wasnt played in his favored position at Derby?

Archived