IGNORED

Andreas Weimann - Now Confirmed - 3 Year Deal

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely superb signing?

Premier League experience, Championship experience, hard worker, not yet at his prime.

Credit where it's due, this is a properly good signing. Balancing experience and youth, that's the key, hopefully LJ/MA are learning. 

Yep, it's everything lots of people were crying out for - experienced but still pretty young, goalscorer, can play a variety of positions, pacey... I would say this is a bit of a coup for us actually.

Pretty exciting.

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- overspending on massive transfer fees and not progressing new players from the Academy and not taking advantage of good value players or cashing in on assets before their contract runs out .

Hang on..........

And that has what to do with what i said?

all of your quote is valid but doesnt cover my comments!

SL stated 20k gates were break even figures. We hit that but lose £12m?!

we are seemingly selling at profits versus spending so im not getting it. 

Our accountants arent doing their job!

33 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Not to put a downer on things, but on paper. None of the signings so far bar Webster look like they are an improvement on the starting XI. I guess time will tell.

Weimann alone has more pedigree than anyone else in our squad. 

13 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely superb signing?

Premier League experience, Championship experience, hard worker, not yet at his prime.

Credit where it's due, this is a properly good signing. Balancing experience and youth, that's the key, hopefully LJ/MA are learning. 

No. Very good signing for us IMO. Lack of ambition apparently and we’re signing first teamers from playoff finishers. 

Sheep in peace :fingerscrossed: AW then hey! you guys seem quite excited about him signing. Don't think many Derby fans will lose much sleep him leaving. Never really produced what was hoped when he signed from Villa (think we paid £2.5m).

Went on loan to Wolves and scored a goal or two in the cup against Liverpool. He might do better through the middle. Not a position he has been tried at though for Derby. Having Vydra in that position, as well as Ince (previous seasons) and more recently Lawrence meant AW got stuck out on the wing. Amazing hard worker, but can be terribly frustrating blowing counter attack chances either letting the ball run away for a goal kick or he simply trips over the ball and loses possession. Can't say I've ever seen him beat a full back with a trick or even for speed and whipping a cross in either.

Good luck anyway, make sure you smash those Red Dogs on opening day!!! :boxing:

All the best lads. COME ON ENGLAND! :englandflag:

ps. search YouTube for his goal away at Barnsley, a beauty!

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Weimann alone has more pedigree than anyone else in our squad. 

Exactly - Besides, for us to sign someone who's more or less guaranteed to get 20 goals in this division.. we'd have to spend more than we received for Reid I think. It's almost impossible to guarantee 20 goals in this league of course. The idea for a club of our standing is to develop someone into that player like we did with Reid or find a rough diamond ala Kodjia.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly - Besides, for us to sign someone who's more or less guaranteed to get 20 goals in this division.. we'd have to spend more than we received for Reid I think. It's almost impossible to guarantee 20 goals in this league of course. The idea for a club of our standing is to develop someone into that player like we did with Reid or find a rough diamond ala Kodjia.

Exactly. If anyone thought Tammy was going to bang 20 in then the entire division would have been in the queue for him and we’d have never got him here.  

52 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Not to put a downer on things, but on paper. None of the signings so far bar Webster look like they are an improvement on the starting XI. I guess time will tell.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think we're trying to replace Bobby Reid with a Sergio Aguero or Flint with a John Terry (those examples are an exaggeration, for effect).

I think we're trying to build a matchday squad of 17 that are all of a similar standard as this is one reason why we suffered in the second half of last season - when rotation and rest was required, the manager had few options. Elliason, for example, sat on the bench but never came on because the manager didn't trust him to be good enough (yet). This season will be different and we'll have 15,16,17 players all pushing each other for places.

Plus, it's clear the manager wants to play out from the back and, in this respect, Webster is a definite upgrade; Watkins and Weimann bring the sort of energy that is essential for a pressing style, the latter being a good player at this level especially for £2M and even more so when we've sold Reid for five times that; and Adelukan will be that "different club in the bag" the manager was looking for in Leko and Kent - and he'll definitely be an improvement on them (not hard) if only by virtue of the fact he's our own player, committed to the City cause, rather than a temporary loanee with an attitude problem.

All positives! (bar the worry about replacing Reid's goals!) 

I like the deals we've done so far . No one knows whether they'll work out or not but they look good and should have value in them for the club .

If Webster gets a solid season in , if Weimann rediscovers his goal touch , If Adelakun steps up to Championship level, if Watkins gets his Mojo back we will have a good season and their values will have risen.

Buy Marriott at 6 million and he flops that's at least 5 million down the drain if we sell him on . 

Replacing a striker who scored 20+ goals last season would be hard for any team at this level.

But we need to remember that Bobby has only achieved this once, and previously had scored only a handful of goals. So I see it as replacing 'like for like' in terms of potential and playing style, but feel that we could still go out and get a more traditional 'fox in the box' or someone that plays off the shoulder because I still don't believe Taylor is good enough at this level.

If we want to progress then slowly we need to improve every player in the team, whilst staying within a budget, and i do think that's one thing LJ is slowly doing. 2million is a bargain in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Ive never quite understood the fascination with Lansbury. Can someone explain?

He's a 'big name' player. As is often the case with such players, his reputation outweighs his actual contribution.

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not as fascinating as your usual 'items of interest' dc. :whistle2:

Time for another random appearance to celebrate Weimann's signing? :dunno::yes:

Im trying to slip it in whenever possible and appropriate....................................................

;)

I think Weimann is a good signing, decent- can play across the front line, quite quick- reasonable technically. According to WhoScored, he is not bad on the break either- another string to our bow.

36 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Never recall SL saying that, though he might have.

Regardless, no way would 20k gates see us break even unless perhaps if we had an ambition of pure survival, like say Barnsley or Burton- the gap between the wages and the TV money's too great.

Profits on transfers help- but maybe SL meant to be FFP compliant etc. we needed 20k gates. Break even? Nope.

Bit of context is that wages- and I mean wages alone- were 99% of turnover in 16/17. Which is no problem at this level because the average for the Championship was 101% I think!?

http://priceoffootball.com/bristol-city-unfinished-sympathy/

With particular reference to:

Championship-Income-2016-17-Post-Bristol

a-screenshot-of-a-cell-phone-description

word-image-4.png?resize=768,371

Bristol-City-Spreadsheet-2013-17.jpg?res

a-close-up-of-text-on-a-white-background

A key takeaway from that is that Gate Receipts were £5m- or about 55% or thereabouts of our wage bill in League One title season (was £9m IIRC).

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bit of a gamble Johnson thinking he can turn Weimann into an effective goalscoring central striker. When Lambert at Villa, Rowett and McLaren at Derby have all played him on the wing. If we are sticking with the 4411/442 of last season then Id go with Paterson in behind Diedhiou. We were saying last season how we love seeing Paterson in behind the striker. Well now Bobby has gone, he has to play there surely. Weimann nowhere near as good on the ball. Pato is unplayable when on form. Lets not forget about Matty Taylor too. Very good option with Diedhiou. He was superb in the cup games in that role. If he wasn't fit all last season like Johnson  says, then maybe he is a better player than what we have seen, and he still  has an important role in the squad. I think maybe us buying Marriott now depends on whether Johnson wants to keep Taylor or not. I think Weimann might get a number of games but in various roles depending on players fitness and availability. I expect he will play as the main striker in those first 6 league games if we don't bring in another forward

Not sure he's even fully a winger as such, more of an attacking mid (left, right or central) or a wide forward IMO. However he can play along the front line Weimann.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I like the deals we've done so far . No one knows whether they'll work out or not but they look good and should have value in them for the club .

If Webster gets a solid season in , if Weimann rediscovers his goal touch , If Adelakun steps up to Championship level, if Watkins gets his Mojo back we will have a good season and their values will have risen.

Buy Marriott at 6 million and he flops that's at least 5 million down the drain if we sell him on . 

Rediscover his goal touch? You have to have had one to rediscover it,that said for 2 million it’s a good signing.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Too many "if`s" here`s another IF we win every game we could be promoted by Feb;

Not many if any were setting there prev clubs alight; ready to be amazed though if LJ can mould them into a play off challenging squad this season

2 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Too many "if`s" here`s another IF we win every game we could be promoted by Feb;

Not many if any were setting there prev clubs alight; ready to be amazed though if LJ can mould them into a play off challenging squad this season

Well of course there are a lot of 'if's. That's the nature of it being in the future.

43 minutes ago, nickolas said:

SL has never stated a break even figure on gates, unless you can find the article to back that up,

He's always said he'd like the club more sustainable hence the 5 pillers, the aim to sign younger players improve them and sell them on, which is what has happened 

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Are you still talking about the picture or something else?

Nothing like Innuendo to get a response.

Innuendo is a right back replacement for Pissano and  currently playing in the  Italian Serie B!

:yes:

53 minutes ago, RedcarRam said:

Sheep in peace :fingerscrossed: AW then hey! you guys seem quite excited about him signing. Don't think many Derby fans will lose much sleep him leaving. Never really produced what was hoped when he signed from Villa (think we paid £2.5m).

Went on loan to Wolves and scored a goal or two in the cup against Liverpool. He might do better through the middle. Not a position he has been tried at though for Derby. Having Vydra in that position, as well as Ince (previous seasons) and more recently Lawrence meant AW got stuck out on the wing. Amazing hard worker, but can be terribly frustrating blowing counter attack chances either letting the ball run away for a goal kick or he simply trips over the ball and loses possession. Can't say I've ever seen him beat a full back with a trick or even for speed and whipping a cross in either.

Good luck anyway, make sure you smash those Red Dogs on opening day!!! :boxing:

All the best lads. COME ON ENGLAND! :englandflag:

ps. search YouTube for his goal away at Barnsley, a beauty!

Think we want him to replace Bobby Reid in terms of energy and pressing off the ball if we want to maintain our pressing style. We have Diedhiou who will be a 20 goal a season striker if he stays fit, so if we can get goals from other players like the wingers we've brought in then Weimann scoring less may not be the biggest issue if he can contribute to the overall team performance and style of play.

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

SL has never stated a break even figure on gates, unless you can find the article to back that up,

He's always said he'd like the club more sustainable hence the 5 pillers, the aim to sign younger players improve them and sell them on, which is what has happened 

Think he said something along the lines of we need 20k gates for breaking even, as in it's a contributing factor but not THE thing that will bring it about. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Weimann is a good signing, decent- can play across the front line, quite quick- reasonable technically. According to WhoScored, he is not bad on the break either- another string to our bow.

Never recall SL saying that, though he might have.

Regardless, no way would 20k gates see us break even unless perhaps if we had an ambition of pure survival, like say Barnsley or Burton- the gap between the wages and the TV money's too great.

Profits on transfers help- but maybe SL meant to be FFP compliant etc. we needed 20k gates. Break even? Nope.

Bit of context is that wages- and I mean wages alone- were 99% of turnover in 16/17. Which is no problem at this level because the average for the Championship was 101% I think!?

http://priceoffootball.com/bristol-city-unfinished-sympathy/

With particular reference to:

Championship-Income-2016-17-Post-Bristol

word-image-4.png?resize=768,371

Bristol-City-Spreadsheet-2013-17.jpg?res

a-close-up-of-text-on-a-white-background

A key takeaway from that is that Gate Receipts were £5m- or about 55% or thereabouts of our wage bill in League One title season (was £9m IIRC).

Not sure he's even fully a winger as such, more of an attacking mid (left, right or central) or a wide forward IMO. However he can play along the front line Weimann.

Surely the big thing about the stadium redevelopment is not just the increase in gates - much as thought has to be a positive financially - but the commercial opportunities the stadium now gives the club.

I think Im right in saying that before the redevelopment we were the only championship club with no corporate boxes. We do now, so that will be a not insignificant income stream on top of gate receipts. 

More importantly, before the refit  AG was only really generating income for the club on match days. Is it not now the case that AG has qui key become a major conference and corporate events venue - not just in Bristol but the greater south west? If so then this will be generating commercial income on an additional 5/6 days a week.

While or player strategy will obviously be a major factor in helping the club to stand on it's own feet financially, I also think that SL putting a lot of capital into the stadium rebuild ( which he can do under financial rules) will pay dividends because the income the stadium will generate , in addition to just gate receipts on match day, will go a long way to making us financially self sufficient, or at least reducing the club's reliance on the owner to cover big losses every season.

Hopefully we’ll see a better goal scoring Weimann than at his previous clubs if he’s played more centrally. He looked promising at Villa playing centrally off Benteke.

Perhaps he can also play up top on his own with Paterson in behind - the formation which coincided with some our best football last year when we were forced to play Reid as the lone striker with Pato roaming in the number 10 role.

Maybe because he works so hard, it’s actually worked against him as managers have looked at what he can offer defensively and can be trusted to do a job more so than other ‘flair’ players. Similar to where Rooney used to find himself playing on the left hand side to accommodate Ronaldo at Man Utd.

He could thrive playing with more freedom in the middle and maybe that’s how LJ sold it to AW.

Slightly underwhelmed when this rumour broke, but actually quite happy about it now!

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Think we want him to replace Bobby Reid in terms of energy and pressing off the ball if we want to maintain our pressing style. We have Diedhiou who will be a 20 goal a season striker if he stays fit, so if we can get goals from other players like the wingers we've brought in then Weimann scoring less may not be the biggest issue if he can contribute to the overall team performance and style of play.

definitely- more fit and less spit.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Finally a replacement for Danny Haynes , what took you so long ? 

Getting up after my afternoon nap, major, I thought you wrote Johnny Haynes...................now if we could capture him :ill::laughcont:

Archived