IGNORED

Line up vs Bournemouth

Finley_Smith10

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My lingering concern regards Taylor.

Our game is based around players who are willing and able to play and receive passes at speed, with accuracy. Taylor's first touch is just not good enough and promising moves seem to break down when the ball is played into him. I don't think that he's a striker who is feared by Championship defenders; I don't know whether the stats bear out my feeling that he seldom seems to strike at goal. Eisa did more in his brief cameo than Taylor achieved.

I know that Taylor is a wasp who harries defenders but his efforts seem seldom to bear fruit. I don't think that Taylor is the answer. Mind you nobody asked a question.

He`s a handy player to bring on for the last twenty to get in the faces of tired/booked defenders and I think he does have a goal in him so I`d hope we keep him - unless we get an offer that`s too good to turn down of course.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

3.2% chance of scoring a goal from a corner these days, taken from Opta stats.

Plus enough evidence that teams are most vulnerable when taking a corner.

Hence my posts about crosses from wingers into a well defended box...similar ethos.

Nice little read this about how the modern game is different from the past, especially when defenders and goalkeepers are now more likely to be offered 'protection' from the ref.

I think many still live in the past when he comes to seeing the positives of traditional crosses into the box, as so much has changed in the game in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

There were figures on here that City with Flint scored more goals than 3.2% and that Bryans crossing was well above average. At the World cup Englands corners were incredible.

Whats the figure for crossing without corners? 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Bob what the highlights don't show is just how many times that wing play came to nothing.............even tho it was exciting to watch, it came to nothing more often than not. 

Well you keep posting to yourself 

I’ll leave others to decide on your posts

You have a serious attention problem or are your posts-indicate one of the worst basic understanding of the game than anyone I’ve ever met in around 50 yrs of football

Sad

I personally love wingers in our side always have. But I totally understand spudskis post . Especially championship and above . How brutal and can be with a quick loss of the ball . I know Bournemouth’s goal wasn’t from a cross. But Taylor had a simple ball to put through to Weimann. Messed it up 10 seconds later 1 down. But on the flip side if Eliasson can produce performances like that consistently. It’s a risk worth taking IMO

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You have a serious attention problem or are your posts-indicate one of the worst basic understanding of the game than anyone I’ve ever met in around 50 yrs of football

Sad

Thanks Bob.............:thumbsup:

As I've suggest before - put me on ignore. You'd enjoy otib more if you didn't have my posts bothering you..........

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

3.2% chance of scoring a goal from a corner these days, taken from Opta stats.

Plus enough evidence that teams are most vulnerable when taking a corner.

Hence my posts about crosses from wingers into a well defended box...similar ethos.

Nice little read this about how the modern game is different from the past, especially when defenders and goalkeepers are now more likely to be offered 'protection' from the ref.

I think many still live in the past when he comes to seeing the positives of traditional crosses into the box, as so much has changed in the game in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

You may want to differentiate more between forms of cross deep v wide and system v system. One of the main reasons crossing is often ineffectual is teams do not generally play 4-4-2 v 4-4-2, wide players can be confronted by two and three players leading to more less effective deep crosses etc ..  

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sad

I'll decide on @Robbored's post then: he is absolutely right and you are living in a different age (and quite literally expousing players from a different age).

As @spudski has pointed out, crosses from wingers rarely provide success.  That is why, in the recent World Cup, wingers would get into a position to cross (almost without any pressure) and give up the chance and pass back.  Perhaps you didn't get to see this?  Or understand?  I'll await your predictable response.

20 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'll decide on @Robbored's post then: he is absolutely right and you are living in a different age (and quite literally expousing players from a different age).

As @spudski has pointed out, crosses from wingers rarely provide success.  That is why, in the recent World Cup, wingers would get into a position to cross (almost without any pressure) and give up the chance and pass back.  Perhaps you didn't get to see this?  Or understand?  I'll await your predictable response.

The above is what ? your theory ?

Have you any idea with your theory where the majority goals are scored from 

By the way we are not in a World Cup playing Internatuonal Football , We are not Manchester City or Barcelona

Another copy cat football pundi

What’s really funny - is - if you Also if you actually bothered with reading the posts before jumping in with both feet  - you’d actually have seen the point referred to the laughable claims that players like Smith & Gavin came to nothing

Maybe you’re of that opinion too (If you were actually supporting then )

:juggle:

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Bournemouth play a friendly this afternoon at the City ground v Forest. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

They played a strong starting 11 last night. Far stronger than i’d expected to see from them, especially with what must be seen as another first team friendly being played today. 

I wonder what line up they’ll put out at Forest..?  

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Peterborough 

Quite right. He scored 2 in both a 4-1last game of the season trouncing and I think a 2-0 at their place.

I dunno why I said Swansea. Did he manage 1 in the cup against them that year. I'm sure I saw him score in a 2 legged affair. Ahhh old age it's not recommended.

26 minutes ago, TRL said:

Quite right. He scored 2 in both a 4-1last game of the season trouncing and I think a 2-0 at their place.

I dunno why I said Swansea. Did he manage 1 in the cup against them that year. I'm sure I saw him score in a 2 legged affair. Ahhh old age it's not recommended.

He definitely scored 2 Home and 2 away V Peterborough that season (his only league goals) I think he did get 1 cup goal, which now you mention it, could have been Vs Swansea. 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

A very tricky first fixture. No doubt if we lose then there will be a massive overreaction on here. I would take a point even if we are at home.

They are all "tricky" after Forest its;

Bolton a, then Boro h, QPR and Swans away; two very hard home games and the 3 away, difficult to say the least, 5pts from that lot if we are lucky imo.

Oh and Sept is even worse, tough games ahead we will soon find out where we are. ?

46 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Bolton a, then Boro h, QPR and Swans away; two very hard home games and the 3 away, difficult to say the least, 5pts from that lot if we are lucky imo.

Oh and Sept is even worse, tough games ahead we will soon find out where we are. ?

Ffs cheer up ?

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

Forest 2-0 BMouth 14000 odd watched, they are quite excited on their forum too; gonna be a proper game next week and a test for sure.

I don’t think Bournemouth had as strong a team out as they had against us last night (still fairly strong though)

Impressive crowd was because it was free for Season Ticket Holders to go to the game. 

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I thought Bournemouth put a couple of poor challenges in last night . Anyone else think that. Or just me

Yes considering it was a friendly, Kings challenge on Pisano on the touchline was very bad and there was no need for it.

Going back to last night's game, nobody has mentioned the very good cameo from Academy left back Cameron Pring. 

Should Joe Bryan leave this week, do we think he should be considered as Lloyd Kelly appears to have minor injury problems and Pisano is not really suited to play left back. 

• Admin

@spudski if we get back to the late 2017 style LJ had us playing, this is where I hope (and kind of expect) our "crosses" to buck the trend.

If you employ a high press and catch a team in possession & hit them quickly, the ball you put into the box will often be before they are set defensively and stack the odds more in favour of the attacking team, especially if you select players in the attacking roles that have traits to exploit this like Diedhiou (size/reasonable pace), Weimann (movement) or Eisa (positioning/pace).

Part of the reason 2018 has been so unspectacular for us in my opinion is that because of the amount of games we were playing this high energy game with a small-ish squad, depleted by injuries at the tail end of 2017, we didn't have the energy to continue that way and often City would spend huge periods of matches "resting in possession". When we changed to a possession based team, crosses became less effective and we didn't have the guile often enough to break teams down through other means.

Although we have so far lost two key performers in Reid/Flint & could yet lose Bryan, it feels like we have fleshed out the squad a bit more with players capable of being in the starting XI without weakening it. I'm a little concerned we haven't added one high quality CM but presumably LJ will use Brownhill/Walsh more this season. This season will be more about a selected XI playing the system and anyone wishing to see a consistent starting XI (incl Eliasson playing all games) will be disappointed.

56 minutes ago, Ian M said:

@spudski if we get back to the late 2017 style LJ had us playing, this is where I hope (and kind of expect) our "crosses" to buck the trend.

If you employ a high press and catch a team in possession & hit them quickly, the ball you put into the box will often be before they are set defensively and stack the odds more in favour of the attacking team, especially if you select players in the attacking roles that have traits to exploit this like Diedhiou (size/reasonable pace), Weimann (movement) or Eisa (positioning/pace).

Part of the reason 2018 has been so unspectacular for us in my opinion is that because of the amount of games we were playing this high energy game with a small-ish squad, depleted by injuries at the tail end of 2017, we didn't have the energy to continue that way and often City would spend huge periods of matches "resting in possession". When we changed to a possession based team, crosses became less effective and we didn't have the guile often enough to break teams down through other means.

Although we have so far lost two key performers in Reid/Flint & could yet lose Bryan, it feels like we have fleshed out the squad a bit more with players capable of being in the starting XI without weakening it. I'm a little concerned we haven't added one high quality CM but presumably LJ will use Brownhill/Walsh more this season. This season will be more about a selected XI playing the system and anyone wishing to see a consistent starting XI (incl Eliasson playing all games) will be disappointed.

I agree. The players we have signed will enable us to rotate the starting 11 a lot more so we`re not forced to keep playing knackered/injured/out of form players and hopefully will mean we can press more and for longer.

13 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

It would be much easier  if we were playing Gillingham , Wycombe , Plymouth...

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Very similar to how I see it.

Playing short sharp passing game. Passing through the lines. Slightly more expansive, to be able to play a ball long and wide to draw and open up opponents.

When not in possession, pressing high to force opponents into mistakes. Intercept, then counter attack quickly with the use of wide men to whip balls in quickly to the box if needed.

I also think we have built a squad that is capable of being comfortable in different parts of the pitch. Each player able to rotate a little when needed. It's less rigid and more flexible. 

Lots of varients available, which is good.

Pack I feel will be instrumental in the midfield this season with his vision and passing. I see Walsh as his understudy learning how to make those passes that break through teams.

When Pack doesn't play, we will notice a difference to how we play imo.

22 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ll humour you that either it’s age rather than blindness

But in reality attention seeking posting b*****x 

Grab a pencil , watch the below and make some notes to help yourself and explain lain your theory that for example Gavin & Smith ‘came to nothing’

(Good Luck)

:thumbsup:

I seriously wonder how many games you’ve actually been at

Truly laughable

As much as it was a joy to watch, you can’t seriously be saying that there were no crosses wasted? 

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t think Bournemouth had as strong a team out as they had against us last night (still fairly strong though)

Impressive crowd was because it was free for Season Ticket Holders to go to the game. 

This was the team: Boruc, Francis, Ake, Simpson, Daniels, Brooks (Mahoney, 77), Arter, Gosling, Fraser, Mousset, Wilson (Hyndman, 70). Not sure on the respective strengths?

Archived