IGNORED

Jay Dasilva Signed - NOW CONFIRMED

Shuffle

54 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Lloyd Kelly is not 5ft 10. I had a chat with him last season at Clevedon and he towers over me. I'm 5-9.

Lloyd Kelly is taller than me - so 6 foot minimum.

6 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Has Kelly had much of a pre season. I don't remember him getting mentioned much at all. As much as I want him to push through consistently into first team is he a little way off in fitness anyhow at the moment?

Has had a slight injury. That was why JB started last Saturday.

This would be a good deal imo, Da Silva as our first choice LB since and ease Lloyd in. Aye they’re both young, but Da Silva seems a little more ‘ready’. Good competition or the spot. 

Villa apparently trying to hijack deal, bitter buggers...

Villa would obviously take great delight in screwing us over now (even though JB is not our fault) so wouldn’t be surprised if they do try and pull out all the stops to hi jack it. Let’s hope it is a done deal as some are confirming.  

17 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Ask @BobBobSuperBob or @Davefevs - their constant bullying of my childhood nightmares over that lot made me fight my fears head on. Names look right, and still strike fear into my soul ?

Take consolation on your Banana splits phobia, my younger brothers would hide behind the sofa and cry when it came on and thus was banned in the Isewater household.

( the programme that is , not the sofa ) 

As an adult I often wonder what drugs the producers of this show were on . 

10 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

Gotta give respect to the fact he has an opinion, and is not afraid to go on local radio to air it!

He, and the guy called Mark, both seem to speak very eloquently, with passion and common sense, in the main.

Just my honest opinion.

COYR.

Yes agree mate talks more sense and knows more about football than half the Muppets on here

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm puzzled. Why do we need to loan in a young left back when we have an England under 20 international who is clearly ready for progression from our Academy?

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

We're getting a left back because we're just about to sell a left back. Lloyd Kelly may well be ready for the first team, but probably not a 46 game season. 

Odds on that a loan deal will include guarantees that he will play if available - think I'm right in saying this was the deal when Tammy came here. Kelly might not manage a 46 game season,  but he probably won't manage any games if Da Silva signs. 

There is a real danger that Kelly, if he thinks he is ready for first team football, might not think the academy progression is working for him and be looking for a move where he can get game time. It might not send the right signals to other academy players either, which would be a shame after seeing how Bobby and Joe have progressed.

Don't get me wrong, if this Chelsea lad is all he's cracked up to be he could be a great replacement for Joe, but at the same time I do wonder these days why  a physically strong and quick player, selected for England u20'a is not deemed "old" enough or , presumably, quite good enough to slot into our first team.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Odds on that a loan deal will include guarantees that he will play if available - think I'm right in saying this was the deal when Tammy came here. Kelly might not manage a 46 game season,  but he probably won't manage any games if Da Silva signs. 

There is a real danger that Kelly, if he thinks he is ready for first team football, might not think the academy progression is working for him and be looking for a move where he can get game time. It might not send the right signals to other academy players either, which would be a shame after seeing how Bobby and Joe have progressed.

Don't get me wrong, if this Chelsea lad is all he's cracked up to be he could be a great replacement for Joe, but at the same time I do wonder these days why  a physically strong and quick player, selected for England u20'a is not deemed "old" enough or , presumably, quite good enough to slot into our first team.

Right, but we've previously completely ignored contractual obligations to give players a certain number of games. I don't think this will change much, I expect Kelly knew that no matter what the case was, he wouldn't be first choice left back this season.

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I've just looked this up on a Wikipedia page and confirm .

:yes:

Don't worry Major, Bristol Live (the paper formerly known as the Evil Post) never get anything wrong:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-confirms-lloyd-kelly-265456

6' 3" it is. Transfermarkt et al need an update. I guess he has grown in the near 3 years since he joined us. Maybe he still is !

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Exactly. where's the much vaunted pathway for Kelly? Baffling.

Unless he's had such an immense growth spurt he's outgrown his strength (for now) and he needs to spend this season building himself up? :dunno:

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Unless he's had such an immense growth spurt he's outgrown his strength (for now) and he needs to spend this season building himself up? :dunno:

It would be much more baffling to go into a ~50+ game season with one left back. One who has barely ever played any senior football. 

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

.... but our own fans have posted that we need to replace JB and that Kelly is not up to a full season!

I think the club is between a rock and hard place  and wonder whether it is aware of many fans being disappointed, and worse, about selling 3 players, and demanding top class replacements. Are they trying to avoid the risk of further criticism  if lloyd is played a struggles in any way, giving ammunition for those fans that keep saying we are doing everything "on the cheap".

Personally I would prefer we apply the old adage that if a player is good enough, he's old enough, but if we do select our young academy graduates, will some of our more outspoken fans have the patience to allow youngsters to find their feet, even if it includes them making the odd mistake?

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It would be much more baffling to go into a ~50+ game season with one left back. One who has barely ever played any senior football. 

Well, I know the game may have changed a bit over the decades but one of City's all time legends came into the side without any previous first team football anywhere at the age of 23.

He lasted ten years and 381 games before he was replaced. 

Mike Thresher. 

PS. John Atyeo had only played a couple for Pompey as an amateur and was thrown into the side when he came. You could add Gerry Gow as well. 

If they are good enough, they are old enough and will survive and prosper. 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Quite.

Pushing him in too early, too much too soon in such a scenario could actually be to his detriment. Think in likelihood 19/20 should be when we see the best of Kelly- course he may make the LB slot his own this season, but he needs that competition, needs that cover I think.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Well, I know the game may have changed a bit over the decades but one of City's all time legends came into the side without any previous first team football anywhere at the age of 23.

He lasted ten years and 381 games before he was replaced. 

Mike Thresher. 

I get the ‘if you’re good enough you’re old enough’ argument but it would still be suicide to only have one player in any position with no cover. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And I'm sure posters on here would be raging if he put in a string of mediocre performances. 

"Why's he got a nailed on starting place? He needs competition for his place. It's shocking management to put ourselves in this position."

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To you evidently.

Kelly and DaSilva are approx. the same age - DaSilva 6 months older - and both are England u.20 internationals.

In fact Kelly has 6 caps at that level to DaSilva's 4.

We've just sold one Academy product left back, we've got 2 more coming through in Kelly and Pring.

The obvious thing afaic. (as the club go on so much about the importance of the academy and the pathway) is to play Kelly, give Pring say a dozen games here and there to keep Kelly fresh, and spend the JB money where it's really needed.

Kelly's very nearly 20, not 17, if he's good enough - and we're told he's a future England international - he certainly should be ready to be properly blooded now.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

To you evidently.

Kelly and DaSilva are approx. the same age - DaSilva 6 months older - and both are England u.20 internationals.

In fact Kelly has 6 caps at that level to DaSilva's 4.

We've just sold one Academy product left back, we've got 2 more coming through in Kelly and Pring.

The obvious thing afaic. (as the club go on so much about the importance of the academy and the pathway) is to play Kelly, give Pring say a dozen games here and there to keep Kelly fresh, and spend the JB money where it's really needed.

Kelly's very nearly 20, not 17, if he's good enough - and we're told he's a future England international - he certainly should be ready to be properly blooded now.

So you think it would be a good idea to have one player for 50+ games in one position? What happens when he gets injured on 1st September? 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good to hear, but it would be markedly busier still if he was still posting.

Didn't he continue to be amongst the highest all time posters for years after he left?

I dunno not care and not sure how you come to that conclusion. He chose to leave on his own accord 

Archived