IGNORED

Johnson needs experience behind him

Ciderandred

43 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I noticed that , for a good 15mins at least

We were huffing n puffing but could have been there till Xmas and not scored and I was amazed he wasn’t getting subs warmed up , and at least up occasionally giving encouragement if not making any tactical tweaks or instructions

Strange

Normally he spends a lot of time stood up in technical area 

I wonder if he’s a little annoyed and deflated himself with the position we’re in at the moment. The “difficult summer” comments at the end of last season, followed by an unusually subdued interview after boro, talking about what he did have and comparing it to now, make me think he isn’t particularly happy with some of the decisions being made.

i too noticed from the dolman that he didn’t seem that engaged with the game on Saturday. 

I cant see any scenario where a coach would be happy to sell three of his better players, for £20m+ and not have all of that reinvested in the squad.

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

I wonder if he’s a little annoyed and deflated himself with the position we’re in at the moment. The “difficult summer” comments at the end of last season, followed by an unusually subdued interview after boro, talking about what he did have and comparing it to now, make me think he isn’t particularly happy with some of the decisions being made.

i too noticed from the dolman that he didn’t seem that engaged with the game on Saturday. 

I cant see any scenario where a coach would be happy to sell three of his better players, for £20m+ and not have all of that reinvested in the squad.

Depends bos well you reinvest it too of course- even if you only reinvest say 12-15m...reinvested very well and with great scouting- plus the ability to demonstratably improve players.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He still spent over £36m in three years and you said that he had NOT had a lot to spend ....spending over £36m is spending a lot.... regardless of what it is spent on, it is a lot of money....

I’m not saying £36m  isn’t a lot of money but when you consider pretty average players are going for around £10m  then that’s gives some perspective on the football industry these days.

Of that £36m around a third has got on developing players - an investment. Some will pay off and others won’t but most of it is definately not wasted

10 hours ago, Ciderandred said:

I want him to do well but with two unexperienced assistants behind him as well its no wonder we had no fresh ideas tactics come January/February.

Either Johnson needed/needs a experienced number 2 or director of football type or  Johnson goes other 2 stay and we get experienced manager in.

All 3 have no experience. You only gotta look at games like Sunderland last season 3-0 at home against the second worst team in the league. Chris Coleman EXPERIENCED completely changed the team. He knew our weaknesses. Bang. A truly awful team come back to 3-3 away from home. An experienced manager would of counter acted Coleman ideas.

He is the Manager and it is his job to manage and improve the team. How can you keep him if he is not up to the job. He has had 2 years plus in charge and had spells with Oldham and Barnsley. It is about ability now not experience.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Depends bos well you reinvest it too of course- even if you only reinvest say 12-15m...reinvested very well and with great scouting- plus the ability to demonstratably improve players.

I agree and there’s a lot more detail behind that. His demeanour has definitely changed recently imo.

5 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

You could be right 

I couldn’t work out if he was ok with how we were giving it a go second half as he alluded to in his post match

or as you suggest a bit down and resigned to defeat and a tough season ahead

But Mick was Ipswich boss from 2012 to 2018.....

He took over in November 2012, £3.5m spending was done in the prior window.

Another £3m is from the 18/19 window. 

Gives a comparison that even Hurst has had access to more funds than Mick, largely due to the sale of Waghorn.

It's a club vs club as well as manager vs manager comparison. I think you're looking more into it than I expected anyone too tbh. ?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You could be right 

I couldn’t work out if he was ok with how we were giving it a go second half as he alluded to in his post match

Same here.

something about that interview reminded me of cotts last season with us, although LJ is nowhere near as obvious in showing his frustration.

could be another case of a manager being told in a way to ‘slow down’ and stick to the plan.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not saying £36m  isn’t a lot of money but when you consider pretty average players are going for around £10m  then that’s gives some perspective on the football industry these days.

Of that £36m around a third has got on developing players - an investment. Some will pay off and others won’t but most of it is definately not wasted

Do you mean £12m over 3 years(ish)? (Not £12m a year)

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You could be right 

Hmmmm.....You might be a top ace when sussing out players when you’ve only seen them play twice but not so smart when it comes to sussing out a managers.......

I could tell you exactly why LJ was as he was both during and post the Boro match.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmmm.....You might be a top ace when sussing out players when you’ve only seen them play twice but not so smart when it comes to sussing out a managers.......

I could tell you exactly why LJ was as he was both during and post the Boro match.

You sound like somebody who’s wet their nappy Robbo

Slipping.......

9 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He took over in November 2012, £3.5m spending was done in the prior window.

Another £3m is from the 18/19 window. 

Gives a comparison that even Hurst has had access to more funds than Mick, largely due to the sale of Waghorn.

It's a club vs club as well as manager vs manager comparison. I think you're looking more into it than I expected anyone too tbh. ?

Ipswich spent less than £2m on transfers in 2012 before Mick arrived - and you think they spent £3m in the current 18/19 window? They’ve brought in Jordan Roberts on a free from Crawley and then they’ve signed Gwion Edwards from Peterborough, Ellis Harrison from the gas and a Chelsea u21 player - you think they’ve doshed out £3m on those?! 

But I suppose we agree that Mick had his hands tied more than most managers and he did an amazing job at Ipswich - he stayed for six years and that was after he did an amazing job at both Sunderland and Wolves, not forgetting the RoI and Millwall....

Ipswich spent less than £2m on transfers in 2012 before Mick arrived - and you think they spent £3m in the current 18/19 window? They’ve brought in Jordan Roberts on a free from Crawley and then they’ve signed Gwion Edwards from Peterborough, Ellis Harrison from the gas and a Chelsea u21 player - you think they’ve doshed out £3m on those?! 

But I suppose we agree that Mick had his hands tied more than most managers and he did an amazing job at Ipswich - he stayed for six years and that was after he did an amazing job at both Sunderland and Wolves, not forgetting the RoI and Millwall....

I recognised the undisclosed fee on Kayden Jackson around the believed to be value of around £1m (http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/30/report-ipswich-town-ready-to-sign-kayden-jackson-in-2m-deal-desp/), £2m according to HITC. And agreed, he most definately did.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Please do

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well.......I have no idea over how long the £36m that has been so say spent so I can’t answer that question. 

Over 2 and a half years (Technically £33m as Cotts spend £3m, of which Kodjia was apart).

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Enlighten us then O' esteemed mind reader.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maybe....but you obviously don’t have any understanding of the human psyche..

Now Robbo, lets not treat each other like we're slagging off a rovers fan, or you're stepping down off your perch and fighting us commoners (Stepping down to our level yadda yadda).

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Say it was 3 years, then I think you’re right....£12m...£4m a year...sounds about right.  

2 1/2* years, more accurately £33m (Per point 1), none of which was spend in Jan *shiver* bar £1m on Walsh. So technically more like £11m per season, then chuck in another £10m for Baker and Diedhiou and you're about there.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was referring to super perceptive BobbobSuperBob.........

I might or might not be perceptive Robbo

But

I watch the game

I watch players , individuals ,closely

I watch off the ball 

I watch the warm ups , I watchwhat the coaching staff are doing pre and during games

Im interested ..........

It gives me a chance at least of understanding what’s going on .....

You ought to try watching a little closer you might stop talking drivel

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I might or might not be perceptive Robbo

But

I watch the game

I watch players , individuals ,closely

I watch off the ball 

I watch the warm ups , I watchwhat the coaching staff are doing pre and during games

Im interested ..........

It gives me a chance at least of understanding what’s going on .....

You ought to try watching a little closer you might stop talking drivel

He’s too busy yelling at the PA system 

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok, but you said you could tell @BobBobSuperBob “..exactly why LJ was as he was both during and post the Boro match” - so please, tell us all...

Tbh, I’m a tiny bit pissed right now ( been down the bowls club) and to explain what was going on for LJ during the Boro game would take too much concentration right now.....but if anyone is interested tomorrow I’ll explain then.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tbh, I’m a tiny bit pissed right now ( been down the bowls club) and to explain what was going on for LJ during the Boro game would take too much concentration right now.....but if anyone is interested tomorrow I’ll explain then.

Fair enough R - would love to know what a ‘tiny bit pissed’ is though! 

Archived