IGNORED

Johnson needs experience behind him

Ciderandred

23 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

How much experience did Pulls, O'Driscall and McInnes bring to the club and they were all complete failures so don't get the logic. LJ seems to get a lot of unfair criticism bit I agree things have to improve based on this calender year.

McInnes had little experience - about as much as Johnson before he was gifted our job. O'Driscoll was the right man just at the wrong time. And Pulis is a c ***, ok the wrong man at the wrong time full stop. 

But I take the point - experience isn't the be all and end all. I just think the qualities someone like a McCarthy brings would dovetail with the qualities Johnson has (there are some!) and also compensate for the areas of weakness he has as set out above. 

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Personally I think he's in the wrong job, rather than needing more help. He's a decent coach but not a leader of men. He should be a no.2, a training ground coach.                       

This is what I am beginning to become concerned about - no doubts in his ability to coach technique to players, but I do not think he has the man-management skills of a truly great leader.

To pick up on the Mad Mick suggestions I spent the first half of my life in Suffolk and am still a partial Tractor Boy as long as they aren’t playing City: they were glad to be shot of Mick at the end but for several years he worked wonders with a very limited budget and not too much talent on the pitch. 

No reason he couldn’t do that for us - SL would just need to know when to say goodbye- which maybe isn’t his strong point......

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Please do not tempt fate, given SLs seeming high regard of the Johnsons this could be a frightening prospect!

Indeed! The owner's relationship with the Johnson family may yet bring a further surprise  ?

Especially as GJ may be on borrowed time at Cheltenham.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This sounds like a John Ward situation.  He asked for an experienced assistant (I think he wanted Ray Harford);  the club decided to appoint a Director of football (Benny Lennartson).  The outcome was chaos and relegation, and eight or nine seasons to recover.

well i'm glad someone said it....... ******* disaster... and we'd just beaten Bolton and had turned the corner...??

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Definitely not for me!

The tractor boys couldn’t wait to see the back of MM. 

They'd had enough of his dull and pedestrian football and dour persona.

Plus, he’s not the kind of old school manager that wouldn’t buy into the strategy that SL has in place.

LJ wouldn’t have kept Ipswich in this division with the restraints MM had

IMHO

7 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

He has been in management over 5 years, 280+ games, played for 400+ games surrounded by a family in the football industry. He has had plenty of experience. 

Exactly. Not like he has been managing/coaching for 6 months

Experience he is not short of. If he is up to the job I am sure everyone has an opinion

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

City fans don’t appreciate the restraints LJ works under.

Well he’s been given a shedload of money to spend in his tenure thus far whilst he carefully dismantled the league one champions team when the core of that team was what kept us going last season when the injuries hit us hard. He’s also been supported by our owner whilst embarking on long, long unsuccessful runs, including one of record-breaking proportions .....is there something you know that isn’t common knowledge regarding the ‘restraints’ under which he is operating?

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The amount of times I’ve heard a post match interview on radio Bristol, where LJ moans that the team “dropped to deep”. 

Your the fudgin manager, your standing on the touch line, why didn’t you do something about it then....... has always been my response to the Radio!. 

Yep....there was a point at 0-2 on Saturday where the game had gone flat, we were producing nothing and Boro were going through the motions, just sitting on an easy lead....I glanced across to our dugout and LJ was sat down and he remained that way for a significant amount of time....I want to see our manager/head coach (or whatever he’s called) right at the edge of our technical area, bellowing instructions, making changes, encouraging our chaps, haranguing the 4th official and showing true leadership...too much to ask?

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well he’s been given a shedload of money to spend in his tenure thus far...is there something you know that isn’t common knowledge regarding the ‘restraints’ under which he is operating?

No, he hasn’t been given shed loads of money......at least not to bring in marquee signings largely  because of the wages these guys would be on. 

The money he’s had has been largely invested on developing players although he has brought in several Championship quality players on the back of the income generated by Flnt ect, ect.......that’s one restraint he’s works with.

As part of his remit he’s expected over time to build a squad with a mixture of home grown players and experience brought in from other clubs and that’s another restraint which previous managers failed to adhere to. Add to that the fact he’s expected to show progress season after season - it’s a tough ask but  one that LJ is commitmed to. 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep....there was a point at 0-2 on Saturday where the game had gone flat, we were producing nothing and Boro were going through the motions, just sitting on an easy lead....I glanced across to our dugout and LJ was sat down and he remained that way for a significant amount of time....I want to see our manager/head coach (or whatever he’s called) right at the edge of our technical area, bellowing instructions, making changes, encouraging our chaps, haranguing the 4th official and showing true leadership...too much to ask?

I noticed that , for a good 15mins at least

We were huffing n puffing but could have been there till Xmas and not scored and I was amazed he wasn’t getting subs warmed up , and at least up occasionally giving encouragement if not making any tactical tweaks or instructions

Strange

Normally he spends a lot of time stood up in technical area 

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I think it's less to do with missing key tactical decisions, and more to do with wanting to have a single tactic that the club can perform well in.

It seems like we're doubling-down on possession-based play by eliminating players that offer us a Plan B. I think the theory is that continuous improvement in this approach is what will bring us up the table, rather than playing top trumps with players.

It's not a tactic I'm too fond of - seems similar to what we were doing under SOD, which makes me wonder whether it's LJ pushing this agenda, or whether it's a board decision...

Interesting comments from Gary Neville on MNF tonight about modern football coaching being about not having a Plan B. 

Pep, Poch, Klopp - none of them have a Plan B, they just work out a way of making Plan A better. Seems that might very much be the fashion these days. 

There might be slight tinkering for opposition or injuries but the system is king and stays no matter what - just got to get better at it! 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No, he hasn’t been given shed loads of money......at least not to bring in marquee signings largely  because of the wages these guys would be on. 

The money he’s had has been largely invested on developing players although he has brought in several Championship quality players on the back of the income generated by Flnt ect, ect.......that’s one restraint he’s works with....

Well, as @BobBobSuperBob pointed out recently....he’s spent over £36m on players in three years....

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How much of that has gone on a marquee player? - unless you consider Famara a marquee signing at a club record £5.3m....

Can’t see how that’s relevant, I posted that LJ has been given a shedload of money to spend and you replied saying he hasn’t been given lots of money to spend....£36m+ over three years is quite a lot....

TROPE ALERT! TROPE ALERT! TROPE ALERT!

Whenever we start doing badly it's the assistant management team! I remember this garbage with Keith Millen as assistant. We as fans do not know who does what, and who is good at what behind the scenes. If a manager sits down he's disinterested, dispassionate, if he stands up and shouts he's off putting, unrestrained, embarrassing . If he gets out an umbrella to stop the rain pouring down on him... well... Are we winning? The staff are great. Are we losing? They're trash. There's no nuance here. If we're winning measuring grass is smart, tactical, detail oriented, if we're losing it's pathetic, a waste of time.

I think Lee gets himself into trouble short term by being the company man. But that's a long term career decision. By being easy to work with, by not complaining, he'll last longer and get more opportunities than a Cotterill will. But if you have a longer term strategy, it'll work out nicely. Think about the Zak Vyner decision. Why should Lee give a damn about his development? I want him here, in our squad, to help our first team. He'd be playing now. But what's best for him, and best long term for us is him developing. So Lee should only care about the long term, if he's going to be a part of it. Which he probably thinks he is. Because SL backed him. Which gives him the opportunity to think long term, and make the club better long term.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Can’t see how that’s relevant, I posted that LJ has been given shedload of money to spend and you replied saying he hasn’t been given lots of money to spend....£36m+ over three years is quite a lot....

:disapointed2se:.......Its what the money has gone on, namely the developing players which not only keep the wage bill manageable but have potential that have been a significant part of that money.

Take away £5.3m for Famara of course..... 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Exactly. Not like he has been managing/coaching for 6 months

Experience he is not short of. If he is up to the job I am sure everyone has an opinion

Trouble is his experience is many more losses than wins, bricked it when change was essential, played players he can trust even when they are shite, messed up tactics and refused to change tack before the game is gone, demanded leaders and got rid when they disagreed with him, got rid of the backroom staff because they could do better - always safe in the knowledge that SL would back him - he who spent more money than any manager in City history and has nothing to show for it! 

Now so trusted by those holding the purse strings that they have told him he can’t spend!

Shit on the fans that had to dig even deeper to watch their team with even less chance of matching last seasons partial success.

Is the truth of all the summer speculation that the better players we were linked with did not want to play under LJ ? After all a lot of championship players do know him!

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Definitely not for me!

The tractor boys couldn’t wait to see the back of MM. 

They'd had enough of his dull and pedestrian football and dour persona.

Plus, he’s not the kind of old school manager that wouldn’t buy into the strategy that SL has in place.

Thing is Robbored. Show me other managers who last 5 years in this division.

For comparison. The longest serving manager in our division is Neil Harris at 3 years 162 days.

The fact Mick lasted 5 years at a club thats cost cutting year on year.

Ipswich, since 2012, have spent in the region of £11.5m. For 3 of those season their gross expenditure on transfers was circa £500k (2013-2016).

Ourselves since 2013,  have spent in the region £37m. For 3 of those seasons (under LJ) we have spent £33m. Cotts' spending (2013-2016) amounted to £4.5m (£2m on Kodjia).

On that basis, for Mick to last 5 years at Portman Road should be lauded and to have gotten them to finish 6th (14/15) and 7th (15/16) is exceptional.

Especially with a net spend between taking over and that play-off appearance being below £1m.

I think while drab, lack of investment compared to other teams meant he had to be staunch and pragmatic in their approach.

8 minutes ago, NorfolkInChance said:

People can analyse all they want.  He's supposed to be a bright young coach but I don't see what he brings to the party?  Drones, tools for measuring the ******* grass, etc but 4 wins in the league from **** knows when is the way to measure it surely?

Lots of tools for the training ground and pre-match / post-match analysis.

He is missing a tool or someone to help him during the 90 minutes.  That’s one of the two areas I’m critical of him...his reading of the actual game.  The other is his recruitment but I do think he’s starting to get more of his own way on the incomings.  I still think we did reasonable business in the summer, but it’s against the context of selling 5 players, 3 of our best, and 2 squad players.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:disapointed2se:.......Its what the money has gone on, namely the developing players which not only keep the wage bill manageable but have potential that have been a significant part of that money.

Agree, the problem is is he doesn’t have a season or two to develop them into Flint or Bryan.  No disrespect to Reid but I think Weimann is more than an adequate replacement....and if he does develop them, they’ll be sold.

Just now, Fuber said:

For comparison. The longest serving manager in our division is Neil Harris at 3 years 162 days.

Ipswich, since 2012, have spent in the region of £11.5m. For 3 of those season their gross expenditure on transfers was circa £500k (2013-2016).

Ourselves since 2013,  have spent in the region £37m. For 3 of those seasons (under LJ) we have spent £33m. Cotts' spending (2013-2016) amounted to £4.5m (£2m on Kodjia).

On that basis, for Mick to last 5 years at Portman Road should be lauded and to have gotten them to finish 6th (14/15) and 7th (15/16) is exceptional.

Especially with a net spend between taking over and that play-off appearance being below £1m.

I think while drab, lack of investment compared to other teams meant he had to be staunch and pragmatic in their approach.

He’d be a different manager here with £10-12m a season to use.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Mick only spent £5m on transfer fees in 6 years at Ipswich....

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He still spent over £36m in three years and you said that he had NOT had a lot to spend ....spending over £36m is spending a lot.... regardless of what it is spent on, it is a lot of money....

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Mick only spent £5m on transfer fees in 6 years at Ipswich....

"Ipswich, since 2012" not just Mick BS4.

"Especially with a net spend between taking over and that play-off appearance being below £1m."

^That's more impressive imho.

Archived