IGNORED

Tammy

Redmycolour

1 minute ago, bris red said:

‘We HAVE to finish higher than eleventh’ 

‘We stood second in the table in December and we know we can be up there’

Its just this sort of talk coupled with selling your best players and replacing them with average that gets on mine and other supporters nerves.. Does SL really think this current squad can be ‘up there’ this season? 

I get where you are coming from, I think he is being overly optimistic but surely he has to be? Isn't it much better saying he wants us to finish top 10 than saying he wants us to stay up?

We were always going to sell Reid, Flint and Bryan, it's not about SL not being ambitious enough it's more because we knew this would be the only time we'd be able to get the money we did for the three of them, and for a club like us £25 million is a massive amount of money. In addition, I think we've replaced them well, not with 'average'

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Is that it??? Really????

So SL stating that he wanted to finish higher than 11th  AND asking whether we've learnt a lesson from last season?

Shit, after that, I'd not only want to get a ST but a Corporate Box for me and my mates.

Moving on ......

Conveniently missing the ‘we were second in December and know we can be up there’ line.. yeah right Steve im sure we can be up near the top 2 again with this squad.. christ i want what ever he’s smoking..

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Depends how you measure it all- in FFP terms if we lost £18.4m last year (an estimated figure I've seen provided by @Davefevs ) and £6.4m in 16/17, then you knock off £6m from 16/17 for allowable costs and it's unclear whether our potential losses in 17/18 of £18.4m were before allowable costs or after- if it's the latter then I estimate our 2 year loss to have been £18.8m, if it's before then it's £12.8m.

If it is indeed the latter then we could have gambled and pushed the boat out a little this season to make losses of up to £26.2m in the one season- though failing promotion would mean a big fire sale to break even in 19/20. Unless of course, 17/18 was us pushing the boat out a bit.

That £18.4m will be what I’d expect to see in the p&l, so pre-FFP allowances, so take off £5-6m....you can do the same with the £6.4m from 16/17.

It does give us scope to go for a bit more.  But every season you go over the average £13m loss per annum, you hamstring yourself for future years.  I guess the best approach is go £0m, £0m, £39m loss....go for it every 3 years!

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I should correct myself, Tammy is actually reported to be on £50k a week.

The fact that Sheffield United might end up paying £35k a week, assuming Villa aren't paying any part, doesn't necessarily mean they can afford to, they may be gambling, though I imagine they are using the Brooks money.

We on the other hand seem to be clawing back some of last year's losses so a potential £10m+ on Tammy for one season seems a non starter.

I heard it was £25k plus £25k per game....and Tammy wanted compensation from Swansea for him missing potential games for Chelsea, hence Swansea paid a loan fee £5m, covered Tammy’s wages in full, and paid a one off fee to Tammy to compensate him for no Chelsea appearance fees.

Could all be crap though!

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Would you agree that SL just says things without actually meaning or thinking them through then? Because how can this squad realistically look to be ‘up there’ when you have so much money being spent and talent being bought by other clubs? 

I think he has done in the past, sometimes coinciding with reckless spending and other short term thinking. More recently he has been more sensible and circumspect imo as simply mentioning the word promotion can lead some people to take it as a promise.

It is certainly difficult to compete financially, especially with clubs who don't give a toss about FFP, though others argue that that is an excuse, which means SL is in a bit of a no win position.

Personally I think it's a pretty good rule of business to seek to under promise and over deliver.

As others have suggested, I think the purse strings are more likely to be loosened next summer, though not recklessly. In the meantime I will settle for a comfortable mid table position.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Conveniently missing the ‘we were second in December and know we can be up there’ line.. yeah right Steve im sure we can be up near the top 2 again with this squad.. christ i want what ever he’s smoking..

So the Owner stated that he thinks that we can be "up there" and this is because he wants to sell ST's?

I suggest you stop smoking whatever it is you are because this is a guy who's  a Billionaire - not you and after 4 games and a mid table place - you know shit about where we'll be as do the rest of us.

Yes- I wish he'd spend trillions on a new team but we are what we are and your point was that he lied in order to sell ST's which you still have not proven.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I think he has done in the past, sometimes coinciding with reckless spending and other short term thinking. More recently he has been more sensible and circumspect imo as simply mentioning the word promotion can lead some people to take it as a promise.

It is certainly difficult to compete financially, especially with clubs who don't give a toss about FFP, though others argue that that is an excuse, which means SL is in a bit of a no win position.

Personally I think it's a pretty good rule of business to seek to under promise and over deliver.

As others have suggested, I think the purse strings are more likely to be loosened next summer, though not recklessly. In the meantime I will settle for a comfortable mid table position.

Good post- particularly agree with this bit.

He is in a no-win position really. Some accuse him of lacking the ambition because of the cash thing, others accuse him of unrealistic expectations. Doubtless if he did a Forest, there would be people accusing him of putting the future of the club at risk.

Genuinely, no way he's going to be able to please everyone any time soon in this context.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

If anyone had said at this time last summer that we could have been in the top 2 in December, beat premier league teams for fun, knock Utd out of a cup and put up a fine showing over two legs versus Man City, you’d have wanted all the things they were smoking!! Strange things can happen when a team starts performing better than the sum of it’s parts.

last summer was deemed a disappointing window by many too.

(although, yes, we do seem to have taken a backward step and don’t look like last seasons performances. But the point is anything does seem possible in this game)

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Is that it??? Really????

So SL stating that he wanted to finish higher than 11th  AND asking whether we've learnt a lesson from last season?

Shit, after that, I'd not only want to get a ST but a Corporate Box for me and my mates.

Moving on ......

I too am finding it difficult to find the alleged lies he told in the above interview. Perhaps I'm not skilled enough in reading between the lines.

30 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

He played a lot of prem games last season would make sense for him to go to one of the favourites for promotion. 

P.S The use of these new emojis is jokes ?

Interesting though that no PL club seems to have been in for him. Can't help thinking he would have progressed more had he gone to Newcastle and learned from Rafa.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Now that we've got two Chelsea loanees, aren't we limited to two loans from any one club?

I believe we can have 4 loans from one club, only 2 of whom can be over 23?(Da Siva & Kalas) so we could still have Tammy  but I'm sure his future is sadly not with us.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Interesting though that no PL club seems to have been in for him. Can't help thinking he would have progressed more had he gone to Newcastle and learned from Rafa.

I understand Rafas hands were tied concerning the fee, pretty sure Tammy wanted to go.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Dont spout that you want ‘progression’ is mine and other people’s gripe. We cant compete with many clubs at this level when it comes to wages, thats fair enough. Im not advocating Lansdown spends anymore of ‘his’ money, but please Steve shut up about wanting Prem football its just playing us all for idiots..Top players at this level want 25 k a week plus, we cant/dont want to afford it so lets just accept what we are a middle of the road championship club who will probably be involved in relegation battles.. 

The more i think about it the more LJ becomes irrelevant in all this for me, you cant hate on a man who hasn’t got the tools to do the job. Its a shame really but the people at the top dont want it enough.

Why the need to hate anyone ? Get things real. 

Has anyone considered that SL may want the Prem more than any of us?

But because he is aware of all the intricacies of our finances and the rules that have to be followed, he makes statements like those that have been posted above. He has a dream, the same dream as many of us also have, maybe for different reasons, but does not want to dampen the dreams of others.

Twenty years ago, if he had the wealth he has now, he would have been able to just throw money around to make the dream come true, but FFP makes that route impossible today.

We are a football club who have under achieved through my lifetime. I spoke recently with someone inside the game, who said that BCFC had been a shambles for such a long time that now we are playing catch up with many smaller clubs who put their houses in order long before we started.

Patience is needed except that some of us, due to age, are understandably impatient.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Has anyone considered that SL may want the Prem more than any of us?

But because he is aware of all the intricacies of our finances and the rules that have to be followed, he makes statements like those that have been posted above. He has a dream, the same dream as many of also have, maybe for different reasons, but does not want to dampen the dreams of others.

Twenty years ago, if he had the wealth he has now, he would have been able to just throw money around to make the dream come true, but FFP makes that route impossible today.

We are a football club who have under achieved through my lifetime. I spoke recently with someone inside the game, who said that BCFC had been a shambles for such a long time that now we are playing catch up with many smaller clubs who put their houses in order long before we started.

Patience is needed except that some of us, due to age, are understandably impatient.

Funnily enough- that is an approximate quote from SL in that he recently stated along the lines of " I'm not getting any younger and want to see City play in the PL".

If it was purely a matter of buying the title then I'd guess he'd do it but it isn't . 

I also feel that LJ has been presented a situation where his best players have left and then having to replace them with ,atm, seemingly lesser quality yet being expected by many to challenge for greater success than last season . 

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Swansea paid circa £10m plus wages last year.  It’s never happening.

Was laced with sarcasm and I agree, was for people saying paying his wages for the season wouldn't be a big outlay and we're being silly not going for it. 

So SL spends millions, we have losses of say £25-30m on getting promotion that’s WITH player sales included. Imho that’s the sort of money people are wanting SL to plough in and the sort of money it’ll take for short term success. 

We go up, brilliant. We’re in the prem but like Fulham and Wolves we’ll probably have to break even with the TV money etc to build a team strong enough to stay in the prem. If we go down in the first season then trouble will follow shortly after, players on long contracts of high value. I like what we’re doing as a club. Our long term future is bigger and more important than a short term success. 

I know I’ve taken the pee about you posting about it in the past, but thanks for the FFP knowledge @Mr Popodopolous - goes a long way to explaining our recruitment strategy.

It’s a very complex concept and I’ve never bothered to try and get a full understanding, but it obviously has a huge impact on clubs like ours who are probably too big for L1, not a top end Champ club but also no parachute payments.

I think it would be really worthwhile if there was a pinned ‘idiots guide to FFP’ thread written by yourself so that everyone can understand it a little better.

10 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I understand Rafas hands were tied concerning the fee, pretty sure Tammy wanted to go.

Geordies were giving Tammy stick for choosing Swansea when ultimately he had no say in the matter.

Reportedly he would prefer a loan to Holland or Italy now but again Chelsea will decide where he goes.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know I’ve taken the pee about you posting about it in the past, but thanks for the FFP knowledge @Mr Popodopolous - goes a long way to explaining our recruitment strategy.

It’s a very complex concept and I’ve never bothered to try and get a full understanding, but it obviously has a huge impact on clubs like ours who are probably too big for L1, not a top end Champ club but also no parachute payments.

I think it would be really worthwhile if there was a pinned ‘idiots guide to FFP’ thread written by yourself so that everyone can understand it a little better.

Agreed, I have suggested the same before.

In all seriousness it would save the likes of the estimable Mr P and others having to keep explaining it.

There is a minority of posters who refuse to acknowledge its existence, let alone make any attempt to understand it and what it means for our club, who could just be directed to a pinned thread.

• Admin

I’ve commented before, that in the Championship, FFP is skewed by parachute payments, there should at least be a clause that an owner, benefactor or whoever, should be able to inject funds up to the level of the highest parachute payments, without it affecting FFP.  That at least goes some way to level the playing field, at least for those clubs who have owners or potential owners willing to splash the cash.  

I think the parachute payments are such an unjust system, it certainly ensures that the recent failures (with exceptions) can take all the best players and artificially inflate the salaries paid in the Championship.

Archived