IGNORED

Jokanovic - Good match for City ?

Major Isewater

11 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Isn't the standard response here 'No Championship experience'.

Which clearly means there are very few potential appointments, given any manager we get has to have championship experience to appease the few?

Yes he has, he took Watford into the premier league as their boss and then took Fulham into the premier league as manager...quite a bit of championship experience there....

12 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Fulham's Serb coach is under pressure after spending 100 million on players and the Cottagers finding themselves at the foot of the Prem with an horrendous defensive record .

Hypothetically who would want him at Ashton Gate if LJ decided to leave ? 

Yes please, he has promoted two clubs to the premier league as a manager....in double-quick time...

15 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I always find it easier to get behind a vision if there’s a time scale connected to it.  What target are we working towards?

It's a lot longer than 3 windows.

Unfortunately the Club see fit to say such things and the fans will quote it.

It's not rocket science to work out as a fan the realities of our blueprint.

It is far from what some are expecting.

Imo...under the Clubs blueprint..unless we are highly lucky one season, we will be the next Ipswich.

Stick with LJ like Ipswich did with the Irish....then we will become established and sometimes flirting with the play offs.

That's in a results perspective. I tink we will play more attractive football.

But with the incessant rise of parachute payments to Clubs, unless we gain promotion, each season will become harder.

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Well they don’t mention an infinite time scale when they increase the price of my season ticket and invite me to renew months before the season ends.

SL is fooling himself if he believes a modern Championship club with any ounce of ambition can be self sufficient without a large slice of luck and promotion.   Perhaps Steve has lost his spark and enthusiasm and is happy to cut his losses and settle for mid table safety and mediocrity. His money, his call but if mediocrity is all we can expect for the foreseeable future perhaps it’s time for him to sale up.

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sorry Joe, what does that mean? Do you mean his Watford and Fulham teams in the championship had lots of players capable of making the step up? I don’t understand that comment....apologies 

No meant most are still in the premier league now. Obviously with just being promoted was going to be the case with Fulham but think most that Watford side are still playing premier league football now. Not trying to diminish his acheivements. My point was that he wouldn’t have the same talent here already nor the money those clubs had

1 hour ago, spudski said:

From our own Website...

Our goal is to become the premier club of the South West.

Have I missed something Spud, or haven’t we already achieved that?! Surely the powers that be don’t think that any one of Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City, Yeovil Town or Bristol Rovers are ahead of us?! Even if we include Gloucestershire and Wiltshire I doubt that Cheltenham Town or Swindon Town would claim to be the top club in the south west...what a tame ambition...

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a lot longer than 3 windows.

Unfortunately the Club see fit to say such things and the fans will quote it.

It's not rocket science to work out as a fan the realities of our blueprint.

It is far from what some are expecting.

Imo...under the Clubs blueprint..unless we are highly lucky one season, we will be the next Ipswich.

Stick with LJ like Ipswich did with the Irish....then we will become established and sometimes flirting with the play offs.

That's in a results perspective. I tink we will play more attractive football.

But with the incessant rise of parachute payments to Clubs, unless we gain promotion, each season will become harder.

Sell your best players to break even and you will get caught out in the end.  Just look at Barnsley.

meanwhile as fans we sit through 3/4 months of good football every few seasons hoping we get a lucky year.

last season was a massive opportunity to get out this league and this season I think the standard is worse so it’s a massive opportunity once again

I think with the players we have at our disposal, a decent manager, settled team, tactics and experienced coaching team  would get us in or around the playoffs.  Unfortunately I can’t see LJ achieving this come May and sadly most connected to the club and some fans will be dancing in the street if we finish mid table.  I don’t understand why we’ve all been so warn down and happy to settle for mediocrity.

Football is all about passion, excitement, great Saturday’s spent with your mates and family,  dreams and hope.  We seem to have forgotten that and we are just going through the motions.

5 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Sell your best players to break even and you will get caught out in the end.  Just look at Barnsley.

meanwhile as fans we sit through 3/4 months of good football every few seasons hoping we get a lucky year.

last season was a massive opportunity to get out this league and this season I think the standard is worse so it’s a massive opportunity once again

I think with the players we have at our disposal, a decent manager, settled team, tactics and experienced coaching team  would get us in or around the playoffs.  Unfortunately I can’t see LJ achieving this come May and sadly most connected to the club and some fans will be dancing in the street if we finish mid table.  I don’t understand why we’ve all been so warn down and happy to settle for mediocrity.

Football is all about passion, excitement, great Saturday’s spent with your mates and family,  dreams and hope.  We seem to have forgotten that and we are just going through the motions.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Have I missed something Spud, or haven’t we already achieved that?! Surely the powers that be don’t think that any one of Plymouth Argyle, Torquay United, Exeter City, Yeovil Town or Bristol Rovers are ahead of us?! Even if we include Gloucestershire and Wiltshire I doubt that Cheltenham Town or Swindon Town would claim be the top club in the south west...what a tame ambition...

Both the first team and the Academy are working towards a common goal to create a squad built on a core of home-grown talent.

That's the philosophy chaps...

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No meant most are still in the premier league now. Obviously with just being promoted was going to be the case with Fulham but think most that Watford side are still playing premier league football now. Not trying to diminish his acheivements. My point was that he wouldn’t have the same talent here already nor the money those clubs had

The Watford one is interesting, quite a lot of managers had failed, or more accurately under the Pozzo's been sacked/mutually consented out the door. Think they had 3-4 managers that season before him,. so yeah he did well to come and hit the ground running culminating with promotion- that said the tie up with Granada and Udinese surely helped Watford too.

@spudski That is the philosophy yes, but a bit of flexibility needs to be built in IMO. I don't fully share the downbeat post of General Zod, think financially Summer 2019 may see a chance open up, not specifically about us but in the Championship generally- football financial forecasts think a lot of sides could hit the buffers in this division financially by that time. Mike Thornton and Kieran Maguire are perhaps 2 who would concur.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Watford one is interesting, quite a lot of managers had failed, or more accurately under the Pozzo's been sacked/mutually consented out the door. Think they had 3-4 managers that season before him,. so yeah he did well to come and hit the ground running culminating with promotion- that said the tie up with Granada and Udinese surely helped Watford too.

@spudski That is the philosophy yes, but a bit of flexibility needs to be built in IMO. I don't fully share the downbeat post of General Zod, think financially Summer 2019 may see a chance open up, not specifically about us but in the Championship generally- football finance forecasts think a lot of sides will hit the buffers in this division financially by that time. Mike Thornton and Kieran Maguire are perhaps 2 who would concur.

The whole FFP system and what's understood on this forum and the Evening post is a season behind....check it out properly. We are saving and in the first year of a new FFP 3 year tenure......watch this space to new recruits in the coming season.

It's a joke how the internet has become God and so real.

Don't believe everything quoted on this forum until you check it out for yourself.

So much has been said recently based on an article that is factually incorrect.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Both the first team and the Academy are working towards a common goal to create a squad built on a core of home-grown talent.

With under 8% of the current first team squad being home grown that philosophy looks pretty flawed as it stands and I can’t see it improving a great deal in the near to medium future.  It may be a wish but in the real world it just isn’t going to happen. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

With under 8% of the current first team squad being home grown that philosophy looks pretty flawed         as it stands and I can’t see it improving a great deal in the near to medium future.  It may be a wish but in the real world it just isn’t going to happen. 

With respect...when the blueprint was put in place...any right minded fan, regardless of manager could work out that it was a fruitless task on achieving promotion within 3 windows.

10 years more likely.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

With respect...when the blueprint was put in place...any right minded fan, regardless of manager could work out that it was a fruitless task on achieving promotion within 3 windows.

10 years more likely.

I haven’t said anything about the manager or transfer window ‘with respect’ but thanks for the condescension. 

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

And do you think that this philosophy is ever achievable? 

Let’s suppose that we do manage to turn out a couple of homegrown players each season.  They will be snapped up by bigger clubs before we get a chance to build a team around them.  That’s the way modern football is, if homegrown players are good enough they will want to move to where the ambition, profile and money is.

Surely the philosophy is flawed chaps

Maybe the ‘philosophy’ is just a way tricking the fan base into accepting mediocrity.

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

And do you think that this philosophy is ever achievable? 

Let’s suppose that we do manage to turn out a couple of homegrown players each season.  They will be snapped up by bigger clubs before we get a chance to build a team around them.  That’s the way modern football is, if homegrown players are good enough they will want to move to where the ambition, profile and money is.

Surely the philosophy is flawed chaps

Maybe the ‘philosophy’ is just a way tricking the fan base into accepting mediocrity.

Bingo ??

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

I haven’t said anything about the manager or transfer window ‘with respect’ but thanks for the condescension. 

Hey! leave Spudski alone - hes’s the best poster on here by a country mile. Talks more sense than anyone and my advice is always read his posts if you regard a well thought out and well balaced view.

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wasn't meant to come across that way mate... apologies... unfortunately I have a problem in putting my thoughts across with some, without sounding like a knob. I'm better face to face.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wasn't meant to come across that way mate... apologies... unfortunately I have a problem in putting my thoughts across with some, without sounding like a knob. I'm better face to face.

No worries Spud and thank you.  Cheers!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Indeed...and so many fans fail to realise, except or simply understand what we are doing as a Club.

I would actually appreciate SL or LJ doing a comprehensive interview on tape actually reiterating the clubs philosophy.

Plus...I think it would help LJ with the fan base if he actually showed more emotion when interviewed.

Whether it's a win or a loss...it's exactly the same emotion. whilst I appreciate a more level headed approach...and it's respected amongst his peers, when it comes to an emotional fan base, they often require an emotional response.

This is why Cotts and Warnock do well with football fans...they are tuned in to how many feel. They may not be right...but it does help, whether you agree with it or not.

It's the same reason why much of the population will watch all the soaps, Jeremy Kyle, Love Island and such bullshit...it satisfies certain parts of the masses.

Sad as it is...TV viewing figures don't lie. Same with football.

From our own Website...

Our vision: a first team squad built on a core of home-grown talent

Our goal is to become the premier club of the South West. We aim to be innovative in our practices in order to achieve sustainable success at the highest level. Both the first team and the Academy are working towards a common goal to create a squad built on a core of home-grown talent.

To achieve our goals, we will:

• Continue to develop and optimise our talent
  • Identify and attract talent into our system
  • Plan and build our new training ground with first class facilities and the aim to strengthen our club
  • To develop and maintain a structure with clear role profiles, responsibilities and performance measures to track progress against our objectives

Fantastic - in no way having a go Spud - but that says all we need to know.

Lower Championship / Higher league 1 is the 'ambition'

I have not delved into our website that far, but if that is from there - well, we know where we stand now.

' Core of Home Grown Talent' - that will work then.......

' The premier club of the South West' - bet Yeovil, Plymouth etc are quaking in their boots......

#toocosy  And a new one .... #deluded

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Indeed...and so many fans fail to realise, except or simply understand what we are doing as a Club.

I would actually appreciate SL or LJ doing a comprehensive interview on tape actually reiterating the clubs philosophy.

Plus...I think it would help LJ with the fan base if he actually showed more emotion when interviewed.

Whether it's a win or a loss...it's exactly the same emotion. whilst I appreciate a more level headed approach...and it's respected amongst his peers, when it comes to an emotional fan base, they often require an emotional response.

This is why Cotts and Warnock do well with football fans...they are tuned in to how many feel. They may not be right...but it does help, whether you agree with it or not.

It's the same reason why much of the population will watch all the soaps, Jeremy Kyle, Love Island and such bullshit...it satisfies certain parts of the masses.

Sad as it is...TV viewing figures don't lie. Same with football.

From our own Website...

Our vision: a first team squad built on a core of home-grown talent

Our goal is to become the premier club of the South West. We aim to be innovative in our practices in order to achieve sustainable success at the highest level. Both the first team and the Academy are working towards a common goal to create a squad built on a core of home-grown talent.

To achieve our goals, we will:

• Continue to develop and optimise our talent
  • Identify and attract talent into our system
  • Plan and build our new training ground with first class facilities and the aim to strengthen our club
  • To develop and maintain a structure with clear role profiles, responsibilities and performance measures to track progress against our objectives

Of course more fans will be tuned in with the likes of Cotts and Warnock because they have had success in their careers if they were not successful at clubs then fans would not take to them just like lee,at some point fans see through the bs and call it as so

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Hypothetically or not...you can quote any manager/coach and his credentials...however most clubs don't have a blueprint like ours, and not many would agree to it...so it's all useless thinking about it.

Our system is widely used in world football and increasingly so in the U.K. when the time comes we will have absolutely no problem finding a replacement for LJ  who will willingly work within the framework. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Our system is widely used in world football and increasingly so in the U.K. when the time comes we will have absolutely no problem finding a replacement for LJ  who will willingly work within the framework. 

Is our system widely used in world football?   Care to give some examples?

Would say it is used in world football more.

Part Italian so I also watch a decent amount of Serie A- or did until it moved off BT Sports! Anyway, some solid sides there tend to buy to sell, not so much with youth products though but more excellent scouting, sell on and replace- clearly youth kicks in too, mixed approach.

Sampdoria a prime example. Roma a higher profile case in last 2 years, Atalanta look like they have a good generation coming through their academy- or had should I say, their stars naturally picked off last 2 years by Juventus and the Milan clubs.

Closer to home, Southampton, Brentford. Back in Europe, believe Sevilla have been rather big on Player Trading and yeah have done quite well over the years!

Sure there's loads more examples around the place, that's just a few off the top of head. Think Sampdoria especially have made a profit on a lot of players or at least no loss on any made for about 2 years- well I say all but definitely a higher proportion than the average!

@spudski Each to their own on FFP- I'm going to take a bit of a hiatus from it for a while tbh.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams in the top 5 leagues of the world ( The Championship ) being one of them, have a core of their first team squad developed through their Academy with  'home grown talent'.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams in the top 5 leagues of the world ( The Championship ) being one of them, have a core of their first team squad developed through their Academy with  'home grown talent'.

Very few I’d imagine Spudski and why I asked the major to back up his statement.

16 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In fact your brain  saw exactly what it  wanted to see . 

It took the easy route , the one where the responses are already programmed. 

Ask yourself this question, 

who's in control ? You or your brain ?

Fascinating stuff psychology .

"I've changed my mind, socks and underpants" (Spike Milligan - "Bridge Over the River Wye")

Archived