IGNORED

Jokanovic - Good match for City ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Is our system widely used in world football?   Care to give some examples?

To be clearer , the implication was that we wouldn't get another coach to slot into our system which is absolute rubbish . If LJ left tomorrow there would be a list of candidates as long as your arm willing to take up the mantle.

What is our system ?

A head coach responsible for the playing side from youth through to first team .

A recruitment team who continuously scout and compile dossiers on possible future targets .

The money men who control the finances.

Of course I don't know the intricacies of LJ's contract but the days of the manager who ran the club have gone, apart from some lower league outfits  , as the demands on the manager are impossible if he is to maintain the maximum performance of the first team. 

Care to give me an example of a top club employing a Terry Cooperesque style manager ? 

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

To be clearer , the implication was that we wouldn't get another coach to slot into our system which is absolute rubbish . If LJ left tomorrow there would be a list of candidates as long as your arm willing to take up the mantle.

What is our system ?

A head coach responsible for the playing side from youth through to first team .

A recruitment team who continuously scout and compile dossiers on possible future targets .

The money men who control the finances.

Hmmm........I get the impression that you don’t fully grasp SLs strategy (or blueprint as Spudski calls it ).

It’s more involved than the three points you make particularly LJs role.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm........I get the impression that you don’t fully grasp SLs strategy (or blueprint as Spudski calls it ).

It’s more involved than the three points you make particularly LJs role.

I grasp enough to know that we won't have any problem at all recruiting our next coach when LJ leaves . 

Good enough for you ? 

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I grasp enough to know that we won't have any problem at all recruiting our next coach when LJ leaves . 

Well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree Major. 

Believe me, there aren’t many head coaches out there that would work under the same strategy as LJ.

22 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Would be the type of appointment that would be a clear statement of intent that we’re serious about getting out of this league....so I can’t see that ever happening

Some are intent on saying that LJ will get us out of this league, which direction I'll leave up to your opinion.

2 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Athletic Bilboa is a great example since 1912 they have insisted that you can only play for them if you were born or trained as a footballer in a Basque (local) region.

Its not done them any harm alongside Barca and Real they’re the only otherwise to never have been relegated from La Liga.

Its well worth reading up on. 

That's a fantastic example- had forgotten all about them but their model sounds pretty unique- and fairly successful too.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams in the top 5 leagues of the world ( The Championship ) being one of them, have a core of their first team squad developed through their Academy with  'home grown talent'.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Very few I’d imagine Spudski and why I asked the major to back up his statement.

This is listed as the academy aim, the academy haven't achieved it yet. Every club academy aims for their players to get into the first team, if it's not then whats the point in having one? https://www.bcfc.co.uk/academy/

I don't think it's as much of an alien idea for teams to aim towards as you two are making it out to be. 

Thing is, even we don't currently have a core of our first team squad being from our academy. Only Kelly & O'Leary, even then if we didn't have a GK injury crisis, O'Leary wouldn't be listed as one of the two 'core' players. 

3 from the top 4 in the championship all have a few academy players in their match day squads each week. Haven't looked at any more, but expect it's a similar theme throughout the league.

Leeds - Peacock Farrell, Phillips, Pearce 

Norwich - Lewis, Cantwell, Aarons

Boro - Fry, Wing, Tavernier (Could even say Downing)

I'm with @Major Isewater that we'd have absolutely no trouble in finding a new head coach to take the reigns here & operate in a similar way. 

31 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

This is listed as the academy aim, the academy haven't achieved it yet. Every club academy aims for their players to get into the first team, if it's not then whats the point in having one? https://www.bcfc.co.uk/academy/

I don't think it's as much of an alien idea for teams to aim towards as you two are making it out to be. 

Thing is, even we don't currently have a core of our first team squad being from our academy. Only Kelly & O'Leary, even then if we didn't have a GK injury crisis, O'Leary wouldn't be listed as one of the two 'core' players. 

3 from the top 4 in the championship all have a few academy players in their match day squads each week. Haven't looked at any more, but expect it's a similar theme throughout the league.

I'm with @Major Isewater that we'd have absolutely no trouble in finding a new head coach to take the reigns here & operate in a similar way. 

Those clubs you mention are much further down the development line than City are. The SL strategy has only been in place since LJ took over.

Btw - I never said in was a new SL idea but it is new to Bristol City and unfortunately too many City fans don’t appreciate that.

36 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

As Robbo said mate...plus I'm not decrying the idea...in fact I applaud it.

However... it's new to City and SL needed a man he could trust to implement it all and put it in place and have a staff that were all working in the same direction and for one another.

My only doubt is that I fear Ashton has too much influence in who we bring in. I'm sure he's fine at the financial and legal stuff...contracts, accounts, budgeting etc, but I'm less sure of his credentials when it comes to players targeted. Just a hunch.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams in the top 5 leagues of the world ( The Championship ) being one of them, have a core of their first team squad developed through their Academy with  'home grown talent'.

The most obvious example would be Spain. The fidelity concept is a national strategy that encourages clubs to create homegown talent. Virtually every club has a significant core of homegrown players in its XI. Barcelona regularly have 3/4, Espanyol more as do Seville, Athletico etc.

All European leagues have lower % of foreign players v the UK. In league after league there are teams producing significant numbers of homegrown players.

The smaller Italian clubs have to because they cannot buy them in.

The Netherlands may not be a top league but the development of youth players to the XI at Ajax, Feynoord and on through the Err ...the league I cannot spell is a consistent over a prolonged period.

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The most obvious example would be Spain. The fidelity concept is a national strategy that encourages clubs to create homegown talent. Virtually every club has a significant core of homegrown players in its XI. Barcelona regularly have 3/4, Espanyol more as do Seville, Athletico etc.

All European leagues have lower % of foreign players v the UK. In league after league there are teams producing significant numbers of homegrown players.

The smaller Italian clubs have to because they cannot buy them in.

The Netherlands may not be a top league but the development of youth players to the XI at Ajax, Feynoord and on through the Err ...the league I cannot spell is a consistent over a prolonged period.

I think it also helps, that most nations in Europe have more qualified coaches at grass roots level than the UK as well.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think it also helps, that most nations in Europe have more qualified coaches at grass roots level than the UK as well.

I would agree. The UK does not have a long standing coaching culture and stretegy … A topic for another day. How Bristol City can fill that void locally.

17 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Fantastic - in no way having a go Spud - but that says all we need to know.

Lower Championship / Higher league 1 is the 'ambition'

I have not delved into our website that far, but if that is from there - well, we know where we stand now.

' Core of Home Grown Talent' - that will work then.......

' The premier club of the South West' - bet Yeovil, Plymouth etc are quaking in their boots......

#toocosy  And a new one .... #deluded

Where did you read or hear that? 

Archived