IGNORED

Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day 18

Septic Peg

Dirty Leeds

Good morning to all except Luke Ayling whom I hope stood on an upturned plug in the night.

A special shout out the guys and gals currently aboard the Peter Carol express somewhere on the M1. Getting up at stupid o'clock on a cold and miserable november saturday for a 7 hour round trip takes considerable strength. I duly doff my cap.

So it's us v Dirty Leeds. I've always wondered where that particular moniker came from as it's well accepted by Leeds fans themselves as well as other clubs. 

I found this online:

Leeds v Everton - 54 years ago... 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/the-incendiary-clash-which-spawned-the-label-dirty-leeds-1-6972351

Essentially, from the KO, both sides started taking lumps out of one another, with Leeds player Billy Bremner being a nuisance from the opening second and an Everton player flooring future World Cup winner Jack Charlton, in retaliation. Everton player Sandy Brown was sent off 4 minutes into the game and with a few minutes of the first half remaining, the ref called time early and sent them all to the changing rooms to "cool off".

Cut a long story short, but the thuggery from both sides continued and the fans turned hostile as well.

A month later and after a FA investigation, Brown was suspended and Everton punished for fans throwing coins.

Dirty Leeds got away with everything. Hence the name.

The game has obviously changed drastically since that night. Referees are trained relentlessly, we have VAR, the FA are much stricter and players are more professional.

But the tag line remains. Dirty dirty Leeds.

On to today.

Coming off an international break and playing a team in the play offs, we will have our asses handed to us.

3-0 to Dirty Leeds. Our only hope is that their sick bay is as bad as has been reported in the press. 

Prove me wrong and make me eat humble pie for tea.

Coyrs...

Last 5 visits to Leeds. Lost 4 (2-1,1-0,1-0, 2-1) drawn 1 (last season 2-2)

Suggest 2-1, or 2-0 are likely scorelines today.

Personally I haven't been to Elland Road since the Cup win in '74.

No subsequent visit could ever match that day.

Archived