IGNORED

18,000 pints

JasonM88

4 minutes ago, Super said:

And then end up going to the toilet 20 times during the match and ruining it for other people. Thanks a lot :laughcont:

That’s exactly why I only have one pint before the match. 

If I have two then I’m up for a piss midway through the first half..........:disapointed2se:

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

Fair enough. The Robins and The Rising Sun are two of the closest pubs to Ashton Gate and I only really go in either one or two times a season. Shame The Wedlock isn't still there, would've loved to have gone in there.

Do you notice the Correlation here...?!

The other 2 won’t be there long either, if people don’t use them. Funnily enough..!

I wonder if this figure only relates to the internal stadium concessions/bars, not those outside in the fan park, which are, presumably, independent of Ashton Gate but pay a fee to have the ‘pitch’?

Does anyone know more?

If so, given the amount of pints being drunk outside pre-match, which would not be included if that was the case, this makes the figure more impressive.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The other 2 won’t be there long either, if people don’t use them. Funnily enough..!

Perhaps, I prefer drinking elsewhere though. Walk past The Robins now and again and there's usually a lot of people outside before and after a game so they must do alright?

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The Wedlock’s closed down before the Ship & Castle went. 

Are you sure? I'd have said Ship and Castle 2008, Wedlocks what, 2010?

4 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Perhaps, I prefer drinking elsewhere though. Walk past The Robins now and again and there's usually a lot of people outside before and after a game so they must do alright?

Wedlocks closed closer to around 2005 I'd say. In fact, it was demolished prior to 2010!

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The Wedlock’s closed down before the Ship & Castle went. 

You’re quite right BS3,we actually stopped going because the then landlord started letting away fans in and turned away a few of our lads.i must be getting old, memory’s going.

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Ship and castle for me incredible atmoz  sat on wall waiting for doors to open then on to wedlocks happy days

Ha, ha waiting for the pub to open,seems like a long time ago now.

22 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Definitely. 

I had the Ship & Castle 2004-2007 and well before I moved to open BS3, the Wedlock’s had closed down. 

2005 would be my guess that the Wedlock’s closed. 

Doesn’t surprise me more alcohol/food gets sold at the rugby, everyone I know goes to pubs first then have a quick one at the ground before kickoff if we’ve got time if not just have one at half time. Don’t think the local pubs are as busy for the rugby? They seem to hang around longer post match too.

18 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

Doesn’t surprise me more alcohol/food gets sold at the rugby, everyone I know goes to pubs first then have a quick one at the ground before kickoff if we’ve got time if not just have one at half time. Don’t think the local pubs are as busy for the rugby? They seem to hang around longer post match too.

That’s because the club make an effort. The “clubhouse” thing sees some players and management mingle post match so naturally people like to stay. Nice touch really and more on keeping with the culture of rugby clubs. 

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Is it any good on a matchday anymore? The last time I went in was before the Sheffield Utd game, the choice of ciders was shite and nobody was really singing like they used to pre-match in there. Last time I went in there and it was like that was the Man U game.

We stopped going there in August.

It was run by a group of women, more interested in chatting than serving.

Have they got SKY Sports yet?

32 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

We stopped going there in August.

It was run by a group of women, more interested in chatting than serving.

Have they got SKY Sports yet?

I was awful for a time, at the start of the season. 

New people in there again now and it’s getting better again. 

Used to love the ship , same as @NOTBLUE stopped going in when they let away fans in. Wedlocks was ok , even tried the Rising Sun but never impressed. Now we drink on North street , Masonic's usually  then end up in the Coopers. When the weather's nicer we do often end up in the fan park , but it is different at Rugby. I went a couple of times and the first time I was amazed how many people were there for the Rugby. Football gets busy , but is spread around the pubs , when we got to the Fan park for the Worcester game , it was heaving , and to be fair a very good atmosphere. 
I think things will gradually change, more people using the ground for food/drinks pre match as they improve .

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Don't think it's anything to do with match day sales, not entirely at least. Coopers do a decent trade for a City game, went in there mid week once and it was very quiet, even the Rugby was a lot quieter than football. I think the popularity of North street , and the Riser and Coopers being away from the main drag makes a big difference .

@Bar BS3 you can’t expect people to frequent pubs at the risk of losing them if they are generally shit.

The robins has been awful for as long as I remember, you are unlikely to find people who would go there outside of football. It offers next to nothing and is alike to an estate pub really, if it wasn’t for football it would had gone years ago.

What has changed about the place in the last 25 years? Literally nothing.

What has changed since you ran it? Again literally nothing.

Personally speaking it’s the same for the rising sun / bar bs3, again they offer the punter very little compared to other pubs in the area. Pubs don’t close due to the smoking ban, high prices etc, the majority close as they are generally shit and close for a reason.

Take the coopers, if you had to bet what one would close first, rising sun or the coopers? Without doubt the rising sun, they are literally feet between each other.

It also tells you something when people would rather go and drink in a Concourse before a game with no tables and chairs, then some of the local pubs. It isn’t the punters at fault here, it’s the pubs. 

On 07/03/2019 at 20:50, Robbored said:

Considably less I’d imagine especially when Lindleys had the franchise. 

Since the revamp there are far more outlets both outside and in the concourse so that alone would increase consumption.

18000 pints - roughly one pint per head...........:cool2:

I'm guessing you skipped Maths at school?

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Definitely. 

I had the Ship & Castle 2004-2007 and well before I moved to open BS3, the Wedlock’s had closed down. 

2005 would be my guess that the Wedlock’s closed. 

Were you still there on Promotion day?

15 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Trust me rugby fans drink far more than football fans. Of course taking pints into the ground makes a big difference. The mentality seems to be different as well, rugby fans don't seem to mind missing a third of the game in the toilet or queueing for pints. Personally you can drink at anytime, so when I have shelled out for my City season ticket and tickets to watch the odd Bristol Bears match I want to watch the whole 80/90 mins the boozing can wait.

Its more of the SPH (spend per head) is ALOT higher, not a lot is purchased through the actual game time of rugby.

3 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

@Bar BS3 you can’t expect people to frequent pubs at the risk of losing them if they are generally shit.

The robins has been awful for as long as I remember, you are unlikely to find people who would go there outside of football. It offers next to nothing and is alike to an estate pub really, if it wasn’t for football it would had gone years ago.

What has changed about the place in the last 25 years? Literally nothing.

What has changed since you ran it? Again literally nothing.

Personally speaking it’s the same for the rising sun / bar bs3, again they offer the punter very little compared to other pubs in the area. Pubs don’t close due to the smoking ban, high prices etc, the majority close as they are generally shit and close for a reason.

Take the coopers, if you had to bet what one would close first, rising sun or the coopers? Without doubt the rising sun, they are literally feet between each other.

It also tells you something when people would rather go and drink in a Concourse before a game with no tables and chairs, then some of the local pubs. It isn’t the punters at fault here, it’s the pubs. 

I agree with The Robins. I had that for a couple of years too. 

Horrible estate pub, which the locals don’t support enough and has no scope to be anything other than what it is. Without being knocked down and rebuilt to far better utilise the space on which it’s set. 

However, I’d disagree with the Rising sun/BS3. When I was there, we had 10 skittles teams, 3 pool teams, men’s & women’s darts, a crib league team, poker team, 2 function areas booked out most weekends, busy live music & karaoke nights and a good tv sports attendance. 

The Coopers I’ve never really got. It’s ok for a quiet drink, but they always discouraged the football crowd (appears more welcoming of that now) but with no scope for much else. 

BS3 always found it hard to attract the North Street lot around that corner, but we always did very well there. Until I left, of course..! ??

48 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Were you still there on Promotion day?

That was my last weekend there. What a weekend it was!! 

The Rotherham promotion party on the Saturday, followed by the Wurzels playing live in the pub & Super Cider promotion Sunday, on the Sunday..!! 

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The Rotherham promotion party on the Saturday, followed by the Wurzels playing live in the pub & Super Cider promotion Sunday, on the Sunday..!! 

Why did you leave it?

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Saturday 5th May 2007

3072269948_54209c6cc2_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Approximately 20k most matches......18k pints = roughly one pint per person......What lesson did you miss?.......:cool2:

It was 18k pints (19k actually) divided by a combined attendance of 36k people, across 2 matches. 

Archived