IGNORED

Gregor Rates the bedsheet

Shtanley

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

oh ffs ???

Cotterill was taking us down quickly, with the same squad that LJ climbed us the league with!!

Well, apart from the additions of O'Donnell, Pearce and Golbourne.

Oh, and Matthews and Odemwingie.

Not forgetting Tomlin of course.

But perhaps a waste of time reminding you yet again about there being more than half a new team available to LJ because every time this subject comes up you've conveniently blanked them all out again!! 

35 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Probably getting off topic now, but I agree about the (cautious) cause for celebration so far.

Personally I think football, or rather success in football is a lot more about momentum and motivation than a lot of people give credit for. Gary's team wasn't great and he wasn't a great manager but those are two things we had in abundance, which is also why I was so disappointed when we got promoted under Cotts as I felt we wasted perhaps our most valuable (and intangible) asset.

I think it also is evidenced by the number of teams that come up and do way better than expected, or alternatively appoint a manager, he has a season of stability and then gets promoted. After a period things get a bit stale - it's hard to keep that energy / desire / momentum sustained over a period of many years! It's also very difficult to artificially create, and in many ways it can't be bought or sold so I hope Dean gets us off to a flying start.

Interesting thought re momentum.

Do you think LJ has delayed momentum from Cotts promotion....and as he replaced those players he lost it?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d say Dave and Paul’s view were more aligned to mine....and I think I’m in the minority!!  But I think I’m “minority” in the social media group, who are definitely more unhappy with it.

For the non-social media fan, I suspect I’m less of a minority, but I still think on the whole, most fans are unhappy, just not to the extremes of the unhappy social media crowd.

But the main thing is, I’m happy with my view.  Dull place if we all agreed.

Tbh the appointment of Holden is one of the few things in modern memory that has United the vast majority of supporters in thinking it is a woeful idea, and terrible mismanagement by the club.

In fact, I don’t think we’ve had such a unanimous disapproval of a club action since they released that ghastly shirt in 05/06 that Dave Cotterill modelled. 

*shudders*

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But perhaps a waste of time reminding you yet again about there being more than half a new team available to LJ because every time this subject comes up you've conveniently blanked them all out again!! 

And we forget that summer of 2016, suddenly funds became available to sign Tomlin, Engvall (yes that's right), Paterson, Abraham (loan) and Brownhill. Funds only Stevie Cotterill could dream of in Summer of 2015. 
The late bids of Gayle and Gray was sheer desparation from Cotterill as he knew we would be up against it with the side we had and we needed re enforcements.

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tomlin aside, i'd argue those recruits didnt improve the squad.

Just now, Riaz said:

They definitely did. Fulham away Odemwingie was a nightmare for Fulham's defence, 6 pointer. Matthews was good at the end of that season, so many wanted us to sign permanently. Golbourne was solid and did a decent job. 
We didn't have a big enough squad that season at all and needed numbers, options whatever you call it, from my memory.

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

oh ffs ???

Cotterill was taking us down quickly, with the same squad that LJ climbed us the league with!!

And the following season despite Tammy's efforts Johnson had us safe from relegation..................

.......................................in the penultimate game with an unexpected win at Brighton

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Matter of opinion, but at least you've gone on to arguing about their merits, which would at least indicate you at last accept they actually existed.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Andy Cole, Jackie, David Smith, Scott Murray, Mark Gavin, Bob Taylor, Clive Whitehead, and Ivan Sproule are just a few of the attacking players/wingers we have had over the last 30-40 years. 

They made people get excited and got the crowd going. Today’s players are mostly sterile, don’t get me wrong, they are good players, but no one that excites us anymore. Nothing beats a flying winger taking his full back on. I admit the game has changed, and these sorts of players are now very rare, but we did have them. 

There’s a lot of nostalgia in that post. At the risk of sounding as patronising as noggers, nostalgia comes from the Greek word for "return": nostos. Algos means "suffering." So nostalgia is the suffering caused by an unappeased yearning to return. Suffice it to say the past is not always as glorious as we tell ourselves:

Andy ‘Andrew’ Cole’s 1 season at city was in a city team that scored a total of 49 goals. In comparison last year we scored 60. Both in the 2nd tier. So football not quite as attacking as you might have remembered. 

A lot of the others were before my time, but re Murray and Sproule - very good 3rd tier players, but not top end Champ players. Likewise Tinnion and Maynard imo.

Anyway, back to the original point, I’d rather see success whatever the cost, be it shithousery and 1-0 wins. You’d prefer more sensational football at the risk of glory, and fair play to you, to each their own ?

22 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Have to say some of the comments in this weeks' podcast were quite wide of the mark for me. Criticism of John from Kingswood, praise for Ashton, and having a grumble at fans for being unhappy with the lack of ambition in the football club compared with the rugby club (regardless of financial comparisons) - seemed quite a detached from reality pod. Shame as previous episodes had been right on the money. 

Yep, not only John from Kingswood but a few occasions in an otherwise very listenable podcast where fellow City fans were described as 'idiots'.

Referencing one fan late on, 'I've said it before, and I'll say it again, football fans are idiots.'

Perhaps quickly adding the humble and humurous 'mind you as one of those football fans myself I know I can be an idiot too', would have removed any, surely unintended, semblance of smug superiority which was unnecessary and had become annoying by the end?

Or do these City supporting 'idiots'  justify such a dismissive description just because they hold different views to the 'correct' or 'we know better' opinions held by the host or his guests?

Yep, not only John from Kingswood but a few occasions in an otherwise very listenable podcast where fellow City fans were described as 'idiots'.

Referencing one fan late on, 'I've said it before, and I'll say it again, football fans are idiots.'

Perhaps quickly adding the humble and humurous 'mind you as one of those football fans myself I know I can be an idiot too', would have removed any, surely unintended, semblance of smug superiority which was unnecessary and had become annoying by the end?

Or do these City supporting 'idiots'  justify such a dismissive description just because they hold different views to the 'correct' or 'we know better' opinions held by the host or his guests?

I took it as it was clearly intended by the tone: as a joke. 

30 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pepe Silvia | Know Your Meme

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting thought re momentum.

Do you think LJ has delayed momentum from Cotts promotion....and as he replaced those players he lost it?

Hmm good question - I think ultimately the momentum was lost as Cotts felt he didn't have the tools available to carry it on into our next season. I think that would have reflected in his demeanour and approach, and ultimately on the teams morale preventing us from ever really taking advantage of it. The start of the season wasn't a "Come on lads lets **** this division up" but more of a "Well we'll have to make do and see how far we get". Momentum in my experience is hard to build, but very easy to destroy. It's often hard to quantify what it is, but making changes can often impact it heavily... A really talented motivator can build it from both success (promotion for example) OR adversity - which is what Warnock often does, or even Cook this year at Wigan near the end of the season.

In my opinion Lee had many positives, but I never felt he was really able to sustain momentum with us. The semi final of the cup should have been part of the "wave" of momentum we had that season, and used to help carry us through a tiring end. Hell, I think a really skilled motivator could have used that crushing defeat against Wolves to inspire us - the same way a talented manager will have his squad perform better after getting an unfair red card early in a game, or going in behind at half time to come back out and win for example. That's not something I ever thought Lee was good at though. Instead that point turned out to be the crest of the wave really, and Lee's reliance on making physical changes to the side to change our fortunes never let momentum really build or recover fully - as an individual I don't think you'd ever feel like part of the greater "plan" or truly shaping progress towards a shared goal if you're in and out the side a lot.

At the moment I don't think we have any momentum - we've been a bit rudderless and don't feel like masters of our own destiny. We're looking at other teams and other results to decide our season, rather than at ourselves. Dean sounds like quite an inspiring bloke, and hopefully can start to build up a head of steam for us again!

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I took it as it was clearly intended by the tone: as a joke. 

You make it sound as those it was only said once.

'Idiot' was used several times, and if it was meant as a 'joke', then at best it was wearing a bit thin.

Listeners are unlikely to see the 'funny' side when views they might agree with are being dismissed as those of simpletons, and because of that may well decide to switch their limited City podcast listening time to other readily available areas.  

Pity, because it's a slick production imo., with lots of good content, but spoilt a bit on this occasion for me by those unnecessary - quite pompous really - put downs of the opinions of other City fans, who may, in fact, speak for a majority.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

'Idiot' was used several times, and if it was meant as a 'joke', then at best it was wearing a bit thin.

Listeners are unlikely to see the 'funny' side when views they might agree with are being dismissed as those of simpletons, and because of that may well decide to switch their limited City podcast listening time to other readily available areas.  

Pity, because it's a slick production imo., with lots of good content, but spoilt a bit on this occasion for me by those unnecessary - quite pompous really - put downs of the opinions of other City fans, who may, in fact, speak for a majority.

You’ve called people PC Snowflake types in the past so surprised you are bothered. 

Nothing patronising Riaz, unless that word has assumed a new meaning I'm unaware of?

What you wrongly state over and over again has been corrected (again).

Nothing more than that.

Its not been corrected. You cant correct an opinion

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I do get how you come to that conclusion and you make fair points, but i thought the most recent Podcasts was one of the best ever, defiantly professional, Gregor like him or loath him is top class on it and very honest. His bit about "laughing out load", when he heard it was Holden will live long in the memory. It was also balanced, a majority of those on it would have gone for someone else other then Holden, but now its done, are going to get behind him and see how it goes (that true for me and probably the majority).

I am a football "idiot" myself, following city blindly for 40 years and making all my 5 kids follow suit... spending a fortune following them around the country, paying all the Merch, defiantly an idiot, but a calculating one, who for all the suffering has had plenty of reward to go with the pain.

Its Stanly who called out one "idiot" for a comment that SL "did not want to get to the prem" ,I think that is fair enough tbh,  whatever you think of Holden's appointment that comment is "total nuts". It would be fair to say "it feels like he does not want to get to the prem" but you would have to be insane to truly believe he does not want it? ever since SL was involved we have been building towards it, and everything he says and does confirms it (LJ losing his job for not getting in the play offs could be the latest clue!).

I have listened to nearly all OSIB Podcasts, I have no involvement myself with it, but i don't think they ever dismiss fans views (but again I do understand how you may feel that if you are passionately on one side of the fence). It is fair it does not reflect the vitriol I have seen on social media about Holden, but again I think they are probably more in tune with the majority of the fans who attend these days, as oppose to those on the extremes of this debate.

but that why this particular idiot loves being a city fan with all our wide variety of barmy fans and all the views that go along with that, who would want to be boring Brighton fan....

COYR

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

This pretty much aligns with how I perceived this podcast which I have mentioned on a previous page. It’s interesting that this thread is the most feedback a OSIB podcast announcement has had. 

I am a huge fan of OSIB and I think @Shtanley and @petehinton do a great job with it and thank you gents. For me though it needs to represent all the fan base and being dismissive of a significant (I will use that as we don’t really know what is a majority/minority viewpoint here) proportion of it just isn’t on.

Having Gregor on is great but it also starts to make it feel more polished, which for me is where OSIB loses its appeal a little bit. It’s a difficult one as he’s great value. OSIB is at its best when it’s not trying too hard and when it feels like a bunch of mates larking about.

It’s a brilliant podcast though I always enjoy listening so thanks again. 

17 minutes ago, One Team said:

This pretty much aligns with how I perceived this podcast which I have mentioned on a previous page. It’s interesting that this thread is the most feedback a OSIB podcast announcement has had. 

I am a huge fan of OSIB and I think @Shtanley and @petehinton do a great job with it and thank you gents. For me though it needs to represent all the fan base and being dismissive of a significant (I will use that as we don’t really know what is a majority/minority viewpoint here) proportion of it just isn’t on.

Having Gregor on is great but it also starts to make it feel more polished, which for me is where OSIB loses its appeal a little bit. It’s a difficult one as he’s great value. OSIB is at its best when it’s not trying too hard and when it feels like a bunch of mates larking about.

I agree 100% with this and think @Nogbad the Bad makes a good point.

I say this as a patreon payer and past contributor. I cringed when @Shtanley called those guy idiots, even if I agree with the sentiment. I broadly align myself with the more moderate views of the guys on, but I would have loved a firmer and more dissenting voice to be added on this first one back. You can't just dismiss people as idiots. Fine to say you disagree, even strongly disagree, but insulting a section of the fanbase isn't the way.

Again, this post I've quoted gets that point perfectly, although I feel Gregor is a great contributor, he seems so much more relaxed than he comes across on Twitter or even on his own Robins on the Wire pod.

19 minutes ago, One Team said:

Why does it need to represent all the fan base? The other podcast which represents the older generation and has a more negative view doesn't represent my views in the slightest but I haven't commented on the thread as I know I won't listen to it again... 

I struggle to understand how people believe they know what the 'majority' of fans think. This forum and social media is a microcosm of the overall fanbase where people generally moan and are overtly negative. The more balanced fan won't engage on social media for fear of being shouted down. 

6 minutes ago, !james said:

Why does it need to represent all the fan base? The other podcast which represents the older generation and has a more negative view doesn't represent my views in the slightest but I haven't commented on the thread as I know I won't listen to it again... 

I struggle to understand how people believe they know what the 'majority' of fans think. This forum and social media is a microcosm of the overall fanbase where people generally moan and are overtly negative. The more balanced fan won't engage on social media for fear of being shouted down. 

Couldn’t agree more. I think the term idiot was mainly used to describe the fan who said that Lansdown clearly cared about the rugby side more than the football side under his control.  Don’t see the problem with calling that viewpoint idiotic.  Like you say, there is a podcast mainly full of angry negative people if anyone wants that to listen too. 

38 minutes ago, !james said:

Personally I think it should be balanced; and by the way I think normally it is. Maybe it’s just who the guests were on that podcast.

I agree this place is a very, very small representation of the fan base but disagree it’s where people generally moan and are overly negative, I think it’s been quite a mix over the years actually. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Couldn’t agree more. I think the term idiot was mainly used to describe the fan who said that Lansdown clearly cared about the rugby side more than the football side under his control.  Don’t see the problem with calling that viewpoint idiotic.  Like you say, there is a podcast mainly full of angry negative people if anyone wants that to listen too. 

Strange reading you how one minute any form of personal term is unnecessary then the next you are justifying when it suits you

Maybe you could go on one of the podcasts and treat us all

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Strange reading you how one minute any form of personal term is unnecessary then the next you are justifying when it suits you

Maybe you could go on one of the podcasts and treat us all

Fair enough. Can see why you would say that. I’d say opinions that are so clearly wrong as Lansdown preferring the rugby team is wrong enough to be called idiotic.  Only someone who real has no idea on the situation would say he does.  He spends a hell of a lot more on the football team. Picking just one aspect (the head coach salary) and ignoring everything else is just silly.  

Archived