IGNORED

Bristol City v Coventry City Match Day 1

Good result after that shocking first half.

Some big performances out there today with Captain Kalas, Vyner looked very good, and Bakinson - what a performance from him, ran the midfield and changed the game.

At the opposite end of the scale I though Massengo, Paterson (until Bakinson came on), Weimann (until Bakinson came on), and Diedhiou who looked slow and cumbersome, all looked very poor.

Chris Martin also made a difference with a bit of movement up front unlike Diedhiou.

DH - learn the lesson, Weimann isn't a midfielder - especially when paired with a fairly lightweight and young player like Massengo. That was not a good line up in midfield.

Loads of changes for the cup game and hopefully 3 or 4 changes for the next league game.

Looked like they underestimated Coventry in the first half, and but for some great defending we could have conceded two or three goals - well done Kalas and Bentley especially.

But in the second half we seemed to suss them out and could/should have scored more.

Bakinson and Semenyo look like they could really have an influence this season - and Chris Martin looked class compared to Fam!

Any win is a good win!!

Well that was hardly vintage....but we stuck at it, tired Coventry out, and cane string at the end.

I’m sure Dean learned a lot from that....and to come out with 3 points is a bonus.  Sometimes it takes a league game to highlight issues.  Coventry deserved a point, and probably our worst performance under Holden.

Ratings: (will expand if a thread gets started) no half marks!  6 is average.

Bentley 7

Vyner 6

Kalas 8 (MOTM) (Goal)

Moore 4

Hunt 6

Paterson 7 (Goal and Assist)

Massengo 5

Weimann 5

Rowe 5

Diedhiou 4

Wells 6 (Assist)

Subs:

Martin 6

Bakinson 7

Semenyo 6

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well that was hardly vintage....but we stuck at it, tired Coventry out, and cane string at the end.

I’m sure Dean learned a lot from that....and to come out with 3 points is a bonus.  Sometimes it takes a league game to highlight issues.  Coventry deserved a point, and probably our worst performance under Holden.

Ratings: (will expand if a thread gets started) no half marks!  6 is average.

Bentley 7

Vyner 6

Kalas 8 (MOTM) (Goal)

Moore 4

Hunt 6

Paterson 7 (Goal and Assist)

Massengo 5

Weimann 5

Rowe 5

Diedhiou 4

Wells 6 (Assist)

Subs:

Martin 6

Bakinson 7

Semenyo 6

Can't agree with a few of those marks, but the one that stands out for me is Bakinson - the lad ran the midfield for the last 30 minutes, Coventry were tiring but he had a great 30 minutes or so (8 from me). 

Agreed that Kalas was outstanding (9 from me).

Also liked the look of Chris Martin who affected the game and pulled their defence around (7 from me).

39 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Always wait for the final whistle before exploding against head coach and team

Well done City, against a newly promoted side used to winning.

3 good points and a great start to the season

Coaches and players will have learnt a lot today about themselves and the team

That is classic @Ivorguy - come on mate, you can't be serious??

Pot calling kettle black?!

I've read you going in at the club and manager many times in the match day thread over the years!!

Will take a good result when the performance is far from perfect.

First half they deserved to not just be level but ahead: second we held our own, and while a win was a little fortunate, never a bad thing to learn lessons and still get something.

The trick will be; did we learn? Only time will tell.

COYR

Highlight of the game, Bakinson. Also Chris Martin looked a useful addition, hopefully we won’t do the usual and coach it out of him. 

Yes I think Coventry were ‘unknown’ to us and even with the inside knowledge of Walsh we underestimated them. A typical newly promoted team.

Kalas in his interview afterwards was at least honest. Not good enough for what we are aiming for.

Well, I thought we were shit for most parts today against a side that will struggle.

The young lads at the back struggled, but I think that was down to our midfield being non-existent until Bakinson came on. Where was Morrell? Good enough for Wales but not for us? Weimann is never a midfielder.

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

First game with a new manager With 5 first team players unavailable ffs. Coventry have had continuity for years too

Its not as if they are a team of strangers and the manager hadn't been here for the last 5 years or anything

That excuse doesn't wash im afraid

Again, very similar in long spells to LJ's team last year. Sloppy, conceded possession too easily and lazy passing. I'll concede there were probably 7 players not available to start, but that excuse only goes so far. Playing one central midfielder against 4? HNM was up against it, Weimann & Pato are not ball winners and it puts a lot of pressure on a part of Massengo's game that isn't his strongest attribute . Bakinson look quality, but it was at a time when there were heavy legs and more space. Take nothing away from him, he was impressive and whatever the phase of the game, you still have to do it. 

There is a long way to go and we need a lot of improvement. Get the likes of Morrell, Williams and Walsh fit. Get Mawson, Brunt and Martin up to speed and we may well see a different performance. The main thing you could say about today is that it was a win.

Very pleased with the win and especially for Dean Holden.

This was a potential banana skin with Coventry coming up and being on a roll.I thought they were excellent although they ran out of puff in the second half.I think they will be in the top half at the end of the season.At half time I was very worried.

I felt sorry for Han Noah as he was so outnumbered in the midfield.Fair play to Dean  for changing it and bringing on Tyreeq and the unit that is Chris Martin.Within a few minutes we seemed a changed side and generally had the best of it.

With the injured players coming back I am quietly optimistic about our chances .With all the options (in next few weeks)we do have in the middle of the park I don’t want to see to many first half’s like that again.

Onwards and upwards for me. 7/10

41 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Its not as if they are a team of strangers and the manager hadn't been here for the last 5 years or anything

That excuse doesn't wash im afraid

No excuses needed, 2-1 win against a good side used to winning games with an experienced manager, loads of first team players unavailable and we won the game after bringing on two academy players. Perfect. 

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No excuses needed, 2-1 win against a good side used to winning games with an experienced manager, loads of first team players unavailable and we won the game after bringing on two academy players. Perfect. 

There were a few positives from the game;

Kalas looked back to his best

Semenyo getting more minutes

Martin looking classy

Bakinson doing a decent imitation of Cisse

Finishing the game strongly and on top

But there were also a few negatives;

That first half was shocking with seemingly just a kid in midfield

Diedhiou doing his donkey impression

Paterson doing his invisible man impression for an hour

But 3 points in the bag without a number of genuine first team candidates unavailable or not chosen for the squad is a good days work.

5 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

They’ve been playing 90 minute games for their countries. Why behind?

Not so much match fitness, more to do with missing training with the squad and getting used to how the team is to play. They only got back on Thursday I think after a couple of weeks away.

Archived