IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Didn't listen to Radio Bristol, but I assume there were a couple of them looking towards the play offs after this massive win?

Yep.

Earlier this week, after two cup exits, they were going down due to their awful home form, and some were calling for Dopey's head.

Now of course, the play offs beckon !

• Like 2

23 hours ago, myol'man said:

Nothing else to do so I've got Radio Awful on. Do people actually pay to watch this sh!te ?

I was casually chatting to a youngish guy and an older lady in the café at Southmead Hospital the other day. The guy was on crutches and told us he'd fallen down some steps, at a family party, and badly damaged his knee. The lady jokingly suggested he should 'take more water with it'. His reply was classic. He told us he was unable to drink any alcohol at the moment because of the pain killers he was on. He also said... 'And to make matters worse, I'm a Rovers supporter. It's bad enough watching them when I've had a few, but now I have to watch them sober'.

So in answer to your question, yes people do pay to watch that sh!te, but some of them are more realistic about it. :) 

Edited by Red Tel
  • Like 2

• Admin
On 11/15/2015, 10:18:49, The Gasbuster said:

Yep.

Earlier this week, after two cup exits, they were going down due to their awful home form, and some were calling for Dopey's head.

Now of course, the play offs beckon !

Someone I met up with Saturday evening was telling me they would be going for automatic promotion now - they REALLY are deluded !

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Someone I met up with Saturday evening was telling me they would be going for automatic promotion now - they REALLY are deluded !

Unfourtunately,having watched some of the weekends div 2 action it wouldn't be that hard,it was a totally shocking standard.

Could this be a fly in their ointment? I was sent this today....

Dear Friends

Bristol City Council have recognised the significance of the historic war memorial sports ground, by listing it as an Asset of Community Value. The ACV application was submitted by The Bishopston Society.  Further info at: http://www.bishopstonsociety.org.uk/news/our-news/754-bristol-city-council-accepts-nomination-of-memorial-stadium-as-an-asset-of-community-value-by-tbs

ACV status offers the local and wider Bristol community a stake in determining the future of the Memorial Ground. This is a sensible change of direction – recent experience has seen plans to plonk towering blocks of flats on the Memorial Ground, or replace it altogether with a huge supermarket with all the noise and air pollution that entails. All being well, there’ll be no more disrespectful talk of the war memorial as a problem brownfield site.

Another very welcome development is that Bristol’s Ceremony of Remembrance parade and service is to be held at the Memorial Ground next year. This event is not being held at the Cenotaph in November 2016, due to the remodelling of the centre for Metrobus. Congratulations to Bristol Rovers Football Club for hosting the high profile remembrance event, for which the Memorial Ground is a fitting venue. 2016 will be the hundredth anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, which did for so many of the sportsmen soldiers and volunteer intake.

After the Great War, Bristol’s immediate idea for the city’s first substantial war memorial was heartfelt, insightful and practical – long term good would come of bad. Healthy sport and remembrance have gone hand in hand ever since.

The long history of rugby and football clubs playing spectator sport at The Mem has created a distinct atmosphere to the area. The roar of the stadium crowd can be heard across Horfield and Bishopston, as far as St Andrews Park and Lockleaze. Elderly residents, whose parents contributed to the 1920s fundraising effort to pay for the facility, have spoken of how they take comfort in this ‘sound of Horfield’.

Furthermore, the President of Bristol Rugby Former Players, has stated that “The memorial is not only for those who wore the famous blue and white jersey, but for all rugby players who died for their country.” The Memorial Ground could be adopted as the national rugby war memorial? See this World Rugby Museum article: https://worldrugbymuseumblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/a-history-of-the-bristol-memorial-ground/

Meanwhile, the appeal (Sainsbury’s v Rovers) is due to be heard in London on about 26th or 27th January.

The Memorial Ground, Bristol blog

https://memorialgroundbristol.wordpress.com/

Follow us on twitter: @LWF1914

Edited by ciderup