IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

With the astonishing revelations about the Matt Taylor signing it is hard to fathom that just over a year ago he was plying his trade in  non-league football at a West Country backwater. But now, as one of the greatest strikers to ever don the famous quarters, it is unsurprising that comparisons are being made between Taylor and that other great international centre forward, Geoff Bratwurst, whom I signed in 1949 a year before I joined the club.

Geoff had been on trial at Nuremberg (and IMO was lucky to get away with a fine) so we were up against some stiff opposition for his signature. But my struggle eventually paid off and we invited him to our summer camp at Weston-Super-Mare where he soon became the life and soul of the party. Back in those days I had developed a series of groundbreaking training routines, including barefoot mine clearance, but the bulk of the work was still derived from things which Fred and I had picked up in the army such as push up’s, squat jumps and gonorrhea.

Young Bratwurst was something of a rebel and, like Taylor, enjoyed nothing more than a practical joke at the expense of his manager. Of course  he was completely house trained, so our replica trophies remained untarnished, but his idea of fun was to kick the footballs as far as he could out into the sea and watch as I struggled to retrieve them. “Go on boss” he would shout, “you old stick in the mud”. Luckily a tragedy was averted with the appearance of the Kewstoke lifeboat which ensured I was still around to mastermind a decade of unparalleled success at Bristol Rovers.     

(to be continued)

• Like 13

On this forum there are frequent jibs at the entire town of Swindon, not just it's football team. Their speedway team is trying to get a new track and the story has become a long drawn out saga, which is why I've posted in this thread. This comment below is from a speedway forum and sounds soooooo similar to the UWE ground for Rovers story.

Certain people at the stadium also keep claiming that planning permission has been granted and that construction was just about to start.  I have no idea where they get their information from.  I have been hearing this for at least a year. 

• Like 3

He's either signing for Celtic, Reading, Brentford, Hibs, or us. All the others have offered him £7k a week and we've offered him £3.5k plus bonuses. 

This is the gossip. He is taking a long time to make up his mind, and he's now out of contract since the end of June and not being paid.

Perfect signing for City really.  Best to jump in quick. Top scorer in the Football League last season.  Go for it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

He's either signing for Celtic, Reading, Brentford, Hibs, or us. All the others have offered him £7k a week and we've offered him £3.5k plus bonuses. 

This is the gossip. He is taking a long time to make up his mind, and he's now out of contract since the end of June and not being paid.

Perfect signing for City really.  Best to jump in quick. Top scorer in the Football League last season.  Go for it.

So he's no longer a Rover's player?

1 hour ago, Smaller than a flea said:

If he didn't play for you lot and have such an affiliation with you I'm sure we'd be much more interested.

31 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Isn't that a Birmingham song?

Has Wally changed his allegiance from Chelsea to Birmingham?

no its just typical rovers, no real identity, they have to steal everything then claim it as there own 

1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

Rejected their new contract a few minute ago.

Amazed.

Does he not realise they've signed a player who got offer reduced terms by Port Vale and a 29 year old league two centre half?