IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The photo is n't very flattering now is it ? Strange why the Post lead with it.

On second thoughts . it's the Post as you were. 

Don't take on so just a little joke . We had Martyn Woolford playing for us once !

No worries 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

See Mr multi quote is back and in full effect  :facepalm:

I still don't get it .. I send it once then it's still there like I never sent it .. so I have to send it again or I can't reply to anything else ... !! Quite frustrating 

3 hours ago, Philgas said:

Still can't work this quote stuff properly. . . I'll have to reply again to be able to quote someone else! !! .. gas logic not working today !

its a forum thing we all get it when we try and quote, not gaslogic that one phil

I'm interested, what would Rovers fans think of their hero if he decided to sign for us?

Don't pretend you wouldn't care, or that it wouldn't hurt. It was his goals that earned you back-to-back promotions (albeit from non-league and after a relegation but that's beside the point...).

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I thought strikers scored goals? 2 in 2 years?, still there's always the trade descriptions act.

C'mon be honest all of you gasheads who contribute on here you must be more than a little disillusioned by your mega multi billionaire owner the guy with a nice watch not funding proper signings.

All smoke and mirrors?.

On the contrary, I'm pleased he's backing the manager to do it his way. I would be more suspicious if he came in throwing cash around like confetti at a wedding, a la Notts County. I'd rather that the club was developed in a sustainable way, by funding the new stadium and having a sound financial basis, rather than trying to buy success.

14 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

I'm interested, what would Rovers fans think of their hero if he decided to sign for us?

Don't pretend you wouldn't care, or that it wouldn't hurt. It was his goals that earned you back-to-back promotions (albeit from non-league and after a relegation but that's beside the point...).

In all honesty, it would annoy me for a few days/weeks, but I wouldn't necessarily blame the bloke. It's his job, and he'd earn 3/4/5 times as much, and play in a higher league. He's not a Gashead born and bred so why anyone would expect him to act like one is beyond me. He'd be the same as the vast majority of ex-players, if I saw him in the street I'd shake his hand and say hello, but he becomes just another opponent on the pitch. He's not Rickie Lambert, to be fair. I think there are sometimes players who do develop such an affinity with a club/supporters that they wouldn't move to a rival, Lambert strikes me as one of them. Not that Taylor hasn't done well for us but ultimately his spell with the club will be remembered as a very dark period in our history given half of his time has been in non league.

(Gasheads can operate multi-quote... ;) )

23 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

On the contrary, I'm pleased he's backing the manager to do it his way. I would be more suspicious if he came in throwing cash around like confetti at a wedding, a la Notts County. I'd rather that the club was developed in a sustainable way, by funding the new stadium and having a sound financial basis, rather than trying to buy success.

In all honesty, it would annoy me for a few days/weeks, but I wouldn't necessarily blame the bloke. It's his job, and he'd earn 3/4/5 times as much, and play in a higher league. He's not a Gashead born and bred so why anyone would expect him to act like one is beyond me. He'd be the same as the vast majority of ex-players, if I saw him in the street I'd shake his hand and say hello, but he becomes just another opponent on the pitch. He's not Rickie Lambert, to be fair. I think there are sometimes players who do develop such an affinity with a club/supporters that they wouldn't move to a rival, Lambert strikes me as one of them. Not that Taylor hasn't done well for us but ultimately his spell with the club will be remembered as a very dark period in our history given half of his time has been in non league.

You say fund the new stadium but surely you're not that deluded. He's spending money putting lipstick on the pig that is the stolen mem. Why would he waste money on that dump if building work was imminent at  uwe ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You say fund the new stadium but surely you're not that deluded. He's spending money putting lipstick on the pig that is the stolen mem. Why would he waste money on that dump if building work was imminent at  uwe ? 

Oh I agree, the UWE isn't a done deal, far, FAR from it - but he's committed to a 'new' stadium for the club. Whether that's the UWE, or a different site, or a redevelopment of the Mem like was approved years ago, who knows, but something will change.

25 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Afraid to say that at Championship level and above, the harsh reality is that these days you have little choice but to invest large sums just to compete. Not suggesting your owner starts going nuts in L1 but if he has the money it's claimed he does, why isn't there any sign of at least some proportional spending for that level, e.g anything above your current transfer record?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philgas said:
3 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Oh I agree, the UWE isn't a done deal, far, FAR from it - but he's committed to a 'new' stadium for the club. Whether that's the UWE, or a different site, or a redevelopment of the Mem like was approved years ago, who knows, but something will change.

There isn't another site though

9 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Afraid to say that at Championship level and above, the harsh reality is that these days you have little choice but to invest large sums just to compete. Not suggesting your owner starts going nuts in L1 but if he has the money it's claimed he does, why isn't there any sign of at least some proportional spending for that level, e.g anything above your current transfer record?

Yep, but consolidating sensibly at the top end of League One will do for now. It is possible to do it organically, but it's not an overnight process, and I'm happy with that. I don't want boom and bust.

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Maybe, maybe not.

4 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Yep, but consolidating sensibly at the top end of League One will do for now. It is possible to do it organically, but it's not an overnight process, and I'm happy with that. I don't want boom and bust.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'd agree that until you get your ground situation sorted, some consolidation in L1 would probably be the best thing for you right now. The cheque book has got to come out at some point though.

11 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I'd agree that until you get your ground situation sorted, some consolidation in L1 would probably be the best thing for you right now. The cheque book has got to come out at some point though.

Agreed. I also think part of it is the fact that Clarke has had success with players from non-league, so he's happy for Clarke to carry on in that way. I think if we had a different manager we probably would have spent some money by now, but I don't think Darrell wants that per se.

3 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Agreed. I also think part of it is the fact that Clarke has had success with players from non-league, so he's happy for Clarke to carry on in that way. I think if we had a different manager we probably would have spent some money by now, but I don't think Darrell wants that per se.

Certainly got more than your moneys worth from the current bunch. Taylor got you a shed load of goals but as much as I am obliged to despise the man, DC is clearly the biggest asset you have right now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Oh I agree, the UWE isn't a done deal, far, FAR from it - but he's committed to a 'new' stadium for the club. 

I've said it on here before that I think Higgs made the club a decent proposition for investors by securing a deal with the UWE and pp for a new stadium in a heavily populated area with good road access. I don't believe for a second that the Al Qadis (?) invested in the Gas with any thoughts of staying at the Mem, even in the event of defeat to Sainsburys, it just wouldn't make financial sense.

It'll be done, just a question of when.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I've said it on here before that I think Higgs made the club a decent proposition for investors by securing a deal with the UWE and pp for a new stadium in a heavily populated area with good road access. I don't believe for a second that the Al Qadis (?) invested in the Gas with any thoughts of staying at the Mem, even in the event of defeat to Sainsburys, it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Or, sell up & move out of the Mem to a temporary ground share (back to Trumpton?) while waiting for the UWE stadium to get started, followed by delay, delay, delay.

Wally thinks **** this I'm off.

It has happened before, just saying

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Tend to agree, it was one of the few good things he did for the club!

27 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Or, sell up & move out of the Mem to a temporary ground share (back to Trumpton?) while waiting for the UWE stadium to get started, followed by delay, delay, delay.

Wally thinks **** this I'm off.

It has happened before, just saying

Possible, I grant you. Difference now though, however, is that we have no debt, as the majority of this was to the previous shareholders, so it makes it more viable even we get screwed over in this sort of way.

21 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Meanwhile.........UTC.

577e188dd5cf5_16070609500035301.jpg.0039ec6a09c397124f62fb1b8d3ef53c.jpg

Fair play, looks nice. I mean, the seats are the wrong colour, but it is impressive. Like a midget love child of Anfield and the City Ground.

• Like 1