IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Tom very kindly dug the radio Bristol post match phone in for me last year, after a twitter pleas. Here it is in all its glory.  Enjoy it. 

"Y'know" Kev from Bedminster is one of the callers (don't hear him anymore-for some reason ?)

Saying they took 45000 to "Wembly", of course.

He must have been very upset that day because he didn't say "Y'know" once. I recall him saying it a record 26 times on one occasion, when he called GT.

Even the traffic reports on the Rovers relegation day extravaganza were putting the boot in, “if you’re travelling away from the Mem you won’t have any delays, traffic moving freely”

yeh that’ll be all the gas heads that couldn’t wait to get the **** out of there 😂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bredwood said:

Yep that's her

I heard she was a defence lawyer these days. Apologies if I have this wrong and this just goes to show what a weird memory for things I've got if this right, but was your dad a trade unionist who died some time  ago and had quite a large funeral- trade union flags etc?

8 hours ago, The 'Bourne said:

I find this a but odd. Did you ever frequent the Swan?

There were about 15 of us who were in there most nights. We would all meet up together before games, over the years pubs changed.

Some of us would always be at away games, usually hiring a mini bus, or if needed a Luton van.

There was also Hacker's coaches. I'm sure many old boys remember Paul.

Yes there were a number of Rovers supporters around. But most of them haven't been since Eastville. Whereas myself and all my old mates still go.

I am not surprised that you found my comment odd , it should have been for 65-70 not the 70s but I didn’t know how to edit it. I know the Swan but that was always known as being in Whatleys End, but no I never went to any of the pubs. In my part of Winterbourne ( Dragon Rd End) it was definitely Gas, the family’s who supported them had done so for generations. 
can I ask did you go to the Ridings?

19 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That’s interesting.

By the mid/late 1970s, both The Globe and The Wheatsheaf were staunchly City.

Please see my reply to Bournes post re my mistake, the Wheatsheaf on the High Street I know. Was the Globe in Winterbourne Down?

3 minutes ago, Bobby girl said:

Please see my reply to Bournes post re my mistake, the Wheatsheaf on the High Street I know. Was the Globe in Winterbourne Down?

The Globe was, and still is in Frampton.

3 minutes ago, The 'Bourne said:

No but my brother did, I went to FHS.

In response to my school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Listening now.

That tosser moaning that the City game was on the radio, instead of the 15, then GT tells him he was listening on the wrong frequency !

Haha, sag wanchor !

I felt obliged to give it another list.

I'd forgotten about that caller who claimed they'd have the best stadium in the conference. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The 'Bourne said:

The Globe was, and still is in Frampton.

With the Live & Let Live now gone; only The Globe and The Rising Sun remain in Frampton. There used to be around eight pubs in the village.

21 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

With the Live & Let Live now gone; only The Globe and The Rising Sun remain in Frampton. There used to be around eight pubs in the village.

Ring of Bells (CPH)

Golden Lion

Live and Let Live

Globe

Star

Half Moon

Fire Engine

Horseshoe

Rising Sun

3 minutes ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

Ring of Bells (CPH)

Golden Lion

Live and Let Live

Globe

Star

Half Moon

Fire Engine

Horseshoe

Rising Sun

My first pint in The Live, 14 years old, Light Split, 1s 8d.

1 hour ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

Ring of Bells (CPH)

Golden Lion

Live and Let Live

Globe

Star

Half Moon

Fire Engine

Horseshoe

Rising Sun

My Dad used to say you could always tell a true sports fan by the way he gave traffic directions...  

'Can you tell me how to get to the train station please?'

'Yes, you go left at the Queens Head, straight on at the Kings Arms and right at the Red Lion. If you see the Dog and Duck you have gone to far.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judah_Eskendar_Tafar said:

Ring of Bells (CPH)

Golden Lion

Live and Let Live

Globe

Star

Half Moon

Fire Engine

Horseshoe

Rising Sun

The Star was my local when I lived in Frampton. Enjoyed it there. 

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I heard she was a defence lawyer these days. Apologies if I have this wrong and this just goes to show what a weird memory for things I've got if this right, but was your dad a trade unionist who died some time  ago and had quite a large funeral- trade union flags etc?

Yes she’s something along those lines. My Dad wasn’t a trade unionist but had a lot of friends in the Labour movement. I don’t recall any flags and things but I guess my mind was on other things.

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

On the subject of lawyers/trade unionists, is John Malitski (phonetic spelling) still involved with your lot? Used to be chairman or supporters association, or similar 

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

Not really seeing as in recent seasons we've been looking down more than up & had dodgy runs that have had us concerned about being dragged in. Think most would admit that? So its quite plausible for us to go down. Less inclined to say the sags would go up. Man City will never be in a similar position (ffp issues aside) so you can't compare.

Your point was they're "only" a division below us as if they are closing in and we should be worried. Even when they were non league they were "only" three divisions below us.

I think you can probably realise by now why I made the Man City comparison.

9 hours ago, Swede said:

Your point was they're "only" a division below us as if they are closing in and we should be worried. Even when they were non league they were "only" three divisions below us.

I think you can probably realise by now why I made the Man City comparison.

My point wasn't that they are closing. More that we could easily go down & thus be in therefore be in the same division

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAWS said:

My point wasn't that they are closing. More that we could easily go down & thus be in therefore be in the same division

I think as things stand we are far more likely to go down rather than up, so I totally agree.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, JAWS said:

You could say that about every club from the top six down in the Championship! Next season it will arguably be harder with Pompey, Derby & possibly Bolton coming up and Sheff Utd, Burnley & Luton/Forest coming down plus a big club like Leeds or Southampton missing out and staying down. The league is extremely competitive and probably one of the hardest to have success in with FFP and PP disparity.

By the way Man City COULD find themselves in the Championship and even lower if they are penalised for alledged financial irregularities. Not as inconceivable as you think. Should we be worried about that as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

On the subject of lawyers/trade unionists, is John Malitski (phonetic spelling) still involved with your lot? Used to be chairman or supporters association, or similar 

I don't think he is officially. I think it's Malcyki, but could be wrong. Oddly enough, I've only met him once or twice. Definitely one of the good guys.

12 hours ago, bredwood said:

Yes she’s something along those lines. My Dad wasn’t a trade unionist but had a lot of friends in the Labour movement. I don’t recall any flags and things but I guess my mind was on other things.

Yes, I'm sure it was.

It's a very long story, but I knew a few people there who mentioned Louise to me and that her brother was a big City fan. I have no idea why I remember random stuff like that.

18 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I felt obliged to give it another list.

I'd forgotten about that caller who claimed they'd have the best stadium in the conference. 

Did you notice how the "Wembeley" crowd went from 40k (which was a ridiculous over estimation in itself) to 45 in one hit ?

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Did you notice how the "Wembeley" crowd went from 40k (which was a ridiculous over estimation in itself) to 45 in one hit ?

If the phone in was half an hour longer, they would have got to sixty thousand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, petehinton said:

Tom very kindly dug the radio Bristol post match phone in for me last year, after a twitter pleas. Here it is in all its glory.  Enjoy it. 

Never gets old…! 🤣

All the callers recognised that Higgs was only interested in securing their new stadium. At least that went well for them…

• Haha 2