IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

22 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

G*s ---- 8714

Girls --- 8749 

Good spot.

Any idea how the City woman's game was priced and were there any freebies for STH? That's not a dig btw, I am genuinely concerned at figures like this and my club ignore them at their peril. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Any idea how the City woman's game was priced and were there any freebies for STH? That's not a dig btw, I am genuinely concerned at figures like this and my club ignore them at their peril. 

They have been quite cheap and a few deals on. I think they deliberately aimed towards the young female market, and rightly so. I'm amazed at the attendances, probably better getting more in at lower prices so they can spend in the Stadium.  
I think I paid about £10 for the Man U game , for the game against Everton on 18th is only £4 . 

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I can't answer your question but can I ask another?

Do you think it true that there is an older demographic at the Mem or is that just an OTIB perception? If true that would be my concern if in your shoes, rather than the actual numbers.

I think the Barton era was terrible for a club trying to be family friendly. How would anyone want to align their youngsters with that sort of role model?

43 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

They have been quite cheap and a few deals on. I think they deliberately aimed towards the young female market, and rightly so. I'm amazed at the attendances, probably better getting more in at lower prices so they can spend in the Stadium.  
I think I paid about £10 for the Man U game , for the game against Everton on 18th is only £4 . 

Offers or not, the gates are still outstanding. Meanwhile, we seem to be doing our utmost to make it difficult for supporters to attend.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I can't answer your question but can I ask another?

Do you think it true that there is an older demographic at the Mem or is that just an OTIB perception? If true that would be my concern if in your shoes, rather than the actual numbers.

I think the Barton era was terrible for a club trying to be family friendly. How would anyone want to align their youngsters with that sort of role model?

We definitely do seem to an older support. In my little group of 7 there are only 2 younger than me (I'm 60 this year) . There does seem to be a bit of a 'yoof' section coming through, a lot of those being sons and grandsons of us older ones. What is more concerning for me, is that areas that in my younger days were almost entirely Rovers, just aren't any more.

30 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We definitely do seem to an older support. In my little group of 7 there are only 2 younger than me (I'm 60 this year) . There does seem to be a bit of a 'yoof' section coming through, a lot of those being sons and grandsons of us older ones. What is more concerning for me, is that areas that in my younger days were almost entirely Rovers, just aren't any more.

My view is the 'areas' thing is in the past, for any team in any city. Life just isn't like that any more, what with work, transport, education, accommodation.

Perhaps some of your generation have given up somewhat on catching up with City and the next youth generation have less rivalry in mind.

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

My view is the 'areas' thing is in the past, for any team in any city. Life just isn't like that any more, what with work, transport, education, accommodation.

Perhaps some of your generation have given up somewhat on catching up with City and the next youth generation have less rivalry in mind.

I think where Rovers have missed out massively is on new types of fan. I still have some great days out down Gloucester Road and the odd away trip, but all those good days are entirely based on the social side, which I suspect it is for many City fans as well. However, there are more and more fans who watch their football in a different way and those people want better facilities, whether that be seating, modern surroundings , a big stadium experience and to watch football at the highest level possible. We are light years behind City in those areas. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think where Rovers have missed out massively is on new types of fan. I still have some great days out down Gloucester Road and the odd away trip, but all those good days are entirely based on the social side, which I suspect it is for many City fans as well. However, there are more and more fans who watch their football in a different way and those people want better facilities, whether that be seating, modern surroundings , a big stadium experience and to watch football at the highest level possible. We are light years behind City in those areas. 

As someone that has always said that the Premier League is far from being my Holy Grail,most of my fondest City memories seem to be from when we were in League One. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Offers or not, the gates are still outstanding. Meanwhile, we seem to be doing our utmost to make it difficult for supporters to attend.

You must have a relative in the "stadium" who has a photocopied season ticket that can be passed through the fence for you, surely?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Those area line were never as defined as some think.
I grew up in BS2 , my mates were City too. Went to Whitefield and there were plenty of City there and we used to run coaches from the Maypole in Hanham in the 80s . I had plenty of mates in Kingswood & Hanham that were City , Easton and Fishponds too , I have mates that grew up in Filton . Overall maybe , but never as black & White ( Red & Blue) as it has been painted at times.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think the rugby has a lot to do with things, clearly when Lansdown added them to his Bristol Sport operation they were always destined to end up at Ashton Gate, but I always got the impression that Rovers saw the rugby as an unfortunate tennant they were stuck with.

Fair enough, the Mem (as it stands now) wouldn't have been suitable for top flight rugby, but back then there seemed to be no attempt from either club to attract fans from either sport to watch the other.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I grew up in BS2 , my mates were City too. Went to Whitefield and there were plenty of City there and we used to run coaches from the Maypole in Hanham in the 80s . I had plenty of mates in Kingswood & Hanham that were City , Easton and Fishponds too , I have mates that grew up in Filton . Overall maybe , but never as black & White ( Red & Blue) as it has been painted at times.

Hanham, St George have always been mixed, but I'm surprised what you say about Fishponds. Were you born in 1960? I was born in 64, went to Whitefield and it was pretty much solid Rovers when I went there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Hanham, St George have always been mixed, but I'm surprised what you say about Fishponds. Were you born in 1960? I was born in 64, went to Whitefield and it was pretty much solid Rovers when I went there.

I was born in 1960 - grew up from the age of 7 in Forest Road, Kingswood.  From memory, I seem to remember as many City as Rovers at school as I always used to dread the Gloucester Cup as we always seemed to lose (maybe that's because it's a painful memory).  I remember the old Rovers club shop down at the Kingsway.  The rivalry isn't the same any more - or maybe that's because I don't live in Bristol any more.

11 minutes ago, cheese said:

I was born in 1960 - grew up from the age of 7 in Forest Road, Kingswood.  From memory, I seem to remember as many City as Rovers at school as I always used to dread the Gloucester Cup as we always seemed to lose (maybe that's because it's a painful memory).  I remember the old Rovers club shop down at the Kingsway.  The rivalry isn't the same any more - or maybe that's because I don't live in Bristol any more.

The rivalry isn't the same anymore & its due to how much progress we have made in a relatively short space of time and probably more how they've regressed in that same period.

I really don't see them as a rival anymore and couldn't care less if we never played them again.

For them to be a rival there has to be some common ground to dispute and there really isn't anything to compare. That's not being bigheaded or dismissive, there really isnt anything. More importantly there is now a whole body of fans who have never witnessed a derby match. Our rivalry is Cardiff & Swansea, there's is Swindon & Cheltenham.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yep, 1960. many of the lads in my year , that were vocal about it, were City. My mates anyway. 

Went to watch the Chelsea V Everton game and have a Curry ,with a few lads that were in the year above me, the other week. They were all City too.

Edited by 1960maaan

11 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Moved from Hartcliffe to St Paul’s when I was 3,when growing up there I can remember games of football in St Agnes park ,City v Rovers,definitely 50/50.My older brothers also went to Whitefield,they were proper late sixties Skinheads🙂.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Worked in Fishponds (Lodge House) in the early 80s, so around ‘83-‘88, it definitely seemed to be more blue than red then.

Grew up in St.George in the 60s/70s, that was definitely 50/50.

I grew up and went to school in 1970s Wiltshire. All the football talk was about the big teams. No one else even went to watch professional football, it was your local town game Saturday and The Big Match on Sunday.

Then for the last couple of years there was a lad in class who had moved out of Bristol and was a City fan. I finally had someone to talk to during Monday morning maths about the game we had seen 2 days before.

It was great to chat about our heroes, not so good for my maths though.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Worked in Fishponds (Lodge House) in the early 80s, so around ‘83-‘88, it definitely seemed to be more blue than red then.

Grew up in St.George in the 60s/70s, that was definitely 50/50.

I’m a St George boy too, Graham - born in our house on Summerhill Road in ‘55. Always considered that part of Bristol 5 to be a 50:50 split; my dad took me to AG whereas another relative took me Eastville. I was football mad so I didn’t complain but there was only ever one team in my heart. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I’m a St George boy too, Graham - born in our house on Summerhill Road in ‘55. Always considered that part of Bristol 5 to be a 50:50 split; my dad took me to AG whereas another relative took me Eastville. I was football mad so I didn’t complain but there was only ever one team in my heart. 

Lived just up from the fountain from my year of birth (‘63) until I left home in ‘86. Went to Summerhill school of course.

My old man is from BS3, so he took me to the true home of football from a very early age- a lucky escape because my mum’s side of the family were all gas..

• Like 2

Grew up living in Winterbourne in 70s and finding a City fan was a rarity, it was all gas. We even had Rovers boss Bert Tanns daughter as our teacher, Rovers players came to the school regularly. For me it was always City after my dad took me to a game.

• Robin 1

21 hours ago, Slacker said:

As someone that has always said that the Premier League is far from being my Holy Grail,most of my fondest City memories seem to be from when we were in League One. 

Mine will always be the 0-0 v Fulham following the Ashton Gate Eight & club survival (or not, if you ask a Gashead).

21 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

That’s a coincidence. My sister was born in 64 and also went to Whitefield.  You may remember her as she once led the students out on strike.

2 hours ago, Bobby girl said:

Grew up living in Winterbourne in 70s and finding a City fan was a rarity, it was all gas. We even had Rovers boss Bert Tanns daughter as our teacher, Rovers players came to the school regularly. For me it was always City after my dad took me to a game.

That’s interesting.

By the mid/late 1970s, both The Globe and The Wheatsheaf were staunchly City.