IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

55 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I think this proves that we all have different perceptions based on who we know. I grew up in Patchway in the 1970s and 80s, where it's commonly reckoned to be a solid Rovers area - yet I knew plenty of City fans in Patchway even back then. Promotion to the top flight in 75/76 probably made a difference. 

Likewise, 75/76 made a difference in Hanham, probably more City than Rovers at that time.

The parents at my primary school were 50/50 too - Sir Gerry Gow for us, Peter Aitken for them (although he eventually saw the light and defected, of course).

On 01/05/2024 at 17:59, Open End Numb Legs said:

My view is the 'areas' thing is in the past, for any team in any city. Life just isn't like that any more, what with work, transport, education, accommodation.

Perhaps some of your generation have given up somewhat on catching up with City and the next youth generation have less rivalry in mind.

You’re almost right with regard to Bristol. Work, transport and accommodation play a part, but the overriding factor is education. For the educated, there’s only OTIB, whilst the knuckle draggers flock to the Mem.

12 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

It was great to chat about our heroes, not so good for my maths though.

Although I first thought that sums it up nicely, something doesn’t seem to add up.

However, I don’t wish to take away anything from what you’ve said.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2024 at 23:04, Swede said:

The rivalry isn't the same anymore & its due to how much progress we have made in a relatively short space of time and probably more how they've regressed in that same period.

I really don't see them as a rival anymore and couldn't care less if we never played them again.

For them to be a rival there has to be some common ground to dispute and there really isn't anything to compare. That's not being bigheaded or dismissive, there really isnt anything. More importantly there is now a whole body of fans who have never witnessed a derby match. Our rivalry is Cardiff & Swansea, there's is Swindon & Cheltenham.

Despite the material differences we're still only one division apart

49 minutes ago, JAWS said:

But then we’re only one division apart from Man City, I can’t see us being of similar stature to them any time soon…

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

But then we’re only one division apart from Man City, I can’t see us being of similar stature to them any time soon…

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

But we could easily be in the same division as rvrs which would seem quite stark being 'light years' apart off the field

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Bobby girl said:

Grew up living in Winterbourne in 70s and finding a City fan was a rarity, it was all gas. We even had Rovers boss Bert Tanns daughter as our teacher, Rovers players came to the school regularly. For me it was always City after my dad took me to a game.

I find this a but odd. Did you ever frequent the Swan?

There were about 15 of us who were in there most nights. We would all meet up together before games, over the years pubs changed.

Some of us would always be at away games, usually hiring a mini bus, or if needed a Luton van.

There was also Hacker's coaches. I'm sure many old boys remember Paul.

Yes there were a number of Rovers supporters around. But most of them haven't been since Eastville. Whereas myself and all my old mates still go.

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

But we could easily be in the same division as rvrs which would seem quite stark being 'light years' apart off the field

I don’t know when you last looked at the league table? We’re top half & could finish 10th.

Based on your logic Brighton “could easily” be in the Championship.

Sunderland are in the division above Burton Albion, no one seriously thinks they are similar sized clubs.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, JAWS said:

What a strange comment to make!

Despite the material differences we're still only one division apart from Man City!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know when you last looked at the league table? We’re top half & could finish 10th.

Sunderland are in the division above Burton Albion, no one seriously thinks they are similar sized clubs.

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

Despite the material differences we're still only one division apart from Man City!  

I have some sympathy with the concern that the next promotion might be them rather than us. It's not enough to keep me awake at night, but I'm always glad when their chances of smuggling their way into a play off place are extinguished. 

Realistically, we're unlikely to be getting promoted to the prem anytime soon IMO, so for the gap to be maintained we're reliant upon that lot failing to get their sh*t together. Thankfully, they're proving very adept at that. 

Not convinced that even if they did somehow, miraculously, get in the championship they would stay in it too long, without some serious investment though. 

For the time being I'm quite happy pointing out their irrelevance whenever someone at work attempts to engage me in conversation about them. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

We're nowhere near being in the same division as that rabble

Anyway let's not forget the hilarious moment from ten years ago today, just a shame they didn't go the same way as Torquay 

FB_IMG_1714715387666.jpg

On 01/05/2024 at 20:41, Slacker said:

As someone that has always said that the Premier League is far from being my Holy Grail,most of my fondest City memories seem to be from when we were in League One. 

I can relate to that, as I'm sure can many others. I know a Bournemouth fan, who was home and away with them for years, away games in a private coach or mini bus all with the same bunch of mates. The last time I spoke to him, he had lost his love for the game. Kick off times always changing, unable to get tickets with mates etc. The first season was fun, going to all the big grounds, but that soon wore off, and his best away day in recent years was apparantly at Watford, because it was a 3pm kick off on a Saturday and all his old gang could get together.

As I said, I still have some great days out with Rovers, but middle aged and old men who don't buy merchandise and enjoy going out on the piss in real pubs rather than a concourse bar are not the demographic clubs are looking for, and strictly on business lines, who can blame them?

13 hours ago, bredwood said:

That’s a coincidence. My sister was born in 64 and also went to Whitefield.  You may remember her as she once led the students out on strike.

Louise?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I can relate to that, as I'm sure can many others. I know a Bournemouth fan, who was home and away with them for years, away games in a private coach or mini bus all with the same bunch of mates. The last time I spoke to him, he had lost his love for the game. Kick off times always changing, unable to get tickets with mates etc. The first season was fun, going to all the big grounds, but that soon wore off, and his best away day in recent years was apparantly at Watford, because it was a 3pm kick off on a Saturday and all his old gang could get together.

As I said, I still have some great days out with Rovers, but middle aged and old men who don't buy merchandise and enjoy going out on the piss in real pubs rather than a concourse bar are not the demographic clubs are looking for, and strictly on business lines, who can blame them?

I've had a similar conversation with mates. If we ever got there I think I'd go as much as possible , then I would seriously consider what I was doing next. If we did get up it would be unlikely we would stay for long enough to get disillusioned , but not sure it would take that long.
I have a Norwich mate , after loving doing well in the Championship he hated the Prem . 

The guys I go with pick a few games a year for an away day , I love Saturday afternoons in different towns . Playing away on Sundays afternoon, Monday nights or what ever, just doesn't appeal to me.  Gone are the days we had vans or coaches going to every game religiously . 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've had a similar conversation with mates. If we ever got there I think I'd go as much as possible , then I would seriously consider what I was doing next. If we did get up it would be unlikely we would stay for long enough to get disillusioned , but not sure it would take that long.
I have a Norwich mate , after loving doing well in the Championship he hated the Prem . 

The guys I go with pick a few games a year for an away day , I love Saturday afternoons in different towns . Playing away on Sundays afternoon, Monday nights or what ever, just doesn't appeal to me.  Gone are the days we had vans or coaches going to every game religiously . 

Yes, I think those days are in the past for anyone who supports a higher level club. We used to run a coach from the Pied to every single away game for a few years in the 90s- including our stint in the second tier, which would be hard work for fans of a Championship club to do now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 'Bourne said:

I find this a but odd. Did you ever frequent the Swan?

There were about 15 of us who were in there most nights. We would all meet up together before games, over the years pubs changed.

Some of us would always be at away games, usually hiring a mini bus, or if needed a Luton van.

There was also Hacker's coaches. I'm sure many old boys remember Paul.

Yes there were a number of Rovers supporters around. But most of them haven't been since Eastville. Whereas myself and all my old mates still go.

For some unknown reason, I referred to The Globe in my earlier post, when, of course, I meant The Swan.

We probably shared some of Hacker’s coaches 😉.

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Tom very kindly dug the radio Bristol post match phone in for me last year, after a twitter pleas. Here it is in all its glory.  Enjoy it. 

I remember listening to this live, it must have been around 2am (Australia) time. One of the funniest things I've ever heard, especially Thatcher years man 😂.  Thanks for digging it out! 

6 hours ago, phantom said:

We're nowhere near being in the same division as that rabble

Anyway let's not forget the hilarious moment from ten years ago today, just a shame they didn't go the same way as Torquay 

FB_IMG_1714715387666.jpg

Wait.....that can't be right, they beat Wycombe the week before and their fans were singing 'we are staying up'....can't be right. Oh hang on.....

....step forward, Sir Colin of Daniel!!

• Haha 2

Oh how I cherish that glorious day a decade ago. Was at my son’s morning football match and was going doolally on the touchline when the news filtered through from the Pisspoorial that they’d snatched relegation from the jaws of safety.

Another parent thought I was celebrating my son scoring a goal…

Edited by WessexPest

23 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Oh how I cherish that glorious day a decade ago. Was at my son’s morning football match and was going doolally on the touchline when the news filtered through from the Pisspoorial that they’d snatched relegation from the jaws of safety.

Another parent thought I was celebrating my son scoring a goal…

I strolled around Morrisons not really thinking that it was even a remote possibility that Rovers could **** it up so badly.

I checked BBC football in the car park for Citys score then thought I might as well look at L2. That was about 16:40.

The following 15 minutes seemed like 15 hours 🤣

Absolutely hilarious!

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I strolled around Morrisons not really thinking that it was even a remote possibility that Rovers could **** it up so badly.

I checked BBC football in the car park for Citys score then thought I might as well look at L2. That was about 16:40.

Absolutely hilarious!

Yes, I just KNEW they were going equalise and get out of it, just like they did in the Rammell season, whenever that was.

I couldn’t believe it that they had been relegated to the conference. And even though they made an immediate return and then the bastards got back to back promotions, it was really only the start of the fun.

The crowd trouble after the game. Being the shit losers they are trying to appeal relegation, bleating on about Wycombe screwing them over, losing to Altrincham and rioting at Braintree, FA Trophy humiliation at home to Bath - and all while we were having our best season in living memory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swede said:

Not really seeing as in recent seasons we've been looking down more than up & had dodgy runs that have had us concerned about being dragged in. Think most would admit that? So its quite plausible for us to go down. Less inclined to say the sags would go up. Man City will never be in a similar position (ffp issues aside) so you can't compare.

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Absolutely hilarious!

I`d been working up in Dorset and was driving home down the A303. I had to pull into a layby as I couldn`t drive safely any more due to laughing so much.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I didn't say similar size just that we could easily go down, on the basis we've flirted in recent seasons. It wasn't long ago (before the unbeaten run) people were getting twitchy as we'd been on a barren run

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Tom very kindly dug the radio Bristol post match phone in for me last year, after a twitter pleas. Here it is in all its glory.  Enjoy it. 

Listening now.

That tosser moaning that the City game was on the radio, instead of the 15, then GT tells him he was listening on the wrong frequency !

Haha, sag wanchor !

• Haha 10

If Rovers need a new home;  may I suggest Dunlewey Celtic? They are located in Donegal, but thier ground could cope with an influx or thousands quite easily.