IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

11 minutes ago, harrys said:

The atmosphere for that Louis Donawa game was incredible, the best I've ever experienced at a Derby game, was it the game where loads were locked out, even season ticket holders? Whichever game that was I was one of the ones locked out and hundreds just charged the gates of the Williams and stormed in

Nah that was the Jan 1996 0-2 game....

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

No excuse - just a fact of life for us at the moment. Cheapest way of increasing the ground capacity I presume?

So just how long has it been "at the moment"..? 

It must be the last quarter of a century that you've had tents making up part of your ground isn't it..? Or was it a more recent modification at the Mem..?! 

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Obviously I have no love for that mob in the quarters, but to say they were lucky for 'well over a decade' is a bit embarrassing...unfortunately Gerry Francis got a squad of limited players to play to a set pattern and they ended up eventually winning the division at our expense.

I'm not sure how you can justify saying they had ten years of 'Gas luck' - but I'm happy to be proved wrong, obviously!

Also, interesting that you were happy to leave early in the 1991 game from the East End in a tense derby game...I thought it was only those from the Dolman who did that?!

Nothing embarrassing about Rovers luck. They had it in abundance back then. We absolutely tore them apart in most of the games that I remember but they got away with it and then fluked a victory.

Never left early in the East End. Just moved round closer to the exit under the Williams Stand.

Rovers never won the league in 1990, we bottled it. We walked the league for pretty much the entire season and they robbed us like they robbed the Mem from the Rugby club.

Bunch of hoof ball donkeys winning the 3rd Division Championship, now that IS embarrassing!

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

So just how long has it been "at the moment"..? 

It must be the last quarter of a century that you've had tents making up part of your ground isn't it..? Or was it a more recent modification at the Mem..?! 

South Stand tent has been there approx 15 years - apart from the annual summer vacations to Wimbledon. Guiness tent in situ for a couple of seasons, then disappeared. This season a South-West tent has been added.

As has often been mentioned on here, our owners are not billionaires, so have to cut their cloth - or tent canvas - accordingly! :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

South Stand tent has been there approx 15 years - apart from the annual summer vacations to Wimbledon. Guiness tent in situ for a couple of seasons, then disappeared. This season a South-West tent has been added.

As has often been mentioned on here, our owners are not billionaires, so have to cut their cloth - or tent canvas - accordingly! :whistle:

Just rename it the 'Tents R Us' stadium......

And shock horror, your owner isn't a billionaire? Hold the front page! He has a problem with numbers too.

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

And it's good that you can see the humour of it. With this in mind however, aren't Rovers fans starting to realise that the much lauded progress and catching us up and new ground are still just as distant a dream as they have been for the last 16+ years..?

59 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

The sprinklers are Championship ready though.

Their new sprinklers will be our downfall, I can see it now. 

It's the first thing they've had that competes with us for 16+ years. 

If that's not progress and a sign that they are "coming for us" then I don't know what is..! 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Their new sprinklers will be our downfall, I can see it now. 

It's the first thing they've had that competes with us for 16+ years. 

If that's not progress and a sign that they are "coming for us" then I don't know what is..! 

Don't forget...they have a potential car park at the UWE!

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Self deprecating , amusing , truthful and informative.  Someone has obviously hacked the gAss account ;)

13 hours ago, harrys said:

The atmosphere for that Louis Donawa game was incredible, the best I've ever experienced at a Derby game, was it the game where loads were locked out, even season ticket holders? Whichever game that was I was one of the ones locked out and hundreds just charged the gates of the Williams and stormed in

No that was a different game.

I was locked out of the Louis Donawa game which was in 1991, I remember getting back to my flat in Redcliffe and hearing the noise from the crowd.  There was still terracing at that game in 1991 and yet there was still 100s locked out because these matches was never all ticket.

The Williams gates was forced in about 95/96 , it was the first season we played Rovers having been relegated back to the 3rd tier. The capacity was now just over 20,000 but it was still pay on the day as before, but over 25,000 turned up, gates was forced and both 1000s of City and Rovers fans were locked out.

Did more fans turn up to watch that derby match than ever before or should we take the attendances of Rovers and even Swindon matches during the 80s and early 90s with a massive pinch of salt.

17 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Difficult one really, I think smaller grounds like the Dell were intimidating for away teams, in the premier, yet Wigan survived ten years in there when often their fans were in the minority.

I disagree with this often peddled myth about Wigan's attendances. They were in the premier league for eight seasons and always averaged between 17,000 and 21,000 at home games every season. There's no way they were often in the minority at home.

And as a percentage of their population, they consistently got way bigger crowds than we could hope for...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I disagree with this often peddled myth about Wigan's attendances. They were in the premier league for eight seasons and always averaged between 17,000 and 21,000 at home games every season. There's no way they were often in the minority at home.

And as a percentage of their population, they consistently got way bigger crowds than we could hope for...

That is surprising, I didn't think they got that many.

On the train back from Charlton Athletic Wael sat next to God and God said to him you seem like a nice bloke I’ll grant you three wishes. Yippee said Wael my first wish is for a brand new stadium and lo and behold a shiny new all seater stadium suddenly appeared on the UWE campus. Then Wael said my second wish is for a state of the art training ground and lo and behold a superb new training ground (just like Fleetwood’s) dropped out of the sky and onto Hortham Lane, Almondsbury. Wael was completely overcome with excitement so God said calm down young man or you’ll wake up Stephen Hamster now what is your final wish. And Wael said I’m fed up with  being a phoney Gashead so my final wish is to become a true Gashead and lo and behold he sprouted a little beer belly and his eyes began to glaze over. But at the exact same moment the new stadium and the new training ground both disappeared in a puff of smoke. OMG said Wael what shall I do now ?  My club will have to stay put at the ramshackle old Mem and train on any patch of waste ground we can find to rent. That’s right said God, but you did say you wanted to become a true Gashead.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, bert tann said:

On the train back from Charlton Athletic Wael sat next to God and God said to him you seem like a nice bloke I’ll grant you three wishes. Yippee said Wael my first wish is for a brand new stadium and lo and behold a shiny new all seater stadium suddenly appeared on the UWE campus. Then Wael said my second wish is for a state of the art training ground and lo and behold a superb new training ground (just like Fleetwood’s) dropped out of the sky and onto Hortham Lane, Almondsbury. Wael was completely overcome with excitement so God said calm down young man or you’ll wake up Stephen Hamster now what is your final wish. And Wael said I’m fed up with  being a phoney Gashead so my final wish is to become a true Gashead and lo and behold he sprouted a little beer belly and his eyes began to glaze over. But at the exact same moment the new stadium and the new training ground both disappeared in a puff of smoke. OMG said Wael what shall I do now ?  My club will have to stay put at the ramshackle old Mem and train on any patch of waste ground we can find to rent. That’s right said God, but you did say you wanted to become a true Gashead.

Comedy gold.