IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

13 hours ago, Smaller than a flea said:

One point off the playoffs.  Conference side. No money invested by Wael.  Crap stadium.

i genuinely think if we manage to get promoted this season we will go straight back down again unless Wael produces the millions he hasn't so far.

But, but, but, despite all that, it will be two massive games for us and you if it actually happens.

You know it's true.

What a stupid post.

Weal has cleared our debts,is in the process of buying/brought land for our training ground and has been able keep our best ever manager and our best player which we have never been able to do before!

From day one Weal has said about building our club from the ground up.If we started throwing money about like lansdown did at city in years gone by while we are still at the Mem we will be screwed.Fair play for lansdown for spending £50 million on a bristol club,but he did it before City were ready and had the foundations to support it eg: Ashton gates rebuild and it's the same with us at the Mem.

As for us having a 'conference side' .... you sound like one of those moaners that go to the mem and would rather see a poor BRFC then any successful one,and now have a bee in your bonnet because we have had 2 and a half great years.

These are the people that have to play the victim and would rather have dunceford and higgs still here as there was a clear enemy/ disease in our club at the time and can't get over, or accept that we are now progressive club and are no longer 'ragbag Rovers' - well not in the long term.

DC has made a couple of mistakes in the loan system this season,but that "conference" side that also got promotion last season,and has us with a very good sniff of the playoffs with 20 games to go this term and that is ok by me.

Just for the record, I think that if we were to go up this year then we would be more than likely to come back down straight away.But if clubs like Burton,Rotherham, wigan ,brentford  and to a lesser extent -  preston can survive in the championship in years gone by on the same crowds that we would get in the mem ...why not get up when we can?

16 minutes ago, icegas said:

What a stupid post.

Weal has cleared our debts,is in the process of buying/brought land for our training ground and has been able keep our best ever manager and our best player which we have never been able to do before!

From day one Weal has said about building our club from the ground up.If we started throwing money about like lansdown did at city in years gone by while we are still at the Mem we will be screwed.Fair play for lansdown for spending £50 million on a bristol club,but he did it before City were ready and had the foundations to support it eg: Ashton gates rebuild and it's the same with us at the Mem.

As for us having a 'conference side' .... you sound like one of those moaners that go to the mem and would rather see a poor BRFC then any successful one,and now have a bee in your bonnet because we have had 2 and a half great years.

These are the people that have to play the victim and would rather have dunceford and higgs still here as there was a clear enemy/ disease in our club at the time and can't get over, or accept that we are now progressive club and are no longer 'ragbag Rovers' - well not in the long term.

DC has made a couple of mistakes in the loan system this season,but that "conference" side that also got promotion last season,and has us with a very good sniff of the playoffs with 20 games to go this term and that is ok by me.

Just for the record, I think that if we were to go up this year then we would be more than likely to come back down straight away.But if clubs like Burton,Rotherham, wigan ,brentford  and to a lesser extent -  preston can survive in the championship in years gone by on the same crowds that we would get in the mem ...why not get up when we can?

Spot on with your last paragraph, the thought that if you go up you will bounce straight back down is nonsense, makes a change to hear a positive gas instead of one talking about stability and just being grateful for where they are, you are showing the ambition of a City fan, does this make you fickle?

36 minutes ago, icegas said:

What a stupid post.

There are some good points here, but one fundamental error. Rovers are owned by a holding company Dwayne Sports so the debt hasn't really gone away, it's just transferred to an offshore account. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are some good points here, but one fundamental error. Rovers are owned by a holding company Dwayne Sports so the debt hasn't really gone away, it's just transferred to an offshore account. 

Good luck with that one.

In order to continue claiming that 'City are a franchise club haha' and 'Lansdown is a tax dodger' they have to deny all knowledge of their club's finances being run via an offshore company in exactly the same way that we are.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

The MSP loan has been cleared. What Wael said was the other debt would be cleared over time. Not sure many of our fans actually remeber those smaller details. The remaining debt though is basically owed to Nick Higgs and the other former directors

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Good luck with that one.

In order to continue claiming that 'City are a franchise club haha' and 'Lansdown is a tax dodger' they have to deny all knowledge of their club's finances being run via an offshore company in exactly the same way that we are.

I hate the whole tax dodger thing people throw around. If Steve Lansdown wants to live in Guernsey and limit the time he can spend on the mainland thats his perogative.

The only issue I have, is if I had SLs money, i woyld probably have chose the Bahamas or something

1 hour ago, Hello said:

I hate the whole tax dodger thing people throw around. If Steve Lansdown wants to live in Guernsey and limit the time he can spend on the mainland thats his perogative.

The only issue I have, is if I had SLs money, i woyld probably have chose the Bahamas or something

Never really understood the issue either - it's not as though he's commited tax fraud.

3 hours ago, icegas said:

What a stupid post.

Preston are much better supported than your shower of shite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

So with both teams at home yesterday us on a six game losing run and a poor FA cup draw and them flirting with the play offs and thus had an important league game. What were the relevant attendances?

They had 8424 for a very important league game.

We had a paltry 10,301 for a cup game which didn't really get the pulses racing. I would hope we, at least, double that next week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

We had a paltry 10,301 for a cup game which didn't really get the pulses racing. I would hope we, at least, double that next week.

I`m just waiting for the comparison from the two trips to Fleetwood. Theirs, league game on a Saturday, ours, cup replay on a Tuesday (probably with a crap draw as a reward for winning).

Ours will of course be lower, we know that, but it won`t stop them crowing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m just waiting for the comparison from the two trips to Fleetwood. Theirs, league game on a Saturday, ours, cup replay on a Tuesday (probably with a crap draw as a reward for winning).

Which, of course, you wouldn't do if the fixtures were reversed! :whistle:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We could always compare our away followings at Fulham, Newcastle and Villa? 

No, hang on, there's a problem with that! ;) 

At least if we lose the replay, we get to play a Villa side without Kodjia. 

Edited by 8menhadadream

1 hour ago, 8menhadadream said:

I know this is a wind up post wanting a bite,but it's very hard to gauge respective crowds until we are in the UWE.

For example - this past year we have had ... for the first time ever! someone at board level that wants to take us places,and have the funds and contacts to do this -and our gates have rised to a season avg of over 8k last season, and a current avg of 9.2k so far this season.The mem is shocking.....truely shocking and even tho old ashton gate was a palace compared to the mem and it puts off many people going.

It's not a knock at you,but you wouldn't have got 10k for yesterday's game two seasons ago before the rebuild.A new ground,or a rebuild like yours helps every club that gets one. Look at Swansea, Hull, reading Wigan etc... they all have increased,if not double the crowds once in new arenas and all were getting the same or less at home the we were before relegation in 2014.

Rovers in the UWE would see a huge increase in there drawling power,just like every club does.We have never -  as fans been afforded good facilities or investment like you have with lansdown or Davidson etc.  The next 5 years once in the UWE will see what BRFC could really do.

5 minutes ago, icegas said:

I know this is a wind up post wanting a bite,but it's very hard to gauge respective crowds until we are in the UWE.

For example - this past year we have had ... for the first time ever! someone at board level that wants to take us places,and have the funds and contacts to do this -and our gates have rised to a season avg of over 8k last season, and a current avg of 9.2k so far this season.The mem is shocking.....truely shocking and even tho old ashton gate was a palace compared to the mem and it puts off many people going.

It's not a knock at you,but you wouldn't have got 10k for yesterday's game two seasons ago before the rebuild.A new ground,or a rebuild like yours helps every club that gets one. Look at Swansea, Hull, reading Wigan etc... they all have increased,if not double the crowds once in new arenas and all were getting the same or less at home the we were before relegation in 2014.

Rovers in the UWE would see a huge increase in there drawling power,just like every club does.We have never -  as fans been afforded good facilities or investment like you have with lansdown or Davidson etc.  The next 5 years once in the UWE will see what BRFC could really do.

Serious question. Do you honestly believe that you will ever have a stadium at the UWE or will you end up staying at a revamped mem?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, icegas said:

I don't disagree that any new stadium would see an increase, fair comment. My issue (yes, I was after a nibble, thanks for that) is that you can fill your 'shocking' stadium sometimes so what's the excuse for 8000 home fans for Northampton when you are near the top of the table? I have no idea what we averaged at the old Gate when we were near the top of L1 but it was a lot more than 8k. During the promotion season, with a reduced capacity and a ground which was a building site, we were sold out, for home tickets, at virtually every game and the ground was an absolute mess at the time.

Swansea, Hull, Reading AND Wigan were promoted to the top table as their new grounds appeared, even you could probably sell out if that ever happened to you, we definitely would. ;)

As RRH asked, do you believe the UWE will still happen? Not having a dig, just interested.

Edited by 8menhadadream

15 minutes ago, icegas said:

It's not a knock at you,but you wouldn't have got 10k for yesterday's game two seasons ago before the rebuild.

You sure about that?

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2014/01/18/england/league-one/bristol-city-fc/milton-keynes-dons-fc/1484885/

3 years ago this month. Before the rebuild. In the league 1 relegation zone following 3 years of utterly abmyssal football under O Driscoll, McInnes and Millen. 11,500 fans still turning up.

This is one of a billion examples I could drag up to ridicule your claim that your crowds can compete with ours. Check your facts before posting.

Edited by Kim_il_sung
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, icegas said:

Rovers in the UWE would see a huge increase in there drawling power,just like every club does.We have never -  as fans been afforded good facilities or investment like you have with lansdown or Davidson etc.  The next 5 years once in the UWE will see what BRFC could really do.

Stop punching your horse, and drink your milk.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, icegas said:

Ashton gate could be a pile of rubble but I would still go, as would the core support. Our core support came out in the later days of SOD because, trust me, winter evenings watching that drivel and that abjectness was more offputing than a dump could ever be. In spite of the ground and its facilities I could have been weeks away from staying away had SOD lasted longer (perhaps I'm not core)....

anyway the crux of what I'm getting at is absolute poppycock the stadium keeps people away or gets that many more bums our way. We are not getting fairweathers in our run. We are not going to reap the usual rewards of increase for a new stadium as a result of a day-by-day rebuild with our last remaining stand partially open anyway. I / we don't go to football for the facilities - I've been to fking Oxford away :colder: - we go because it's in our blood. 

Sorry to say mate, we would have got 10k and you'll never convince me otherwise. I think the difference lies not in the ground but our successes in the 2000's and development there and your failures. I think in that decade was when the gulf in clubs grew and our core support grew too. That sustained Championship period at the later whilst you were fighting to stay in league one benefitted us and hurt you beyond measure. So much so that yea, mid table league one I think we would have dwarfed you. 

To add some measure I think it is remarkable how far you've come in a short space of time.  I think you will establish yourselves as a very solid league one side and flirt with the championship sooner than you will League Two. As much as I want to dislike Clarke he is clearly going to have a good career and keeping him is vital for you. He knows a good player and can spot those who can grow. Your training method must be decent at worst for how your core group has come on so there must be a good back room staff there. Your coaching staff are demonstrating why investment in training facilities is worthwhile: look at what they are doing already. 

As for Wael not sure he's been a revelation. I think he's riding the crest of a very good team in place when he arrived. The position you are in now, gotta be the time to make £1-2m available and see what comes. If you get 4 good signings on 3 year contracts you should have sell ons and set you up for next year if you fall short this. I can see the argument against chucking money when not ready but you point out the clubs yourself a couple of posts above not too far apart from you who have been respectable in this league. Yeovil did it all on the cheap and are paying for it but investment is worth it.  They went too far the other way. I feel Rovers could do that too. £1-2m today might get you there tomorrow, or get you there a year later. Spent wisely it won't be wasted. We bought a lot of youth this year: they have fallen short. I'm yet to say we've blown our money though because next year they might get there and at worst they have sell on value. 

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, icegas said:

You haven't got the funds though have you ?

8 hours ago, icegas said:

What a stupid post.

Can you two please get a room?

......or would that be too expensive?

10 hours ago, icegas said:

What a stupid post.

Holy sh*t!  I wooshed one of my own men.

• Like 2