IGNORED

Harry Cornick Signs (Confirmed)

AshtonRobin21

I think there’s a huge chance we get both tbh. If we are sticking with 433, we’re currently an injury away for having to change that. Sounds like Mehmeti is £1m release fee, and Cornick is ‘nominal’ as he’s OOC. 

The amount of money saved this month, and probably more to come tomorrow, makes signing both + a cb very doable and not ‘hoarding’ either. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bcfc24 said:

Not a chance we are signing both so my prediction is Cornick is off so they have moved for Mehmeti

NP did say he was looking for an attacking midfielder before Semenyo left. Maybe Cornick is the midfielder and Mehmeti the replacement for Semenyo?

• Like 1

Cornick more naturally on the right wing but versatile to play across the front line, maybe more-so competition for Sykes on the right side? 

Mehmeti more of a left winger. 

Interesting if both are confirmed tomorrow, no lack of depth in the three forward positions.  

Bell, Weimann, Cornick, Mehmeti and Sykes with the versatility to play off of Wells or Conway. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think there’s a huge chance we get both tbh. If we are sticking with 433, we’re currently an injury away for having to change that. Sounds like Mehmeti is £1m release fee, and Cornick is ‘nominal’ as he’s OOC. 

The amount of money saved this month, and probably more to come tomorrow, makes signing both + a cb very doable and not ‘hoarding’ either. 

the-road-to-el-dorado-both.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Cornick more naturally on the right wing but versatile to play across the front line, maybe more-so competition for Sykes on the right side? 

Mehmeti more of a left winger. 

Interesting if both are confirmed tomorrow, no lack of depth in the three forward positions.  

Bell, Weimann, Cornick, Mehmeti and Sykes with the versatility to play off of Wells or Conway. 

This is exactly what I think Pearson is aiming for, 4-3-3 is suiting us much better and whilst we have some good attacking talent we don't have a lot of natural wide players so bringing in these two would not only add the depth across the front three but would help our young strikers like Bell and Conway have some players to work with on that in training.

I think we're finally at that point whereby Pearson can actually start to build his squad rather than using what we have from previous management eras. With so many outs finally being possible it's allowing Pearson to bring in players of quality that fit the system he wants us to play. I still maintain we played 5-3-2/3-5-2 for so long under Pearson was because that was the system that was in place and that was what the squad was built around. With the contracts of players running down he can finally bring in players that will not only offer quality but will suit the changes Pearsons wanted to make to our tactical aspect. 

I'm quite excited to see what happens tommorrow and for the first time in a while I feel like Pearson is finally getting the squad to resemble what he wanted to achieve, a solid summer with Scott most likely moving on to fund further changes and I think next season we could have a much more robust and exciting style.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I really don't see how people are thinking it's one or the other. Why can't it be both? They play different positions. 

Agreed. I'm hopeful it's both as while Semenyo leaving so is Martin perhaps. He's not in first team plans anyway.

Cornick, Mehmeti, plus seemingly Bell as we saw Saturday and Sykes of course can play wider as well as CM and RWB if required.

Weimann, Wells, Conway and perhaps Bell through the centre- real depth and variety.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. I'm hopeful it's both as while Semenyo leaving so is Martin perhaps. He's not in first team plans anyway.

Cornick, Mehmeti, plus seemingly Bell as we saw Saturday and Sykes of course can play wider as well as CM and RWB if required.

Weimann, Wells, Conway and perhaps Bell through the centre- real depth and variety.

It looks to me that Cornick plays either as a striker or as a RW? But can also play on the left, but rarely. 

Where as Mehmeti plays as a Attacking midfielder or a left winger. 

So I really can't see how it's one or the other when they play different positions. 

If we are going 433 like it looks we are then Mehmeti seems to be the player that can take Semenyos position on the left. If we sign Mehmeti then I think we need another one for the left but that can probably wait til the summer. 

I'd be interested to see where we plan on playing Cornick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably means nothing but the agency Cornick is under has a few familiar names to us on their books. 

Mawson 

Owura Edwards

James Taylor

Zac Smith

Opi Edwards

James Morton

Jake Andrews

And Dean Gerken.

So it's clear we've had quite a lot of dealings with that small agency which can only help us in this transfer. Especially as Gerken is now on our coaching staff.

I think signing both is a real possibility.

4-3-3 seems to suit us perfectly, and our wide options are minimal in the sense that we only really have Sykes and Bell (striker). 

Cornick/Sykes would cover the right side, whereas Mehmeti/Bell are then options for the left. 

Conway, Weimann, Wells as central options.

This would give us a wide range of options.

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I think signing both is a real possibility.

4-3-3 seems to suit us perfectly, and our wide options are minimal in the sense that we only really have Sykes and Bell (striker). 

Cornick/Sykes would cover the right side, whereas Mehmeti/Bell are then options for the left. 

Conway, Weimann, Wells as central options.

This would give us a wide range of options.

With so many substitutes these days, it allows us to keep the intensity up for the whole game. Imagine a defender being run ragged by Bell or someone for 70 minutes, only to see Mehmeti coming on for the last 20+. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It looks to me that Cornick plays either as a striker or as a RW? But can also play on the left, but rarely. 

Where as Mehmeti plays as a Attacking midfielder or a left winger. 

So I really can't see how it's one or the other when they play different positions. 

If we are going 433 like it looks we are then Mehmeti seems to be the player that can take Semenyos position on the left. If we sign Mehmeti then I think we need another one for the left but that can probably wait til the summer. 

I'd be interested to see where we plan on playing Cornick. 

Without getting too rigid on player positions, what we will have if either / both sign is a flexible forward line.

We have seen in recent weeks, in fact, most of the season, that there really is no need to play a target man.  I was brought up on Neville and Riley, two smaller, energetic forwards who made up for lack of inches with endeavour and smart movement.  So I’ve never subscribed to “must have a target man”.

Wells has shown what a clever partner he can be.  He’s played equally well in a two initially this season, and now in a three.

I like the way the squad has potential to shape up.  And just as important is the players that have gone, and might still go.  A busy day ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I hope it’s both, asking any one player to come in and replace Ant is very tough.

But more importantly, Cornick is the type you want when we play against a “possession” team, will press and work and has quality when we win it back. Mehemiti (sp) offers us something when teams come here to sit back, ala PNE, millwall etc. 

two different options, enabling us to solve tactical problems and also change in game as and when, it’s great business. 

Edited by ciderwithtommy
  • Like 1